Getting a #1 Reservation - a lot of pressure!

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Getting a #1 Reservation - a lot of pressure!

Postby dave3006 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:29 pm

I got my first #1 reservation for Wister. My son will be back from college and we will go on our second hunt of the year together. I feel like I hit the lottery. It is funny though. I am already feeling the pressure not to screw up and pick a bad spot.

Last time my son and I went, we were 23rd in the sweatline. We had absolutely zero expectations. It ended up being a good hunt and we got a good blind. We shot 6 birds a piece.

I know that the quality of a hunt isn't about how many birds you kill. But, I have a feeling picking a slow blind with a #1 reservation will be much more painful than picking a slow blind when you are at the end of the sweatline.

It is a whole different mental dynamic.
dave3006
hunter

Re: Getting a #1 Reservation - a lot of pressure!

Postby kevyg408 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:58 pm

I can relate. A few years ago I had a #1 and you automatically feel that with #1, you should get the best blind. But it just doesn't work that way unfortunately. I would just say that If you pay attention to what the weather is going to do, and when certain blinds do well, you can take comfort in the fact that you will be in a good blind. Focus on the plus of having more time to set up your spread and settle in to your blind. A couple weeks ago I took one of the last blinds at an NVR and shot as good as the rest...just throwin that out there.
kevyg408
hunter

Postby pork4life » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:13 pm

At Wister they are having a bad situation with the water so make sure you know if the pond has water or not.

That said I know people that will always leave that place with limits of quality birds no matter where they go, with that said make sure you make your oppurtunities count... don't skybust and have a good time.

With the recent weather there should be some new birds that have made their way down.... so good luck.
Rick Hall wrote:If you look close, you'll see "momma" has a pecker.
pork4life
hunter

Postby dave3006 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Here are a couple general questions on blind selection at Wister that shouldn't upset anyone since the questions are general in nature:

1. If you had a choice between a blind near a closed zone or a blind near the sea, which would you choose?

2. Do you generally like the middle spot in a sector or the edges?

3. Are there wind conditions that make a spot near the sea a good choice?
dave3006
hunter

Postby ditchbanker » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:32 pm

I had a #1 at the Lodge a couple years ago
I know where most people would go...but I didn't want that headache
so I went to another spot I have always been beaten to get at

Granted I was not racing to leave the lot...maybe 3 or 4 trucks got out in front of me
When I got to the lot I wanted
2 rigs were already there
Something was definitely fishy
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
ditchbanker
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:15 pm

I haven't hunted Wister for about 8 years. Where I am now, there's 10 inches of snow and everything is frozen solid. I'm jealous, whether its first pick or last, I'd just like to be there. I hate to get first pick, like you say the pressure is on, and I've picked crappy and still done well there. I'd tell you exactly where I'd go, but it wouldn't be worth a plugged nickel, since I haven't been there in a good while. Good luck, and have fun.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby coot_poop » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Hey Dave, When I get home I'll look at a map I have. My experience there is pretty limited, but I went there this time last year and we had a lot of fun, lots of pintails and wigeon. Traditionally it sounds like the 115-B ponds are some of the best. I believe they still post numbers on the left side of the check in area. I'll post again tomorrow if I can find my map, hopefully some useful info for ya. It sounds like near the closed zone is a pretty safe bet, and as far as the edge or middle, I usually try to go where the best cover/water is, as cover is pretty sparse out there. Good luck, have fun!
coot_poop
Newb

Postby dave3006 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:19 am

Thanks. Things have changed quite a bit at Wister. Maybe 20% of the sites don't even have water. 115B is and example of a spot out of water. The U's and the T's have always been top spots in the past. Now, they have water problems and resemble the surface of the moon. Wister doesn't post kill sheets anymore. I get that. But, they also don't tell you if the spot you plan to choose has water or cover. I think that is pretty lame. They used to have a white board with conditions posted. Not any more.

Did the 114s used to be a closed zone? I don't seem to remember them available in the past.
dave3006
hunter

Postby Wooduckschmuck » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:00 pm

It can be so stressful! We had a decent ressi last Saturday after the weather and picked the wrong assigned pond for heavy fog, apparently. It sounded like a war zone all around us but not a single duck flew by us the first 45 min. after shoot time. We really didn't miss any birds that came within range, and ended up with 3 nice birds a piece, but had to return to a parking lot of crap eating grins and limits. We were walking out around 2pm and some guy says they got 2 limits after refilling at 12:30. He wasn't hanging straps so I have been trying to console myself and say it was a pile of spoonies. None the less, we wanted to drown ourselves.
Wooduckschmuck
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:50 pm

114A and 114 B were closed zones last time I hunted there. The Y15b and sometimes the y16's fields were very popular for goose hunters. I think one of the 115c blinds is deeper water, maybe 3 I can't remember. Sad to hear that many ponds are dry. I doubt Wister will survive San Diego sucking up all the water.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting