Delta

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Delta

Postby Laughing Malard » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:10 am

I am new to this chat board but have a boat and want to hunt the delta. I hear lots of stories about locals being territorial etc... I know legally any blind is fair game but I couldn't jump in someone else's hard work, that just doesn't seem right. My boat is pretty good so I can go pretty much anywhere. Not looking for any specifics but any input on a starting point would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Laughing Malard
hunter

Re: Delta

Postby norcalweaz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:29 am

Your gonna get a load of crap for this thread. Launch anywhere and hunt an afternoon. Watch the tides and be safe. Hopefully shoot some birds too.
norcalweaz
hunter

Postby Portuguese Duck Slayer » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:15 am

norcalweaz wrote:Your gonna get a load of crap for this thread. Launch anywhere and hunt an afternoon. Watch the tides and be safe. Hopefully shoot some birds too.

Unfortunately true. As learning any area..... do it during the daylight. First few trips birds are a bonus.
Portuguese Duck Slayer
hunter

Postby rm85 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:44 am

What part of the delta do you wanna hunt
rm85
hunter

Postby #1wingnut » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Welcome to the jungle. :welcome:
The best way to learn the delta is to burn gas. Get yourself a good delta map. those water proof ones they sell at the marinas are great. you can find a list of boat launch's on the Fish and game web site. mark em on your map. I use google earth. you can pick it up on your smart phones. check the area out in the day light and keep an eye on the tide. the best and easiest tide table I have found is... http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.d ... sites.html
watch the weather, wear your PFD and be safe. :thumbsup:
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby Laughing Malard » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:26 pm

norcalweaz wrote:Your gonna get a load of crap for this thread. Launch anywhere and hunt an afternoon. Watch the tides and be safe. Hopefully shoot some birds too.

Hopefully not, just want to shoot ducks. Spent last 20 months in Afghanistan I'm sure ill figure it out.
Laughing Malard
hunter

Postby Laughing Malard » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:28 pm

rm85 wrote:What part of the delta do you wanna hunt

Not particular have a good boat so I can get most anywhere. I live in San Jose so ill be driving either way.
Laughing Malard
hunter

Postby Laughing Malard » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:30 pm

#1wingnut wrote:Welcome to the jungle. :welcome:
The best way to learn the delta is to burn gas. Get yourself a good delta map. those water proof ones they sell at the marinas are great. you can find a list of boat launch's on the Fish and game web site. mark em on your map. I use google earth. you can pick it up on your smart phones. check the area out in the day light and keep an eye on the tide. the best and easiest tide table I have found is... http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.d ... sites.html

Thanks I appreciate your input, yes first couple times I'm sure going out in the day to scout is best.
Laughing Malard
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:21 pm

Thanks for your service :beer:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Gazelle » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:15 am

Scouting and running around the delta will be a blast!!! Be carefull. :welcome:
Gazelle
hunter

Postby chinogoose » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:37 am

:welcome: and good luck when you get after them ducks :beer:
chinogoose
hunter

Postby CuppedAddiction247 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:28 pm

#1wingnut wrote:Welcome to the jungle. :welcome:

Wingnut said it right
Capturing experiences,memories and greatness one day at a time
CuppedAddiction247
hunter

Postby rm85 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:02 pm

Find yourself a flooded field an sit in the tules
rm85
hunter

Postby Privileged hunter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:44 pm

Try between Woodward island/bacon island and jones tract
Privileged hunter
hunter

Postby rm85 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Correct me if im wrong but bacon island hasnt flooded all the way an with no weather to get the birds up they will b loafing in the open fields? Nt trying to call u out on ur info but i work bout 30uds from bacon lots of geese but ducks are scarce
rm85
hunter

Postby Laughing Malard » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:55 am

Privileged hunter wrote:Try between Woodward island/bacon island and jones tract

Thank you, appreciate the feed back.
Laughing Malard
hunter

Postby Laughing Malard » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:57 am

rm85 wrote:Correct me if im wrong but bacon island hasnt flooded all the way an with no weather to get the birds up they will b loafing in the open fields? Nt trying to call u out on ur info but i work bout 30uds from bacon lots of geese but ducks are scarce

Thank you probably will only get up that way a few times a year but looking forward to the experience.
Laughing Malard
hunter

Postby GREENTOP CHASER » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:34 pm

I hunted delta a few times as a newbe. The way I found my spot was duck hunting with a buddy as a guest in a WU property. We watched mallard after mallard dive into this flooded timber island in middle of delta. Took boat out there got GPS and aksed my game warden buddy if it was legal to hunt there? A phone call later he said yes that's public land have at it. Next day we where off. Had some really good hunts there and then had days where never lifted gun. So drive public roads and use binos to find the birds. But there's alot of private all over. Make sure you use map or GPS and check with a warden. They usually have no problem helping you find the public land. Scouting in what make the hunt! Good Luck out there.
GREENTOP CHASER
hunter

Postby Hogbutt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:29 am

Be sure to have working navigation lights while traveling in darkness and especially in the fog. Also set your waypoints when you find your spot you plan on hunting. If it's a foggy morning you can get disoriented very easy and get lost even with a gps. FYI I believe a citation for not having navigation lights after dark is around $300 bucks. Good luck hunting.
Hogbutt
hunter

Postby Privileged hunter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:52 pm

Delta
Attachments
IMAG0844-1.jpg
Privileged hunter
hunter

Postby Privileged hunter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:55 pm

G
Attachments
IMAG0053-1-1.jpg
Privileged hunter
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:18 am

For the most part almost nobody on the Ca board will tell you anything and if you ask anything about location they get their panties in a bunch. The delta is a huge place and for someone new I know you wouldn't have a clue where to start. You could Cruz the delta all day and not see a duck or a good place to hunt. I will tell you a pretty good place at least for divers and a few puddle ducks. The Montezuma Slough area. Go as if you are going to grizzly island. On grizzly is. Rd there is a launch area called Beldan landing, . It is just before you go over a bridge, you can't miss it. There are lots of places to hunt from a boat around there. Before you actually go hunting you need to explore and scout the area. It's also a great fishing area. I have been hunting the area for 30 years and know it pretty well. It's not like hunting a rice blind or a refuge there is a lot to learn and know. If you want to go out there some Saturday in the near future I'd be happy to meet you there and show you around and tell you what you need to know. Let me know if you are interested. Also let me know what kind of boat you have and how big it is.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:16 pm

Nice offer :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting