Mallards

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Mallards

Postby Privileged hunter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:03 am

My friends and family have all agreed to stop shooting mallards for the remainder of the season. Due to the lack of water mallards are going to have a rough 2014. If you think the mallard population has been bad wait till next year. So if your a true waterfowler and have a love for the birds you'll do the same and spread the word.
Privileged hunter
hunter

Re: Mallards

Postby Silverwidgeon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:15 am

Shouldn't you be a strictly spoony purist then to conserve habitat for other waterfowl (mallards included)???
idk I figure all waterfowl are gonna have it tough. Don't know why you are trippin on the green lol. They've got pretty solid long term numbers last i checked. What about Pintail, Canvasback and the like?
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:36 am

What possesses people to cook this stuff up? If you want to help the birds, force your city government to stop issuing building permits that create more suburbs - or build even further out.

Habitat is where it's at. Folks give themselves way to much credit for affecting the bird numbers.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:22 am

It's all about the long term average... Not what you predict the weather could be. We could have one hell of a wet spring and summer. The last report I read had the mallard at 10.4 million birds in 2013 down from 10.6 million in 2012 but at 26% above the long term average.

The northern pintail and lesser/ greater scaup are sadly 17% below long term average. So... If we go by data and you want to make a statement don't shoot any more pintail or scaup. Old Mr. Greenhead is doing just fine. So shoot em up if you can. With in your legal parameters of course.

The thing about the water situation is... Just because it is dry in your back forty does not mean it is dry in the duck factory of the midwest or the boreal forests of Canada. USFS recorded substantial habitat improvements in 2013 from 2012.

If you want to see something sad... Drive around with me during hay cutting season. Nest after nest destroyed during the first cuts.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby quack-attack » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:35 am

This will quickly become the most stupid thread of 2014.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:07 am

Quack

There there will be plenty more useless threads to follow just review the past several years of posts..Not sure why people have to tell stories about the guy on the refuge who hunted next to him or how they were shooting high or moved within 100 yards of them but time after time thread after thread of the same old non sense..

Watch this thread go straight South now....
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:23 am

yellowdog53 wrote:Not sure why people have to tell stories about the guy on the refuge who hunted next to him or how they were shooting high or moved within 100 yards of them.

Cause it's the internet... I think page 67 of the Internet etiquette guidebook says "thou shalt post no less than 50% rabble rabble"
Page 90 says "arguing on the Internet is like competing in the special Olympics... Even if you win, you're still retarded"

And just to call a spade a spade... Wouldn't complaining on this forum about the posts be the equivalent of complaining on this forum about the guy next to you?

:fingerhead:
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:26 am

good ole internet biologist, internet game wardens, internet dog handlers (guilty as charged), internet youth counselors, internet duck calling professionals, internet lawyers...this place is one stop shopping....can anyone help me with this rash?....that is where i need some good advice.
Attachments
caboom.jpg
caboom.jpg (22.44 KiB) Viewed 6442 times
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:56 am

I got a lot of real world experience with rashes...
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:14 am

I have a belly button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
join the Coot Crusaders!!!
Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby nut4duck » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:20 am

Privileged hunter wrote:My friends and family have all agreed to stop shooting mallards for the remainder of the season. Due to the lack of water mallards are going to have a rough 2014. If you think the mallard population has been bad wait till next year. So if your a true waterfowler and have a love for the birds you'll do the same and spread the word.

Your kidding right?? True waterfowler... :rolleyes: What the hell is a true waterfowler..

I'm rollin every one that goes feet down... I'll leave it up to you do gooders to save the heard.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And if you want to save something why don't you start with canvasbacks, scaups and pintails so we can get the numbers up and add more to the bag.. :thumbsup:
nut4duck
hunter

Postby nut4duck » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:33 am

Tyrtruion wrote:
yellowdog53 wrote:Page 90 says "arguing on the Internet is like competing in the special Olympics... Even if you win, you're still retarded"

I wish I could do what half of what those people do in the special Olympics that you call retarded.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :fingerpt:
nut4duck
hunter

Postby hntndux » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:51 am

Whats a Mallard???
hntndux
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:02 am

For the record I did not write this try so not sure where you got this from....
yellowdog53 wrote:
Page 90 says "arguing on the Internet is like competing in the special Olympics... Even if you win, you're still retarded"

Its all the net and the net is what it is and full of IT too....

Does anyone really ever win an internet argument??? CMON MAN... I have tried a million times and lost everyone HAHA See I can even joke about it too..

It is fun though to watch people spin out of control and call each other names and all that...The internet bully......

Then it progresses into the pack mentality because someone is somebodys buddy and then away it spins off into the threating and the good stuff...The net is joke and although some good freindships have been created as well as memories overall it is still a joke with wanna bees and the like everywhere...

Told ya here we go!!!!
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:09 am

sprigpig1 wrote:It's all about the long term average... Not what you predict the weather could be. We could have one hell of a wet spring and summer. The last report I read had the mallard at 10.4 million birds in 2013 down from 10.6 million in 2012 but at 26% above the long term average.

The northern pintail and lesser/ greater scaup are sadly 17% below long term average. So... If we go by data and you want to make a statement don't shoot any more pintail or scaup. Old Mr. Greenhead is doing just fine. So shoot em up if you can. With in your legal parameters of course.

The thing about the water situation is... Just because it is dry in your back forty does not mean it is dry in the duck factory of the midwest or the boreal forests of Canada. USFS recorded substantial habitat improvements in 2013 from 2012.

If you want to see something sad... Drive around with me during hay cutting season. Nest after nest destroyed during the first cuts.

Another thread full of gay won't you say.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Dukslayer26 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:18 am

quack-attack wrote:This will quickly become the most stupid thread of 2014.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Already is the worst thread of 2014. Long term average is fine on mallards. You must be hunting a spot that doesn't get a lot of mallards. They are around
I hunt cause I love going deep into the bush and I always shoot twice!
Dukslayer26
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:24 am

Silverwidgeon wrote:Shouldn't you be a strictly spoony purist then to conserve habitat for other waterfowl (mallards included)?....

I'm doing my part, been stacking up Spoonies like cord wood :thumbsup: . Trying to free up habitat and available food. :biggrin:
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:24 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389025321.167191.jpg

Mallards bore me.

Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:48 am

I think we should talk about this rash so more. We have a better chance of at least solving that problem and it might even be a better story of how this rash started
quigby979
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:51 am

Any rash in Chico normally originated in Oroville.

Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:58 am

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:[Another thread full of gay won't you say.

double rainbow
quack-attack
hunter

Postby duckscout » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:15 am

Don't shoot mallards save them for me :thumbsup:
duckscout
hunter

Postby gozags09 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:19 am

I kill 7 greenheads every day of the season. by the end ill have killed 700 mallards. I do my part.

...I'm also a liar.
gozags09
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:21 am

gozags09 wrote:I kill 7 greenheads every day of the season. by the end ill have killed 700 mallards. I do my part.

...I'm also a liar.

:lol:

Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby Mallards Only » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:27 am

You really need to talk to guys like DUCKSPY and Nighthunter. They're the problem and the reason for the declining numbers.
Mallards Only
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting