The first bird you mounted?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

The first bird you mounted?

Postby tylers1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:13 pm

What was the first bird you all had mounted, if any? Was it your very first bird, first band, or just a really cool bird?

I shot my first banded duck last week, and it's in the freezer for now. I guess I have about six months to decided if I want to have it made into a mount. It was banded in August 2013 in Stillwater Nevada, so it's a pretty young bird. But still a pretty duck.
Attachments
IMG_2687.jpg
tylers1
hunter

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby sprigpig1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:29 pm

A drake gadwall...

Tylers1- why do you say you only have six months to decide?
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby dj youth duckhunter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:43 pm

Blue Goose :thumbsup:
Dustin~

dj youth duckhunter
hunter

Postby waterfowlist » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:03 pm

Tundra swan from the Dakotas
waterfowlist
hunter

Postby tylers1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:33 pm

sprigpig1 wrote:A drake gadwall...

sprigpig1I have read that birds only last about 6 months in the freezer before becoming damaged. Is that not true?
tylers1
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:18 pm

tylers1 wrote:

sprigpig1I have read that birds only last about 6 months in the freezer before becoming damaged. Is that not true?

Not true at all. If stored correctly years. Yeah your taxi might fight some dehydration issues and some shrinkage but it can be dealt with. I mounted a cackler goose for my brother that had been in the freezer for 3+ years. The more air you can get out of whatever you are storing it in the better. For smaller birds I use big freezer bags and for larger ducks and geese I use 2-3 garbage bags and compress as much air I can get out of them. But now I actually skin out all the birds I'm going to mount when I get home to save storage space. But for someone who doesn't do taxidermy all of the for mentioned methods work.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Dukslayer26 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Speck, back in 1997
I hunt cause I love going deep into the bush and I always shoot twice!
Dukslayer26
hunter

Postby tylers1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:51 pm

sprigpig1 wrote:
tylers1 wrote:

Not true at all. If stored correctly years. Yeah your taxi might fight some dehydration issues and some shrinkage but it can be dealt with. I mounted a cackler goose for my brother that had been in the freezer for 3+ years. The more air you can get out of whatever you are storing it in the better. For smaller birds I use big freezer bags and for larger ducks and geese I use 2-3 garbage bags and compress as much air I can get out of them. But now I actually skin out all the birds I'm going to mount when I get home to save storage space. But for someone who doesn't do taxidermy all of the for mentioned methods work.

Great to know, thanks!
tylers1
hunter

Postby DUCKINout » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:10 pm

If you have a food saver they work the best. Thats how I store all my ducks for mounting.
DUCKINout
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:01 pm

Drake Mallard
"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby DUKHNER » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:14 pm

Drake Redhead
DUKHNER
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:37 pm

i have never understood why someone would get a bird mounted simply because it was banded...seems everytime i shoot a banded bird someone inevetibly asks "are you getting it mounted?" Uh no. Its an ugly duck...why would i get it mounted because it has a band. Someone explain that band = mount logic.
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:48 pm

oh and the first bird i ever got mounted was a drake greenwing because it was the first duck i ever shot and it was really pretty...i was 9
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:54 pm

First bird iv ever mounted was a little tiny immature speck. It was my pups first retrieve.
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby vanover » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:55 pm

Drake canvasback.
vanover
hunter

Postby FowlChase » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:47 pm

Drake cinnamon teal was my first mount. Congrats on your banded greenhead bro. Mount that bad boy! Also, that mounted redhead looks bad ass.
FowlChase
hunter

Postby valleyhunter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:22 pm

My first was my first ever duck. A drake woodie jump shot off a pond way back in 1977 when I was 9 years old.
valleyhunter
hunter

Postby #1wingnut » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:26 am

quack-attack wrote:i have never understood why someone would get a bird mounted simply because it was banded...seems everytime i shoot a banded bird someone inevetibly asks "are you getting it mounted?" Uh no. Its an ugly duck...why would i get it mounted because it has a band. Someone explain that band = mount logic.

People have birds mounted for many reasons... and their all good reasons... to the guy paying the bill.
a pretty bird, an ugly bird, your 1st bird, a rare bird or a banded bird. if your paying the taxi bill, its your bird and you should do with it what you want.

Mine was a pair of mallards. and she is banded.
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby ericwjennings » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:46 am

Mine was a drake cinnamon teal. First one I ever shot, and was a big healthy bird with nice plumage.
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:02 pm

#1wingnut wrote:
quack-attack wrote:i have never understood why someone would get a bird mounted simply because it was banded...seems everytime i shoot a banded bird someone inevetibly asks "are you getting it mounted?" Uh no. Its an ugly duck...why would i get it mounted because it has a band. Someone explain that band = mount logic.

People have birds mounted for many reasons... and their all good reasons... to the guy paying the bill.
a pretty bird, an ugly bird, your 1st bird, a rare bird or a banded bird. if your paying the taxi bill, its your bird and you should do with it what you want.

I get it to some extent I guess...like the guy above that got his first dogs retrieve mounted..I see the emotional connection with that....I guess I just never had that much emotional connection to a banded bird...i shoot enough of them that it doesnt have value to me. Then again I shoot them with a bb gun in my local park so it isnt very exciting :) (joking)

This does remind me thiugh, I have a pair of blue wings and a blue grouse that have been sitting in my freezer for a couple years...I guess it is time to decide if I am going to pull the trigger and get those mounted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
quack-attack
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:21 pm

quack-attack wrote:
#1wingnut wrote:

I get it to some extent I guess...like the guy above that got his first dogs retrieve mounted..I see the emotional connection with that....I guess I just never had that much emotional connection to a banded bird...i shoot enough of them that it doesnt have value to me. Then again I shoot them with a bb gun in my local park so it isnt very exciting :) (joking)

This does remind me thiugh, I have a pair of blue wings and a blue grouse that have been sitting in my freezer for a couple years...I guess it is time to decide if I am going to pull the trigger and get those mounted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Don't be crazy quack get those blue wings mounted!

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby berdnird » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:29 pm

I wonder what percentage of duck hunters have had birds mounted. I've never had one mounted.
berdnird
hunter

Postby PetriDuck » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:38 pm

Well when I was 12, my first bird I killed and retrieved was a hen spoony. My dad let me mount it (even though he probably puked in his mouth when I asked) because I was so proud of it.
The story gets better!
My little brother is 10 years younger than I and his first bird was a Drake Spoony he killed in which he wanted mounted as well. He has our spoons on his wall in his room as we speak.
PetriDuck
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

berdnird wrote:I wonder what percentage of duck hunters have had birds mounted. I've never had one mounted.

I would say about 45-50% want a room full of mounts to remind them of the previous seasons, memory's and the upcoming season.
And another 25% who just want the freaks, rare birds and bands mounted. The other 25-30 % have spouses who won't allow it, can't afford it or just simply don't care. That would be my guess.

Me I fall in the 45-50.. This is one of my personal mounts and my favorite. It's a work in progress. I will be adding a speck to it to boot. Ross was banded and honker was shot the same day. One of the first mounts I personally did. It's a hobby that is growing out of control.
image.jpg

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby aclumpkin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:21 pm

Drake Bufflehead for me
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Next