Duck Hunting Forum banner

Interesting Sight on I5

5K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  dj youth duckhunter 
#1 ·
I was coming into Sacramento last Saturday night after a few memorable days of hunting the sink. As I was just about over the American/Sac River, I noticed a fellow hunters rig up ahead with the usual Ducks Unlimited sticker sported on the back and a refuge carts handlebars sticking out the back. As a fellow refuge hunter, I am always looking for new ideas for cart setups and designs, so I sped up a little to see their cart, which was obviously not a Cabelas/Jet sled setup.

As I got closer, I noticed it was a very famous, or infamous, truck by the info provided on the truck. I have had no problems with these guys, as I usually ignored the gossip and drama surrounding them, and was a couple car lengths behind them. The cart was pretty awesome, obviously a custom welded jobber, but something was tied to the handlebar and was dangling out the tailgate. At first I thought it was a piece of garbage, but then realized it was in fact a strap of ducks!

Now, at first I thought it was pretty hilarious, and even chuckled a bit as I passed them by. I shrugged it off as a group of guys who had had a good day and were proud of it, banging their chest so to speak. But as I got further down the road, I thought more about the strap of dead birds smiling back at the cars behind their truck and realized maybe I had a problem with it. I can understand (kinda) someone driving to the check station or maybe into Live oak or Gridley with some birds floppin around the back of their truck for everyone to see. But going down I5 70 mph at 6 in the evening on a Saturday? I dunno, it seems like that's just asking for the wrong type of attention. I would hate for someone who does not understand hunting to be offended by a strap of ducks staring back at them for 30 miles.

Anyways, that's my take on the issue. I hope the gentlemen who were in the truck see my take on their actions and maybe consider a different approach on their next hunt. Things are just starting to pick up out there, so lets enjoy the 2 months we got left!

See less See more
#5 ·
bowman13 said:
No names from me, just the story. I think it was more of the action than the people behind the action.
Knowing what people they are may explain the action. I mean have you seen their videos. It explains it all.

#8 ·
when one of his players celebrated after making a touchdown
Tom Landry said..."act like you've been there before son"
No more post-touchdown celebrations for the Cowboys after that

at least not in the Landry dynasty

#9 ·
When your starting out, you want everyone to know that you bagged birds. Your proud of your accomplishment and want everyone to know that. Cluttering your rig with decals and showing your passion is just a way of sharing with others that you are a true fan. I personally don't care how you share your success and faith but displaying them in such a manner that says "Hey look what I killed" seems a bit overboard.

Maybe someone will come up with bird flags like they use for big game fishing. You can have a collection of them and fly em on your light bar or whip antenna. I would fly my coot flag everyday and on good days I'd throw up my spoonie flag.

#10 ·
friedcoot said:
Maybe someone will come up with bird flags like they use for big game fishing. You can have a collection of them and fly em on your light bar or whip antenna. I would fly my coot flag everyday and on good days I'd throw up my spoonie flag.
ChaChing...I like it :thumbsup:

#11 ·
I can remember coming home from a successful deer hunt (20 years ago) in a CJ-5 ,3 men and 4 bucks, a very good day! We ran around 50-50 on reaction on HWY 680 some for, some against. Today I would think twice before displaying dead animals for the simple fact that a fence sitter on the hunting issue may be pushed to the dark side. We already have enough haters to fight.

#13 ·
I understand where you are coming from but only in CA would people have a big problem with that. I just got back from deer hunting in Texas this past week and on the ride back to the airport there was a pickup with a quad in the back. On the tool box was a buck tied down and on each side of the quad were dead hogs. The best part was that they placed a dead hog on the top of the bike making it look like it was driving the bike. I thought it was fantastic but couldn't imagine what people in CA would think if they saw that??

#15 ·
Definitley not a generational thing. That would imply that most people that age act this way and that's not true. I have young adult children and they are not idiots. I also hunt with a few tenty something folks I work with and they are not idiots either. They don't and wouldn't do such a stupid thing. This is an idiot thing not generational.

#16 ·
Hey, I'd just be worried that the strap would come loose and I'd loose all those ducks. For that reason alone it seems stupid. One night on the way back from a hunt at Wister I passed a semi with a trailer bed full of chicken coups on the way to the slaughter. Half of them looked dead with their heads flopping out the side of the cages and it stunk. I felt kind of proud of myself for the way I killed my food that day, but if I had them out in the back of my truck for all to see, maybe I wouldn't have been any diff than the chicken truck.?

#17 ·
darkwater27 said:
its really just about mentality, today's younger folks expect quick results and want the whole world to know their story, I'm sure the guys in that truck had already posted photos on their facebook pages and so forth....its just a generation thing......
Disagree completely. I know plenty of younger hunters that absolutely understand that these jackwagons are pathetic. This should not reflect poorly on anyone other than these look at me look at me drama queens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

#18 ·
pretty sure its against the law to display game like that to the public? we had a warden get mad at us because you could see half the rack sticking up outa the bed out our truck. it was a monster buck...but he said we should cover it so people couldnt see it. its not like we had it propped up in the back so people could see it either. we didnt get a ticket but it was more of a warning i guess. correct me if im wrong on this

#21 ·
Disagree completely. I know plenty of younger hunters that absolutely understand that these jackwagons are pathetic. This should not reflect poorly on anyone other than these look at me look at me drama queens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk[/quote]

My comment was regarding the youth of today, not all youth hunters.......next time you go out to dinner find a family with teenagers with them, notice how much time is spent on phones vs talking to each other....

#22 ·
I'm not one to tell people how to go about their business, but IMO that kind of stuff merit's serious repercussions. If you don't have the decency to show respect for what you've just killed than you have no business calling yourself a hunter.

I agree it's not generational (I'm 22), but it seems like there's a lot more young guys doing stupid stuff comparatively.

#26 ·
mendotakiller said:
pretty sure its against the law to display game like that to the public? we had a warden get mad at us because you could see half the rack sticking up outa the bed out our truck. it was a monster buck...but he said we should cover it so people couldnt see it. its not like we had it propped up in the back so people could see it either. we didnt get a ticket but it was more of a warning i guess. correct me if im wrong on this
Your wrong on this.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the river

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.