Today

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Today

Postby zapper » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:22 pm

I could not believe the amount of skybusters today!! Did not even try to let the birds work. Not to mention..I saw a speck get dropped from like 70-80 yards up in the sky. I could not believe it. People out there hunting WITHOUT ANY DECOYS. Taking 1 shot just to flare the birds off if it was not going into their pond...UNBELIEVABLE! Nonetheless, it was still a fun day!
zapper
hunter
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:10 am
Location: Sacramento


Re: Today

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:52 pm

That doesn't sound fun at all!


Sent from an undisclosed location on the river
join the Coot Crusaders!!!
User avatar
Bootlipkiller
hunter
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:52 am
Location: you stay classy Sutter County. Im Ron Burgandy???

Re: Today

Postby bellabitch » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:24 am

it is an epidemic. I left a note on the vehicle window of some guys who were out of line. I would have hiked over and confronted them but I didn't want to get into a confrontation. When I was younger and more full of myself I may have tried some of that crap myself and would have welcomed some schooling to set me straight. It would have been a good reminder that I am not the only one on this planet. I think a friendly note is a good idea. :thumbsup: :hi:
User avatar
bellabitch
hunter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:57 pm
Location: Davis, CA

Re: Today

Postby bellabitch » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:35 am

on the other hand... I am impressed by some of the shots I have seen recently. it is making me rethink my decision not to get a Viagra prescription. I have seen some of these young bucks make shots that I may have passed on when I used to reload my super dooper 1 1/2 oz loads of #4 lead back in the old times. Simply shocking. As for me, I still prefer to see the birds commit and have their feet dangling - hard to do on the refuge - but every once in a while the other guys are busy reloading or chasing cripples 200 yards away from their blind and it works out for me. Let 'em work boys!!! :beer:
User avatar
bellabitch
hunter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:57 pm
Location: Davis, CA

Re: Today

Postby Tyrtruion » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:08 am

I sky busted today...
Well let me elaborate. I had my limit at 8:20am and about 9:30 threw three rounds at 2 specs that were about 80yds high...
After that the only thing I shot was video. Watching birds work and lock up into the deeks.... An amazing sight. Fun to watch how the birds react differently when you can't shoot anymore...no sudden movements jerking a gun up. More people should wait on those passing shots and maybe more good things will happen
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:26 am
Location: Reno, Nv.

Re: Today

Postby sutterduckhunter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:09 pm

Tyrtruion wrote:I sky busted today...
Well let me elaborate. I had my limit at 8:20am and about 9:30 threw three rounds at 2 specs that were about 80yds high...
After that the only thing I shot was video. Watching birds work and lock up into the deeks.... An amazing sight. Fun to watch how the birds react differently when you can't shoot anymore...no sudden movements jerking a gun up. More people should wait on those passing shots and maybe more good things will happen

a self admitting skybuster...Nice work, I dont know how you can live with yourself. :fingerpt:
sutterduckhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:37 pm

Re: Today

Postby PaulyQuackers » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:38 pm

Is it still considered skybusting, if you take an 80 yard shot at a duck going away, because you didn't get it at 40 yards? I've done that, because it's too tempting not to pull the trigger, since the duck may already be wounded.
User avatar
PaulyQuackers
hunter
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:16 pm
Location: Fresno, California

Re: Today

Postby Limitsx10 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:16 pm

PaulyQuackers wrote:Is it still considered skybusting, if you take an 80 yard shot at a duck going away, because you didn't get it at 40 yards? I've done that, because it's too tempting not to pull the trigger, since the duck may already be wounded.


You probably have to answer that for yourself on a shot by shot basis. But for me, if I know I winged a duck, ie it made the big flinch locked up and started sailing, I keep shooting until it's down or I'm out of shells. If I know I missed or I think I'm going to get lucky on that last shot, I pass. Heck, I just missed it probably twice between 30 and 50 yards, what are the odds I'm going to get a clean kill even if I do hit it out beyond 50 or 60 yards?
Limitsx10
hunter
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:50 am

Re: Today

Postby norcalweaz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:49 pm

Yeh the busting gets worse every year. Was at a refuge last weekend and set up in my usual off the beaten path spot then close to start time was crowded by 3 groups. I had birds circling as good as I could was very pleased with my calling. Problem was whenever they would turn people would shoot at that 60 yard bird. Me and my hunting partner will go home with no birds before blasting at anything past 30 maybe 35 depending on spot but always try for the in your face shot. We aren't out there to survive we are out there for the sport and the foods a nice bonus. Too many people hunting for a show off strap. If everyone waited til the birds were close they would stay close. The bird you shot at 10 feet is a better memory than the one you winged at 50+
User avatar
norcalweaz
hunter
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Today

Postby nut4duck » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Tyrtruion wrote:I sky busted today...
Well let me elaborate. I had my limit at 8:20am and about 9:30 threw three rounds at 2 specs that were about 80yds high...


Why..... :huh: :no: :rolleyes:
nut4duck
hunter
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:40 pm
Location: central valley swamps

Re: Today

Postby marsh-mello » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:18 pm

bellabitch wrote:it is an epidemic. :hi:


I disagree it's a pandemic...a tragic epidemic on a larger scale. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:30 pm

Re: Today

Postby DUKHNER » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:30 pm

I hunt without decoys all the time! If your where they want to be, then why even set out decoys. I've had people cuss at me across a pond because I was slaughtering the birds, with no decoys. That was mentioned in the cussing. Regardless, the busting is out of control lately. I watched a guy the other day shooting 80+ on a regular basis. Down right ridiculous!
User avatar
DUKHNER
hunter
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:04 pm
Location: San Carlos

Re: Today

Postby PaulyQuackers » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:13 am

Limitsx10 wrote: I just missed it probably twice between 30 and 50 yards, what are the odds I'm going to get a clean kill even if I do hit it out beyond 50 or 60 yards?


The odds are pretty good, if you are my cousin Frank. I don't know how he does it, and I know a few people that are really good at the going away shot, but they only do it to back up someone who just missed. I'm not as good as them, but I get an itchy trigger finger when I miss the first shot, and I can't stand wasting a single shot.

norcalweaz wrote:Yeh the busting gets worse every year.


You just made me realize that I've been saying the same exact thing since back in the 80's. I think this sport has gotten way out of control with the $20 to $30 boxes of shells that people don't seem to have any problem investing their entire life savings in. There doesn't seem to be any end to this obsession that people have to shoot ducks further and farther away. I pride myself on spending as little as possible on shells. I bought a small box of Hevi Shot once, and that was the stupidest waste of money I've ever spent on duck hunting. I don't need to make a long shot, because what I get the biggest kick out of in duck hunting, is calling in birds close enough to get a clean kill. I stopped going to a place, because they wouldn't let a single goose pass without shooting at it, no matter how high it was, and that was bar none the best place to hunt at one time.

Duck hunting with out any decoys??? That just defies all logic.
User avatar
PaulyQuackers
hunter
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:16 pm
Location: Fresno, California

Re: Today

Postby Calikev » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:51 pm

A good indicator for most skybusters is how many shells they shoot. Most I've witnessed shoot a lot of shells to harvest one bird. They are capable of getting a few of them but what they don't realize is even when choked properly, shooting the same loads that at those ranges there are so many variables that can lead to a cripple or miss. Pattern performance is shaky at long distances even with wad stripping chokes and big bb's. Shell to shell can be different enough to produce inconsistent results. However, wind and shooter ability play even a bigger role. One little twitch at the shooter can lead to being several feet off at the target which results in a poor hit or no hit. New shooters or juniors could be an exception to this.

I can always identify the skybusters on the refuges I hunt. When I hear tremendous obnoxious shooting I can usually bet it is a group of skybusters. Even certain ponds attract them. Geese also attract them, especially snows that have no interest in decoying on most refuges. They are bigger targets so guys can hit them fairly easily. Then something sickening usually occurs. Either they cripple them and they sail off or they hit them and they die hours or even days later. I've seen the aftermath first hand more than once and it is heartbreaking to see majestic birds wasted like that. These birds fly thousands of miles across every element known to man to come down here and die a horrible death. Hunters owe them more respect than that.

The only weapon in ever controlling the madness is regulation and enforcement. Regulations can be where you let hunters go, how they are spaced, type of shells, gauge you allow, etc.

Enforcement is much tougher because of thin resources. However, it has the most profound effect on controlling hunter behavior if a solid presence is detected. Especially if they are consistently showing up in problem areas and dealing with the folks who are causing the issues. I would personally like to see more folks cited for wanton waste or ejected for shooting too high. It is just too subjective for most officers to get involved with. It has to be blatant.

One thing I've learned is most skybusters are lawbreakers in other areas too. It is an ethics, character thing IMO.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:14 pm
Location: Oakdale


Return to California Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fast flyer, Sgtstadanko707 and 29 guests