The first bird you mounted?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Re: The first bird you mounted?

Postby quack-attack » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:55 pm

Sprigpig...love that mount...always said I wanted a duckstrap mount with a bunch of different species. My dad was a game warden and he knew legendary old time warden gene mercer. When gene died we got some of his calls and old duck straps. My dream is to use one of those old leather straps on a wall hanger mount like that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:07 pm

All this talk aboit mounts makes me want to remind everyone to do your research, pay a little extra if you have to. I was looking at my sons first mount again the other day and it is so bad it is funny. He even laughs at it. It was real cheap and really bad. Older guy in chico who i cannot imagine is still working. Really wish I had speant the extra $100 and gotten a mount worth displaying.

“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:14 pm

quack-attack wrote:Sprigpig...love that mount...always said I wanted a duckstrap mount with a bunch of different species. My dad was a game warden and he knew legendary old time warden gene mercer. When gene died we got some of his calls and old duck straps. My dream is to use one of those old leather straps on a wall hanger mount like that

Thanks quack.. I can imagine in a few years having about 10 more birds added to it. Lol

Ol' sabertooth? Hell yeah. That is awesome your old man new him and even better you have some of his old gear. That will be a special piece. I heard a lot of stories and read a article or two about him. A real bulldog when it came to protecting waterfowl and bringing down market hunters. Very nice.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:15 pm

quack-attack wrote:All this talk aboit mounts makes me want to remind everyone to do your research, pay a little extra if you have to. I was looking at my sons first mount again the other day and it is so bad it is funny. He even laughs at it. It was real cheap and really bad. Older guy in chico who i cannot imagine is still working. Really wish I had speant the extra $100 and gotten a mount worth displaying.

X2
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:51 pm

sprigpig1 wrote:
berdnird wrote:I wonder what percentage of duck hunters have had birds mounted. I've never had one mounted.

I would say about 45-50% want a room full of mounts to remind them of the previous seasons, memory's and the upcoming season.
And another 25% who just want the freaks, rare birds and bands mounted. The other 25-30 % have spouses who won't allow it, can't afford it or just simply don't care. That would be my guess.

Me I fall in the 45-50.. This is one of my personal mounts and my favorite. It's a work in progress. I will be adding a speck to it to boot. Ross was banded and honker was shot the same day. One of the first mounts I personally did. It's a hobby that is growing out of control.
image.jpg

Sounds like I need to shoot my first mountable bird for you to do to make sure your hobby is out of control.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby cinnamon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:29 pm

This bird was special because it was taken with my dad on our first hunt at a new refuge. Also the first banded bird we had taken. It came in locked up and we both fired at the same moment. Maybe we both hit it maybe not. The memory of it is relived each time I look at it.
Attachments
September 2010 187 - Copy.jpg
September 2010 187 - Copy.jpg (25.25 KiB) Viewed 378 times
cinnamon
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:57 pm

cinnamon wrote:This bird was special because it was taken with my dad on our first hunt at a new refuge. Also the first banded bird we had taken. It came in locked up and we both fired at the same moment. Maybe we both hit it maybe not. The memory of it is relived each time I look at it.

Very nice bird and story :thumbsup:

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Gatordone » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:37 pm

i'm dropping off my first pintail this weekend. nothing special but as a new duck hunter when i checked out of sac with it 3 weeks ago and all the dfg guys said it was a really nice bird so i got stoked. my girlfriend saw it and said it was too pretty to eat so she's having it mounted for my birthday next month.
@spoonysmaker - best mount idea ever. i'll follow suit one day.
hunter

Postby LeakyW8ers » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:50 am

My first mount was my first drake Mallard. I had killed a number of birds before him, but he was my first greenhead. I actually called him in, worked him, and called my own shot all on my own. A good friend was there, but a fair distance away when it all went down and he watched the whole thing. He knew how I called and was afraid I was going to blow the bird out, but for some reason I had "learned" and didn't blow it out. Worked it for quite a while and seemed to make all the right calls at all the right times and got him. He had to go on the wall.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:58 am

sprigpig1 wrote:Don't be crazy quack get those blue wings mounted!

actually the grouse is a higher priority because my son shot it up near my cabin and i think it would look kick ass in the cabin. Kind of hanging on the the blue wing, at least the drake to be part of the duck strap mount. have a blue, a gwt, a cinamon now, the wood duck, sprig, widgeon and mallard will be easy...but that mount will look kick ass when it is done....also thought of a six bird mount with pairs of the BWT, a GWT pair and the Cins...just waiting for that pot of money to land in my lap
Last edited by quack-attack on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quack-attack
hunter

Postby WackNstack530 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:43 pm

quack-attack wrote:All this talk aboit mounts makes me want to remind everyone to do your research, pay a little extra if you have to. I was looking at my sons first mount again the other day and it is so bad it is funny. He even laughs at it. It was real cheap and really bad. Older guy in chico who i cannot imagine is still working. Really wish I had speant the extra $100 and gotten a mount worth displaying.

Was it ol Lenny Anderson? I got a few done by him. Payed $150 each. My bull sprig he did a fantastic job, same for my drake cinnamon teal. But my cupped up drake mallard, the bill quite bright. Like highlighter yellow bright haha. I have been saying i am going to repaint it, but have never got around to it. But other than the bill, the mount is good.
Sprigpig will be doing my next one. It is a greenwing that will go next to my cinnamon, as part of my teal grand slam. Just gotta connect on a blue wing now. Will have it sent to him hopefully next week, if not the week after.
WackNstack530
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:03 pm

WackNstack530 wrote:

Was it ol Lenny Anderson? I got a few done by him. Payed $150 each. My bull sprig he did a fantastic job, same for my drake cinnamon teal. But my cupped up drake mallard, the bill quite bright. Like highlighter yellow bright haha. I have been saying i am going to repaint it, but have never got around to it. But other than the bill, the mount is good.
Sprigpig will be doing my next one. It is a greenwing that will go next to my cinnamon, as part of my teal grand slam. Just gotta connect on a blue wing now. Will have it sent to him hopefully next week, if not the week after.

yah,,,it was brutal...it was a wood duck and we dont even think we got the right duck back...there were three wood ducks sitting there when we picked ours up and i am pretty sure he gave us the wrong one. But it is really bad, it looks like it got ran over and squashed. I should post a picture for everyone to enjoy...my son was asking if he could get another duck mounted since this one was so bad...he is chasing a big full plumage sprig or a eurasion (but who isnt)...huge flocks of widgeon around our blind lately and when the sun is shining you can actually pic a eurasion or two out of the flock pretty easily now and then so maybe he has a chance.
i like the guy..heard he used to do really good work but everything i have heard lately is that people are having the same experience i had.
quack-attack
hunter

Postby WackNstack530 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:11 pm

quack-attack wrote:
WackNstack530 wrote:

yah,,,it was brutal...it was a wood duck and we dont even think we got the right duck back...there were three wood ducks sitting there when we picked ours up and i am pretty sure he gave us the wrong one. But it is really bad, it looks like it got ran over and squashed. I should post a picture for everyone to enjoy...my son was asking if he could get another duck mounted since this one was so bad...he is chasing a big full plumage sprig or a eurasion (but who isnt)...huge flocks of widgeon around our blind lately and when the sun is shining you can actually pic a eurasion or two out of the flock pretty easily now and then so maybe he has a chance.
i like the guy..heard he used to do really good work but everything i have heard lately is that people are having the same experience i had.

Ya, I think hes just gettin too old and just can't put up with the work load anymore. He is going doing a quick job rather than quality job.
Check out that bill haha! o ya forgot about the feet too haha o well I've learned to live and learn.
WackNstack530
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:12 pm

i will take a pic of the woodie when i get home...it litterally looks like it came out of someones attic after 20 years..and the bill looks like it was done with a sharpie
quack-attack
hunter

Postby WackNstack530 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:22 pm

quack-attack wrote:i will take a pic of the woodie when i get home...it litterally looks like it came out of someones attic after 20 years..and the bill looks like it was done with a sharpie

Ya mine you can see brush strokes, and even faint black underneath the paint
WackNstack530
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:38 pm

quack-attack wrote:
sprigpig1 wrote:Don't be crazy quack get those blue wings mounted!

actually the grouse is a higher priority because my son shot it up near my cabin and i think it would look kick ass in the cabin. Kind of hanging on the the blue wing, at least the drake to be part of the duck strap mount. have a blue, a gwt, a cinamon now, the wood duck, sprig, widgeon and mallard will be easy...but that mount will look kick ass when it is done....also thought of a six bird mount with pairs of the BWT, a GWT pair and the Cins...just waiting for that pot of money to land in my lap

Understandable... Can't wait for my boy to be able to kill his first bird and so on. That blue wing will look awesome on a dead strap. Especially incorporating genes gear into it. Very invious. Can't wait to shoot one, if I ever do.

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby quack-attack » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:11 pm

sprigpic...maybe i will have you do it...you would appreciate it more than most.
quack-attack
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:30 pm

quack-attack wrote:sprigpic...maybe i will have you do it...you would appreciate it more than most.

Pm sent

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby tylers1 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:23 am

Hey guys,

Just got my duck back a couple weeks ago and thought I would show you how it turned out. Again this was my first duck ever mounted and I am very happy with how it turned out. I used Mathews taxidermy in Hanford and I would recommend them. [img]
Attachments
IMG_4819.jpg
tylers1
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:01 am

Dive bomber! I like it.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Previous

Return to California Duck Hunting