single reed or double reed?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

single reed or double reed?

Postby darkwater27 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:42 pm

Let me start by saying I don't let out much more than a few quacks on the mallard call, but I was buying cheaper double reeds up until last year when I won an auction for a Outlaw call, the guys in the booth had me blow a single reed and we all agreed that it sounded good so I went with it.

So my question is do folks consider double reeds easier to blow?

thanks for any input.......

Doug
darkwater27
hunter

Re: single reed or double reed?

Postby takemnow » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:05 pm

I think I'm a lot like you, using single & double quacks much more than hail calls or come back calls. I will probably never be invited to attend, let alone compete in a calling competition. All that being said; I find a double reed easier to blow than a single call. The two mallard calls on my lanyard are a Quack Head and a BGB. if I could have only one call with me at a fuge, it would be a whistle. YMMV.

Eric
takemnow
hunter

Postby Tommyo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:39 pm

both!
Find a way when there is no way.
Tommyo
hunter

Postby JonD » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:48 pm

A good single reed can do it all. I would look for either a Echo Timber or the J.J. Lares hybrid. I'm sure others have there favorites but I use the J.J. Lares hybrid now and absolutely love it. Get a good single reed call and a whistle and you'll be good to go.
JonD
hunter

Postby SmackinTheQuackin » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Pick one and get good on it. A double reed is pretty good to learn with because it will help put the quack into your calling but once you get good on it pick up a single and the versatility will amaze you. I use both, just depends on the situation.
HUNT TO HUNT ANOTHER DAY

CONTRA COSTA COUNTY DUCKS UNLIMITED CHAPTER

"hold my beer...watch this"
SmackinTheQuackin
hunter

Postby rm85 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:21 pm

I myself have both on my lanyard. But i tend to use the single more cuz my double reed call (baby buck) doesnt seem correct no matter what i do but a good double reed call is cool way to easy for ur chuckle
rm85
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting