Input on yolo this year?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Input on yolo this year?

Postby RyanOvertime » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:20 am

How's it shooting? Anyone willing to throw down some info? How are the blinds out here? Never been got a low draw # so I'll be out there this weekend. Thanks.
RyanOvertime
hunter

Re: Input on yolo this year?

Postby bellabitch » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:14 am

Yolo has a zillion birds in the rice up by the freeway. As soon as soon as it gets light and or the shooting starts - that is where they all go. With clear skies and no wind that is what you can expect. The guys that get up in the rice do pretty good - If you want to hunt the blinds - bring a lot of camo material - there is not a lick of cover left on them - and a shovel and garbage sack - to clean out all the garbage inside. Have fun. - Oh... I think spoonies are the number one bird being shot out there - but it could be teal. :thumbsup:
bellabitch
hunter

Postby heispoonbuster » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:26 am

a lot of wigeon on weds. spoons too
check the #s before you pick a blind all are shooting ,some better than others
heispoonbuster
hunter

Postby maritimeshed » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:33 pm

Go to the rice. Worth the walk
maritimeshed
hunter

Postby DarenDeath » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:48 pm

I plan to refill in the late morning. I'm shooting solo now, if you are too, maybe we can team up.
DarenDeath
hunter

Postby butte7 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:15 pm

Do you know what time in the morning they call out the lottery numbers to see who's still there waiting to refill? :huh:
butte7
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:59 pm

butte7 wrote:Do you know what time in the morning they call out the lottery numbers to see who's still there waiting to refill? :huh:

If it's anything like the sac complex refuges it's at 8am
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby RyanOvertime » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:56 pm

Is there good cover here?
RyanOvertime
hunter

Postby butte7 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:17 pm

Not if you're going to the blinds. they're just muddy islands with a 5 yard radius and a pit in the center. Bring a machete out and cut cover off the road before you head to the pit
butte7
hunter

Postby Sprig-Speck Hunter » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:10 am

Yolo is AWFUL!!!! Dont go there. I suggest the other 5 NVRS, Yolo is overcrowded with West Sacramento drug heads. :no:
Sprig-Speck Hunter
hunter

Postby mallardman916 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:18 am

Been hunting the place for quite a few years now. It was one of my favorite spots, but now I'm lucky to even be able to get on in the morning. Way too crowded, and it seems like the only bird out there now a days are spoonies. Especially in the rice, very dissapointing.
mallardman916
Newb

Postby dj youth duckhunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:21 am

Howd you do ?? Im hunting there wednesday with a under 5 ressie?
Dustin~

dj youth duckhunter
hunter

Postby Sprig-Speck Hunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:21 am

Mallardman916, you got it spot on. That refuge is full of spoonies and non-english speaking immigrants that mistake your decoys for live ducks, had too many close calls there. Even Mary at the check station said that an average of 2 swans are taken per day by non english speaking hunters. :no:
Sprig-Speck Hunter
hunter

Postby Erock » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:39 pm

Even Mary at the check station said that an average of 2 swans are taken per day by non english speaking hunters.

:lol: Mary got a shout out.
Erock
Newb

Postby fully_loaded » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:22 pm

I hunted it last wednesday for the first time, shot 6 birds, 2 sprig, 2 gwt, a widgeon, and a scaup out of a blind in the middle of the ponds with draw 10. I have to say that I see why there is a 25 shell limit...i just wished bicycles were outlawed. The non-english speaking shooters in the blind north of us MADE 6 TRIPS before noon to get more shells on their bikes. I was so disgusted with their skybusting. Everyone in the ponds south of them, including myself, were being respectful and not skybusting and so when birds approached thier pond from the south they had a nice shot. But everytime the birds came over appoaching our spreads in the southern ponds they would get blasted at by them and the birds would flair up another 50 yards and start looking at far off places for a place to set down instead of their intended target, us. So basically i never got a shot at birds coming from the north all day. At least I knew which way to stand to actually see birds in range, south. They left about 2pm but so did all the birds. I stayed till LST and didnt see another thing in range...even after LST there wasnt a thing. It was my first time there and even though i ended up with a decent bag i don't know if it will make it to my favorites list of places to shoot if this is the norm.
Wine Country DU Committee Member
fully_loaded
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:18 pm

Last year we were able to get into Yolo almost at will, this year I hunted it once in Nov. and never fired a shot. The lottery lines are just insane. With a lack of draws and tons of people trying to get in we have been forced to hunt another refuge where you can sweat line in on most any day.

oh well its almost Thunder chicken time...............
darkwater27
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting