Mallards

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Re: Mallards

Postby hntndux » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:28 pm

yellowdog53 wrote:I'm not bitching or moaning and GO NORTH young man GO NORTH.... If you can't beat em join em I say....The birds shot up North are not mostly hens not sure where you get that idea from or that notion....

Simply stating facts that water is the key and the lack of water and weather has hurt the hunting....It is not rocket science :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

I know Im late to this one, but where/when is this lack of water your talking about
hntndux
hunter

Postby ohlonebaseball » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:56 pm

Good thing I didn't have a picture with my pouches! Lmao. :yes:
ohlonebaseball
hunter

Postby Privileged hunter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:19 pm

Good luck local mallards. Teach a junior about conservation, just maybe,maybe you can pass on a mallard or two and tell him or her the situation the mallards will face this year. There are plenty of other species to harvest. Instead of the kill kill kill attitude this sport is going to.
Privileged hunter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:37 pm

Privileged hunter wrote:Good luck local mallards. Teach a junior about conservation, just maybe,maybe you can pass on a mallard or two and tell him or her the situation the mallards will face this year. There are plenty of other species to harvest. Instead of the kill kill kill attitude this sport is going to.

Need some TP for your corn trollio? :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:07 am

Local Duck populations go up and down with the amount of precipitation we have during the wet season. Simple as that, we own a club in the grasslands it a sprig and teal setup. At times we will see a lot of gadwalls, and widgeon, other years we see redheads and canvasbacks regularly, we shoot few mallards, we just don't see them.which is fine, the only thing mallards are good for is the regs are mostly set off of the # of mating pairs of mallards.

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:14 am

For one thing Mallards are good for is , you can put 7 of them on the grill after a day's hunt , with some good eating too !
This would feed a crew , as others in the bag would be , just a taste ??? :lol3: :lol3:

They' are all good , just Mallards seem to be better than most , IMHO !
3200 man
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:51 am

Given the choice I would eat teal. They taste much better and the thinner skin when roasted is about the best you can get.

That said, shoot as many mallards as you legally can to prove Privy Hunt wrong. :smile:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby LeakyW8ers » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:02 am

Down with Mallards! Kill them all, they are taking up precious Northern Shovelor nesting habitat!

Plus they are spreading rice breast into the precious divers like scaup and redheads!
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:07 am

We need to make some signs and march in a circle! :lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:10 pm

Keep eating those inferior ducks and you will , be walking in circles !.........................along with me ! :lol3: :lol3:

Kind of like now , with the season being over ? :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:15 pm

Six pages on NONSENSE..

BLAH BLAH BLAH.......................... :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead:
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:48 pm

3200 man wrote:Keep eating those inferior ducks and you will , be walking in circles !.........................along with me ! :lol3: :lol3:

You're an overachiever. I know you run in circles! :wink: :lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:02 pm

3200 man wrote:Keep eating those inferior ducks and you will , be walking in circles !.........................along with me ! :lol3: :lol3:

Ha, you should manage a club! This season is over. Preperation for next season will start well this weekend I guess building a spray rig to touch up cattails in inlet canal and around blinds and gravel paths where we don't want or can't get a disc. Then put up bird netting ing the cabin for the swallows, the 2 new sea and land containers. Duck season never ends for us Lol.

U call them inferior but teal make the best jalapeño poppers. Not only that the only thing hanging out at the water treatment plant here besides spoonys is mallards! That makes them s@$t ducks aswell! Lol

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:36 pm

With some wisdom of managing a Club , I know what your saying Beretta 6 but , the difference in my case , I live closer
than you . I'm not a weekend warrior so , in my experience , it was 6 days a week job through the off season to make it right .
Just ask Hopper ?

Slow You know the crowd ? Now , do you think 7 little teal would satisfy us large bodied fellas , circling the BBQ ? :lol3:
Yes I know we need to get into target shooting shape but , with the birds harvested this year , No Problem ! :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:52 pm

3200 man wrote:With some wisdom of managing a Club , I know what your saying Beretta 6 but , the difference in my case , I live closer
than you . I'm not a weekend warrior so , in my experience , it was 6 days a week job through the off season to make it right .
Just ask Hopper ?

Slow You know the crowd ? Now , do you think 7 little teal would satisfy us large bodied fellas , circling the BBQ ? :lol3:
Yes I know we need to get into target shooting shape but , with the birds harvested this year , No Problem ! :lol3:

Maybe I'm just spoiled with the guys I've put together. The ducks are usually just usually made into some type of finger food while the good stuff is being grilled.

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:49 am

Finger Food ? :huh: OH yea , with smaller birds on the grill you've got to cook a lot of them to feed the group but , in my
case ( most of the time ) , the guys I hunt with eat CAVEMAN Style with both hands wrapped around a grilled bird , growling
:lol3: and the only time you see their eyes , is when they're almost finished with that one and looking for more while they're
wiping their mouth off with their sleeve . :lol3: :lol3: :yes: :beer:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:58 pm

Yea the big ducks come home to get roasted like my grandmother taught me. She grew up on the Chesapeake bay in the tailend of the market hunting days. There's nothing like pintails, mallards, or Cans oven roasted served with wild rice and baked sweet potatoes. It reminds me of being a kid eating duck dinner at the ranch. Dam I miss those days. Doing my best to recreate it for my kids.

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:24 pm

In the barrel ? there's nothing better than barrel roasted Ducks..........and Beer ! :thumbsup:

Unless , you're standing my the trucks with a little BBQ going , with a limit of BACON WRAPPED Teal .on the grill !

Yes , Finger Food served on a chunk of french bread............and Beer ! :beer:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:13 pm

No it was a wood burning oven that they had built to reccreate the way they did it back on the bay. I couldn't do it if I tried.

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:27 pm

You barrel roasters gotta post up your plans for your Ugly Drum Smokers. I want to find the easiest one to build since I have a few smokers and grills already.

3200, bacon wrapped teal is a gift from the gods... All of them.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:53 pm

slowshooter wrote:You barrel roasters gotta post up your plans for your Ugly Drum Smokers. I want to find the easiest one to build since I have a few smokers and grills already.

i simply cut the bottom out of a barrel and drilled a series of holes at different elevations so i could slide two bieces of rebar and place a grill on them. (a weber grill fits perfectly in a 55 gallon drum). I then use a small webber bbq in the bottom if i am usin coal or i use an electric hot plate with a pie pan and wood chips if i am slow smoking . I can set it up to us the grills or i can put the rebar in and hang tri-tips or chickens. It is very easy.
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:08 pm

quack-attack wrote:
slowshooter wrote:You barrel roasters gotta post up your plans for your Ugly Drum Smokers. I want to find the easiest one to build since I have a few smokers and grills already.

i simply cut the bottom out of a barrel and drilled a series of holes at different elevations so i could slide two bieces of rebar and place a grill on them. (a weber grill fits perfectly in a 55 gallon drum). I then use a small webber bbq in the bottom if i am usin coal or i use an electric hot plate with a pie pan and wood chips if i am slow smoking . I can set it up to us the grills or i can put the rebar in and hang tri-tips or chickens. It is very easy.

Agreed bacon wraped teal is a gift from God, I do it like this hollow out a jalapeño pepper fill with cream cheese, wrap with teal breast, then bacon, stab a couple toothpicks through it throw on the BBQ. Cook till breast is done. Squeez a bit of lime and a dash of salt. Consume with favorite beer.

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:52 pm

Beretta06 wrote:
quack-attack wrote:

Agreed bacon wraped teal is a gift from God, I do it like this hollow out a jalapeño pepper fill with cream cheese, wrap with teal breast, then bacon, stab a couple toothpicks through it throw on the BBQ. Cook till breast is done. Squeez a bit of lime and a dash of salt. Consume with favorite beer.

Dwight

That is how I servered all my spoons from the season at my Super Bowl party. Guess what was the first thing gone. Soon as I told them it was duck they all got butt hurt but admitted they liked them
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:39 am

The steel barrel I use has a removable lid , 4 - 3/4" holes across from each other 10" off the bottom and 4 holes 20"
from the top of the barrel 6" apart from center-line . After building a small charcoal fire , I use Almond wood and let it
burn down to a white hot ash . I soak Mallards in a tub of orange juice and slices for an hour , wash with cold water and
pat dry , Lemon Pepper to taste and hang them from rebar in the upper holes for 40 minutes . I have 2 more rebar for
laying on top of the barrel's rim allowing me to replace 6 birds that I started with and start 6 more for 40 minutes . The
first 6 birds hang from the rebars laying on the rim until they are medium cooked , with a glaze crispy crust , which makes
them very tasty . Add BBQ sauce you like to some great eating Duck .

Try this one Slow ! I don't have one of those (pretty , heavy )Egg Smokers for cooking Ducks in the field , just a
UGLY one . :lol3: :lol3: :crying:
3200 man
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:06 pm

Yeah, I have a couple of vintage kamados that I'm restoring for fun. But most of the time I smoke in a Mini Weber conversion that I did for kicks. Honestly it's been the most efficient smoker I've ever used other than the pit my Dad and Uncle would dig to smoke whole hogs.

Did a search for some drum smokers and some of that stuff looks pretty darn cadillac...
slowshooter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to California Duck Hunting