What a day

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

What a day

Postby kevyg408 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:05 pm

I hunted LDC Saturday for the first time and man was it an experience. We were lucky to get a blind with a high ressi and boy do I feel like we got a great blind. After the fog lifted, we saw more birds than I have in my entire life. It was like we were in a closed zone. We stayed out ALL day to take advantage of such a great hunt. Who else experienced a great day out there or a not so good one?
kevyg408
hunter

Re: What a day

Postby sutterduckhunter » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:58 pm

Maybe you should swap out LDC and make it NVR? :huh:
sutterduckhunter
hunter

Postby Limitsx10 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:16 pm

I had an awesome hunt out there in one of the blinds a coupe of years ago. The same reaction that you had. More birds than I've seen in a long time. Congrats on the hunt. It's day like that that make the slow days staring at an empty blue sky worth it.
Limitsx10
hunter

Postby gaddy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:22 pm

sutterduckhunter wrote:Maybe you should swap out LDC and make it NVR? :huh:

Just swap out nvr with planet earth so no one gets their panties in a bunch :lol3:
You have to shoot 3 1/2in shells to kill ducks. Period.
gaddy
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:24 pm

Slow down boys
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby ducslayer » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:55 pm

gaddy wrote:

Just swap out nvr with planet earth so no one gets their panties in a bunch :lol3:

It wouldn't matter someone would say it was still their X. :crying:
ducslayer
hunter

Postby kevyg408 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:03 pm

This forum never fails to disappoint....
kevyg408
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:10 pm

Wait what is ldc...never heard of it...are you guys keeping secrets on here.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:41 pm

The facts that ldc has birds is not a secret.....
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby calikid » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:47 pm

Whats funny is he didn't say anything about birds killed.it could have been a great hunt by just being out there.
calikid
hunter

Postby WackNstack530 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:19 pm

spoonysmaker wrote:

The facts that ldc has birds is not a secret.....

There are no ducks at LDC, he has no pics so it didn't happen hahaha :grin:
WackNstack530
hunter

Postby KenaiHunter » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:46 pm

This site never fails. Who's cares that the OP said "LDC"......? Get over it, he's telling a story about his hunt, which is what this sites about.

Guess what? On Saturday, my buddies and I had a top resi at Howard. We had an amazing hunt, witnessed a new flight of birds come down from up north, and all got our limits. Let the bitching begin!
KenaiHunter
hunter

Postby gaddy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:21 pm

Im in the sweat line at howard right now! Specks in the parking lot! Snow geese walking on hwy 162 :eek: :hammer:
You have to shoot 3 1/2in shells to kill ducks. Period.
gaddy
hunter

Postby BMan37 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:26 pm

kevyg408 wrote:After the fog lifted, we saw more birds than I have in my entire life. It was like we were in a closed zone.

If you were in any of 1-10 you pretty much were in the closed zone :thumbsup:
BMan37
Newb

Postby picciuto » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Yeah, no one knows LDC has a ton of birds or anything? :huh: I was also at LDC on Saturday and it was the best experience of my life. 3 limits and a snow for 3 guns by 10 a.m. All of them feet down in the decoys! We'll worth the 2 1/2 hour drive. Glad you guys also had a good hunt!! :thumbsup:
picciuto
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:30 pm

I was out there on Sat as well. Thousands of birds flying we had a blast. Managed to put some birds in the strap too :thumbsup:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby steelheadmike » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:50 pm

Who cares if he says he was at LDC? You're only going to get into the top blinds with a rezzie (with 100:1 odds of being drawn I might add). The shoot numbers for the last three days are posted for each blind and they don't refill. There is no secret to how everyone did in each blind. There are no secret spots in the LDC blinds. Get over it.
steelheadmike
hunter

Postby kevyg408 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:56 pm

Well you guys pretty much summed up what I was thinking hahaha, thanks. I'm glad to hear others had the same experience I did. I had opted not to bring my dog on this hunt but If I had, it easily would have been the best hunt day of my life. I actually had felt that way a few weeks ago after a hunt at Sac where I only got 3 birds, but my dogs first time out and his performance made it special. This is turning out to be the best season I've had so far, and its not even because of the numbers of birds I've brought home.

Its definitely changing my ideas of leasing a blind. I mean it would obviously have some huge perks and I would love it without a doubt. But there wouldn't be that excitement of checking ressi's every 10 minutes, there wouldn't be the surprising blind you get with a high ressi, there wouldn't be those evenings walking off the refuge after a hard day of getting to your spot and setting up your spread. The list goes on, and certainly its different for all private blinds and public refuges, but there sure is something special about public land hunting.
kevyg408
hunter

Postby kevyg408 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:10 am

... And on the note of me mentioning LDC, it really comes off as a huge insecurity to me of ones hunting ability when they get all protective and defensive of the slightest mentions of anything that might bring other hunters success. When I got to the check station, I began chatting with a really nice guy who hunts LDC a lot. I told him it was my first time there and he began telling me things I never dreamed I would hear from another duck hunter. But after some time in the ponds out there when everything he had said turned out to be exactly right, it became clear that he gave zero chits about what information he gave me on certain areas because he knew hearing things alone doesn't equal success. Its about knowing how and when to hunt certain areas, its about having a great experience, and its about making the most of this sport. I completely recognize the element of time spent in the field to learn things the hard way and how certain areas can get bombarded with hunters when they become known by the masses. But if mentioning LDC or some good areas is going to ruin your success as a hunter, than you're not much of a hunter, and THAT you should feel insecure about.
kevyg408
hunter

Postby sutterduckhunter » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:20 am

kevyg408 wrote:... And on the note of me mentioning LDC, it really comes off as a huge insecurity to me of ones hunting ability when they get all protective and defensive of the slightest mentions of anything that might bring other hunters success. When I got to the check station, I began chatting with a really nice guy who hunts LDC a lot. I told him it was my first time there and he began telling me things I never dreamed I would hear from another duck hunter. But after some time in the ponds out there when everything he had said turned out to be exactly right, it became clear that he gave zero chits about what information he gave me on certain areas because he knew hearing things alone doesn't equal success. Its about knowing how and when to hunt certain areas, its about having a great experience, and its about making the most of this sport. I completely recognize the element of time spent in the field to learn things the hard way and how certain areas can get bombarded with hunters when they become known by the masses. But if mentioning LDC or some good areas is going to ruin your success as a hunter, than you're not much of a hunter, and THAT you should feel insecure about.

You obviously don't understand the importance of keeping good info on the down low...LDC had been pretty crappy for the last 4 wks, +- a few days. One could lotto the night before and expect to get on with a decent number or pick. Now that 20 people come on here and say they had the best hunt of their life at LDC, you can surely bet that it will be nearly impossible to lotto on with a good number. I know we are all aware of what refuges shoot best, but don't advertise it when it starts getting hot. You are going to do what you want and I won't convince you of changing your mind. May you pull a 200 or 220 lotto # in your future. :thumbsup:
sutterduckhunter
hunter

Postby kevyg408 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Good luck with the rest of your season sutter.
kevyg408
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:33 pm

You obviously don't understand the importance of keeping good info on the down low...LDC had been pretty crappy for the last 4 wks, +- a few days. One could lotto the night before and expect to get on with a decent number or pick. Now that 20 people come on here and say they had the best hunt of their life at LDC, you can surely bet that it will be nearly impossible to lotto on with a good number. I know we are all aware of what refuges shoot best, but don't advertise it when it starts getting hot. You are going to do what you want and I won't convince you of changing your mind. May you pull a 200 or 220 lotto # in your future. :thumbsup:[/quote]

well if we are worried about such things why would your handle be Sutterhunter?.....didn't you just burn Sutter?
darkwater27
hunter

Postby sutterduckhunter » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:27 pm

darkwater27 wrote:You obviously don't understand the importance of keeping good info on the down low...LDC had been pretty crappy for the last 4 wks, +- a few days. One could lotto the night before and expect to get on with a decent number or pick. Now that 20 people come on here and say they had the best hunt of their life at LDC, you can surely bet that it will be nearly impossible to lotto on with a good number. I know we are all aware of what refuges shoot best, but don't advertise it when it starts getting hot. You are going to do what you want and I won't convince you of changing your mind. May you pull a 200 or 220 lotto # in your future. :thumbsup:

well if we are worried about such things why would your handle be Sutterhunter?.....didn't you just burn Sutter?[/quote]
You didn't even get my handle straight! Sutterduckhunter...I used to hunt in Sutter County, oops spot burn. :hi:
sutterduckhunter
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:35 am

The truth of the matter is I'm just unhappy, because I've never drawn or been able to lotto in to LDC.... :crying:
darkwater27
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:39 pm

I was at ldc Saturday... And here's what I saw

My pup continually pointing at the tuley cluster behind me, jumping in looking for something to no avail...
Then as we were picking up decoys...
Pulled a wigeon out of a different pile that was shot maybe 4 hours earlier that we couldn't find. She gave it one last search and made me proud.

That's the memory I'll take home and share from my first adventure there.
Tomorrow's adventure?
Well... That has yet to be determined.
Attachments
image.jpg
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting