The first bird you mounted?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

The first bird you mounted?

Postby tylers1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:13 pm

What was the first bird you all had mounted, if any? Was it your very first bird, first band, or just a really cool bird?

I shot my first banded duck last week, and it's in the freezer for now. I guess I have about six months to decided if I want to have it made into a mount. It was banded in August 2013 in Stillwater Nevada, so it's a pretty young bird. But still a pretty duck.
Attachments
IMG_2687.jpg
User avatar
tylers1
hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: CA


Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby sprigpig1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:29 pm

A drake gadwall...

Tylers1- why do you say you only have six months to decide?
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
User avatar
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1458
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Reno,NV

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby dj youth duckhunter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:43 pm

Blue Goose :thumbsup:
Dustin~

Image
User avatar
dj youth duckhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:35 pm
Location: Placerville

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby waterfowlist » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:03 pm

Tundra swan from the Dakotas
waterfowlist
hunter
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby tylers1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:33 pm

sprigpig1 wrote:A drake gadwall...

Tylers1- why do you say you only have six months to decide?


sprigpig1I have read that birds only last about 6 months in the freezer before becoming damaged. Is that not true?
User avatar
tylers1
hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: CA

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby sprigpig1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:18 pm

tylers1 wrote:
sprigpig1 wrote:A drake gadwall...

Tylers1- why do you say you only have six months to decide?


sprigpig1I have read that birds only last about 6 months in the freezer before becoming damaged. Is that not true?


Not true at all. If stored correctly years. Yeah your taxi might fight some dehydration issues and some shrinkage but it can be dealt with. I mounted a cackler goose for my brother that had been in the freezer for 3+ years. The more air you can get out of whatever you are storing it in the better. For smaller birds I use big freezer bags and for larger ducks and geese I use 2-3 garbage bags and compress as much air I can get out of them. But now I actually skin out all the birds I'm going to mount when I get home to save storage space. But for someone who doesn't do taxidermy all of the for mentioned methods work.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
User avatar
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1458
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Reno,NV

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby Dukslayer26 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Speck, back in 1997
I hunt cause I love going deep into the bush and I always shoot twice!
User avatar
Dukslayer26
hunter
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: All over, California

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby tylers1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:51 pm

sprigpig1 wrote:
tylers1 wrote:
sprigpig1 wrote:A drake gadwall...

Tylers1- why do you say you only have six months to decide?


sprigpig1I have read that birds only last about 6 months in the freezer before becoming damaged. Is that not true?


Not true at all. If stored correctly years. Yeah your taxi might fight some dehydration issues and some shrinkage but it can be dealt with. I mounted a cackler goose for my brother that had been in the freezer for 3+ years. The more air you can get out of whatever you are storing it in the better. For smaller birds I use big freezer bags and for larger ducks and geese I use 2-3 garbage bags and compress as much air I can get out of them. But now I actually skin out all the birds I'm going to mount when I get home to save storage space. But for someone who doesn't do taxidermy all of the for mentioned methods work.


Great to know, thanks!
User avatar
tylers1
hunter
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:38 pm
Location: CA

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby DUCKINout » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:10 pm

If you have a food saver they work the best. Thats how I store all my ducks for mounting.
User avatar
DUCKINout
hunter
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:01 pm
Location: Great Falls, MT

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby sprigs4days » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:01 pm

Drake Mallard
"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
User avatar
sprigs4days
hunter
 
Posts: 2985
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:04 am
Location: California

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby DUKHNER » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:14 pm

Drake Redhead
Image
User avatar
DUKHNER
hunter
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:04 pm
Location: San Carlos

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby quack-attack » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:37 pm

i have never understood why someone would get a bird mounted simply because it was banded...seems everytime i shoot a banded bird someone inevetibly asks "are you getting it mounted?" Uh no. Its an ugly duck...why would i get it mounted because it has a band. Someone explain that band = mount logic.
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
User avatar
quack-attack
hunter
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: chico

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby quack-attack » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:48 pm

oh and the first bird i ever got mounted was a drake greenwing because it was the first duck i ever shot and it was really pretty...i was 9
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
User avatar
quack-attack
hunter
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: chico

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby spoonysmaker » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:54 pm

First bird iv ever mounted was a little tiny immature speck. It was my pups first retrieve.
User avatar
spoonysmaker
hunter
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:19 pm
Location: livermore, ca

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby vanover » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:55 pm

Drake canvasback.
User avatar
vanover
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby FowlChase » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:47 pm

Drake cinnamon teal was my first mount. Congrats on your banded greenhead bro. Mount that bad boy! Also, that mounted redhead looks bad ass.
FowlChase
hunter
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:39 pm

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby valleyhunter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:22 pm

My first was my first ever duck. A drake woodie jump shot off a pond way back in 1977 when I was 9 years old.
valleyhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:26 pm
Location: Grass Valley, CA.

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby #1wingnut » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:26 am

quack-attack wrote:i have never understood why someone would get a bird mounted simply because it was banded...seems everytime i shoot a banded bird someone inevetibly asks "are you getting it mounted?" Uh no. Its an ugly duck...why would i get it mounted because it has a band. Someone explain that band = mount logic.


People have birds mounted for many reasons... and their all good reasons... to the guy paying the bill.
a pretty bird, an ugly bird, your 1st bird, a rare bird or a banded bird. if your paying the taxi bill, its your bird and you should do with it what you want.

Mine was a pair of mallards. and she is banded.
User avatar
#1wingnut
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:36 am

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby ericwjennings » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:46 am

Mine was a drake cinnamon teal. First one I ever shot, and was a big healthy bird with nice plumage.
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
User avatar
ericwjennings
hunter
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:53 pm
Location: Gridley, CA

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby quack-attack » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:02 pm

#1wingnut wrote:
quack-attack wrote:i have never understood why someone would get a bird mounted simply because it was banded...seems everytime i shoot a banded bird someone inevetibly asks "are you getting it mounted?" Uh no. Its an ugly duck...why would i get it mounted because it has a band. Someone explain that band = mount logic.


People have birds mounted for many reasons... and their all good reasons... to the guy paying the bill.
a pretty bird, an ugly bird, your 1st bird, a rare bird or a banded bird. if your paying the taxi bill, its your bird and you should do with it what you want.

Mine was a pair of mallards. and she is banded.

I get it to some extent I guess...like the guy above that got his first dogs retrieve mounted..I see the emotional connection with that....I guess I just never had that much emotional connection to a banded bird...i shoot enough of them that it doesnt have value to me. Then again I shoot them with a bb gun in my local park so it isnt very exciting :) (joking)

This does remind me thiugh, I have a pair of blue wings and a blue grouse that have been sitting in my freezer for a couple years...I guess it is time to decide if I am going to pull the trigger and get those mounted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
User avatar
quack-attack
hunter
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: chico

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:21 pm

quack-attack wrote:
#1wingnut wrote:
quack-attack wrote:i have never understood why someone would get a bird mounted simply because it was banded...seems everytime i shoot a banded bird someone inevetibly asks "are you getting it mounted?" Uh no. Its an ugly duck...why would i get it mounted because it has a band. Someone explain that band = mount logic.


People have birds mounted for many reasons... and their all good reasons... to the guy paying the bill.
a pretty bird, an ugly bird, your 1st bird, a rare bird or a banded bird. if your paying the taxi bill, its your bird and you should do with it what you want.

Mine was a pair of mallards. and she is banded.

I get it to some extent I guess...like the guy above that got his first dogs retrieve mounted..I see the emotional connection with that....I guess I just never had that much emotional connection to a banded bird...i shoot enough of them that it doesnt have value to me. Then again I shoot them with a bb gun in my local park so it isnt very exciting :) (joking)

This does remind me thiugh, I have a pair of blue wings and a blue grouse that have been sitting in my freezer for a couple years...I guess it is time to decide if I am going to pull the trigger and get those mounted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk


Don't be crazy quack get those blue wings mounted!
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
User avatar
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1458
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Reno,NV

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby berdnird » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:29 pm

I wonder what percentage of duck hunters have had birds mounted. I've never had one mounted.
berdnird
hunter
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby PetriDuck » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:38 pm

Well when I was 12, my first bird I killed and retrieved was a hen spoony. My dad let me mount it (even though he probably puked in his mouth when I asked) because I was so proud of it.
The story gets better!
My little brother is 10 years younger than I and his first bird was a Drake Spoony he killed in which he wanted mounted as well. He has our spoons on his wall in his room as we speak.
PetriDuck
hunter
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

berdnird wrote:I wonder what percentage of duck hunters have had birds mounted. I've never had one mounted.


I would say about 45-50% want a room full of mounts to remind them of the previous seasons, memory's and the upcoming season.
And another 25% who just want the freaks, rare birds and bands mounted. The other 25-30 % have spouses who won't allow it, can't afford it or just simply don't care. That would be my guess.

Me I fall in the 45-50.. This is one of my personal mounts and my favorite. It's a work in progress. I will be adding a speck to it to boot. Ross was banded and honker was shot the same day. One of the first mounts I personally did. It's a hobby that is growing out of control.
image.jpg
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
User avatar
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1458
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Reno,NV

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby aclumpkin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:21 pm

Drake Bufflehead for me
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
User avatar
aclumpkin
hunter
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:35 pm
Location: North Carolina

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: delta85c, that duck dude and 14 guests