Tips for Cooking Canvasback Duck ?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Tips for Cooking Canvasback Duck ?

Postby terenceb » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:45 pm

Hey Guys,

I got my first Canvasback (drake if anyone was wondering) on Saturday hunting with my Dad at Don Edwards. Was a clean headshot, so the body is in tact and I have had it aging in the fridge since Saturday afternoon. I've heard good things about Canvasbacks, and guys swear they're the "King of Ducks" and "the best tasting." All this pressure has got me nervous, and I don't want to mess it up when cooking.

Any suggestions for how to cook this bad boy?

Thanks!
terenceb
hunter

Re: Tips for Cooking Canvasback Duck ?

Postby DuckFan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:53 pm

here is one recipe for you...from one of the great wild game chefs:

http://honest-food.net/2011/12/11/canvasback-king-of-ducks/
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby Limitsx10 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:03 pm

First off Congrats on the Can. I love them. They are big and, for a wild duck, taste great. However you cook other ducks the Canvasback will taste even better. Just don't make jerky out of it. It deserves better.

If I'm lazy I'll brine and BBQ ducks to med rare and serve with wild rice. Not bad, but when I get Cans I like to come up with a little more adventurous recipe. A good source is Shaw's Duck, Duck, Goose Cookbook or his website.

Congrats again and enjoy.
Limitsx10
hunter

Postby DarenDeath » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:24 pm

Nice job on the Can. They are not as easy as people think.
I think even Hank Shaw will tell you to just cook the meat, not the skin on the bay ducks. I have his new duck and goose book, and it states something along the way of any birds from salty water will have a fishy taste
DarenDeath
hunter

Postby terenceb » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks for all the replies and well wishes. I'll def try and brine it then, as I don't think I would like a fishy tasting duck haha.

Thanks again, and good luck to everyone!
terenceb
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:11 pm

PS

I had a couple on the BBQ at Thanksgiving.

So, even the BBQ works. Don't over cook

Nice Red Cab goes well too

Let us know how it goes

Yum
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby terenceb » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks, I'll def let everyone know how it goes, and post some pics too! ;)
terenceb
hunter

Postby stew870 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:26 pm

I whole roast my cans ,mallards and pintail . I soak them in in 7up and Worcestershire for at least 12 hrs . rinse them off . coat in butter or olive oil season with sea salt and pepper stuff the bird with rosemary ,garlic , white onion and a orange slice . preheat oven to 500deg. cook bird for 23 to 25 mins . at the half way mark I baste with melted butter Worcestershire and juiced squeezed from an orange . when done let rest for ten mins . dont put birds in the oven until they are at room temp
The grass is greener where you water it .
stew870
hunter

Postby ko1featherweigh » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:52 pm

i cant say for canvas backs but brine helps all the ducks ive cooked. brine for 3-4 days i normaly roast them in the oven. olive oil garlic powder, onion powder, soy sauce. and like others have said dont over cook.
ko1featherweigh
hunter

Postby yeltrk05 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:22 pm

Definetly brine in salt water for 24 hours, then marinate 24 hours in Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, tiny bit of hot sauce, pepper, garlic, onion powder, grill over med to high heat . I use this for all my duck breast....do not over cook
yeltrk05
hunter

Postby terenceb » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll definitely brine it, but does it still work if the skin/ fat is left on? Or do I need to skin it first and then brine it?
terenceb
hunter

Postby stew870 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:33 pm

leave the skin on
The grass is greener where you water it .
stew870
hunter

Postby chinogoose » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:30 am

X2 Leave the skin on and Great job on your Can :thumbsup:
chinogoose
hunter

Postby terenceb » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Alrite thanks again everyone! I plucked and gutted it yesterday...froze it in a solid block of ice last night and am probably going to defrost it/ brine it on December 20th to roast it December 24th for a Christmas party. Hopefully it turns out good. Thanks again for the congrats and tips on cooking my first Can!
terenceb
hunter

Postby terenceb » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:04 pm

BTW, I'll update this thread on the 24th with some pics of the final product :) after all, everyone on here is the "chef" to some extent, since we all contributed haha.
terenceb
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 pm

yea leave the skin on. we soak the breasts in salt water for 10 or so hours. then get a patatoe cut it in half put in on the pan then put the duck breast on top put some salt,pepper, and garlic salt in it then cover it in bacon. put it in the over for a little over an hour. very tasty and simple
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby Limitsx10 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:31 pm

terenceb wrote:BTW, I'll update this thread on the 24th with some pics of the final product :) after all, everyone on here is the "chef" to some extent, since we all contributed haha.

Sounds good, let us know how it goes. I'm planning on making some for Christmas too. I have 2 in the freezer and going out Saturday to hopefully pick up a couple more. I love the new 2 bird limit.
Limitsx10
hunter

Postby Butta boom » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:35 pm

Cans can go two ways, if you get a good one, there is nothing like it. If you get a bad one there is also nothing like it. Good Luck.
Butta boom
hunter

Postby ShootThemInTheEye » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:35 pm

Butta boom wrote:Cans can go two ways, if you get a good one, there is nothing like it. If you get a bad one there is also nothing like it. Good Luck.

Amen
ShootThemInTheEye
hunter

Postby Southcan » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:13 am

Butta boom wrote:Cans can go two ways, if you get a good one, there is nothing like it. If you get a bad one there is also nothing like it. Good Luck.

We get a ton of cans at our club in the south grasslands and they have all tasted outstanding, have yet to be disappointed. That being said if you hunt near coastal areas I could see where you could get a bad one.
Southcan
hunter

Postby terenceb » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Oh man, hopefully this Canvasback will go the good way then!
terenceb
hunter

Postby terenceb » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:44 pm

So the Canvasbacks turned out great...Dad and I roasted our two Cans after rubbing them down with salt, pepper, and olive oil...stuffed the bodies with rosemary, onions and carrots. After they were done we made a ravioli stuffing out of the meat...stuffed the raviolis and boiled them. Made a Marsala wine sauce to drizzle on top of them with caramalized onions and mushrooms. Drizzled over the plated raviolis and served. Everyone loved em...best tasting duck (ravioli for that matter) I've ever had.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, and hope you had a Merry Christmas!
terenceb
hunter

Postby Huck » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:30 pm

I shot my first canvasback last year and was very excited to cook it. I let it rest on the counter to get to room temperature with some dry rub under the beautiful skin and then put it on the grill. I went inside the house to get something and when I returned the BBQ was fully engulfed in flame. The can's beautiful fat layer had caught fire. I grabbed the now charred duck off the grill and felt utter defeat looking at the charred black skin. Then in a moment of denial and desperation I thought "maybe there is something to salvage inside". I scraped the hard black skin off and cut in to the meat. I discovered the meat was only slightly overdone, a medium rare. The can despite being overcooked was absolutely the best duck I've ever eaten. I gnawed the carcass for every morsel on it. I hope you enjoyed yours as much as I enjoyed mine.
Huck
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting