Mallards

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Re: Mallards

Postby yellowdog53 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:31 am

Try

How bout this morning?? 20 Guage Style

[url][URL=http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/jrfeb12/media/IMAG0407_zps6408c699.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby Privileged hunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:52 am

Far from tree huger
Privileged hunter
hunter

Postby Limitsx10 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:44 am

Privileged hunter wrote:The mallards you kill are born and raised here in california . Not the duck factory,boreal forest,tundra. Forget about the long term ave.they have you fooled. If we don't get heavy rains the mallards will suffer like you've never seen.

I'm just curious what you are basing this on. I know that some of the birds I hunt are local, especially early season, but I've always assumed that the vast majority of the birds (including Mallards) wintering in California are migratory. This seems to be proven out by the typically poor hunting in November picking up after as the North freezes up and storms seem to push birds into California. Are the storms and freeze up just coincidental with local populations of birds moving around?
Limitsx10
hunter

Postby lcates » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:33 pm

imo mallards just don't make it down here like they used to we have been shooting local mallards for a few years know.Farming practices and lack of weather up north have made the mallards stay north this is just my own thoughts
lcates
hunter

Postby JonD » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:40 pm

Privileged hunter wrote:Well, I'm not suprised by the responses. The mallards you kill are born and raised here in california . Not the duck factory,boreal forest,tundra. Forget about the long term ave.they have you fooled. If we don't get heavy rains the mallards will suffer like you've never seen. As far as true waterfowler you know who you are.

Well I shot a banded Bull Sprig at Sacramento NWR opening weekend that was banded in Maxwell, Ca. which is only a few miles away from that refuge. According to your logic all pintail must be resident birds as well so you better stop shooting those to.
JonD
hunter

Postby Calikev » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:46 pm

Voluntary restraint is fine by me if you want to do that yourself but you should really let the biologists worry about the numbers. I have no issue with someone who chooses to shoot only drakes, stop at 4 or 5, etc. but in the big picture that stuff does very little. It comes down to habitat on the ground.

If we get the spring rains then we won't have to worry about it. If we don't, then the DFW will look at the numbers and cut back the bag limit and days we can hunt. Hopefully that is just on mallards but that usually isn't the case when they cut back like that. Everyone here should be concerned by the numbers this year. You aren't seeing mallards in the numbers you have in previous years because they aren't here in the numbers they usually are. Aerial counts show that mallards have been down since pre-season this year. Cause for concern? There should be in the face of a terrible drought in which we will have problems next year even finding water to flood the ponds. That is our bigger worry.

Why you touched a nerve with so many folks is beyond me? So what if someone has this opinion? At least you are thinking beyond the end of your gun barrel which is more than I can say for some folks. While I don't agree with your opinion I realize you care about the long term resource so that is a good thing. I just get the feeling you are trolling here and making light of the fact that many folks are still shooting mallards so you are making this point of it.

Good luck with that..........
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:25 pm

Go North young men go NOrth :)
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby ShootThemInTheEye » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:18 pm

I am going to have to somewhat agree with what the OP said. I believe that a very high percentage of mallard killed in California are raised here. I am sure the banding data would bear this out. personally I can't remember the last banded mallard we shot from out of state. I would say at least 20 California banded mallard without an out of state. Maybe we band more but I think I have only shot one red foot (supposedly northern birds) all year.

As far as trusting the biologists to set a the right number? you have got to be kidding? Anyone that hunts California south of Tule lake/ Klamath should know that there is no way in hell we should be shooting 7 mallard. The good thing is very few hunters are. The limit/long season is a political thing not a biologist driven one. The number of hunters that drop out when the limits were lowered and season is shortened scare the hell out of the commission so they set things as high as legally allowed local bird counts be dammed. In the end it all comes back to the almighty dollar.

I don't need a biologist to tell me that our mallard numbers are WAY down and I am not talking about this season it has been a decade long trend. Very likely that northern birds are not coming down as others have suggested putting more stress on locals. Whatever the reason never trust someone that doesn't hunt and just looks at Pacific flyway numbers to do what's right for the California bird population. Unlike Obama the commissions stance is. " if you like your duck limits and seasons you can keep your duck limits and seasons" just keep forking over your money and we are happy.

JUST MY OPINION
ShootThemInTheEye
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:25 pm

Funny thing is I said to lower the limits and got killed for saying it a few months ago and now some are starting to realize that the numbers here suck and have sucked and wait until there is no rain this year because if you think it sucks now you havent seen a thing yet....
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby ShootThemInTheEye » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:01 pm

Yellowdog, I will go one further than lower mallard limits. Stop hunting after the first week in January. Back in the day it ALWAYS closed the first week of January. I was taught if you shoot birds later that that your killing pair bonded birds. Anyone who has shot one out of a pair or wigeon late season and watches the other come back knows what I am talking about. And the reason our season is so late? Thank you big money /powerful duck club lobbies.

Just because our commission allows things doesn't make it right.... And don't even get me started on late season youth hunts Hell some honkers are already paired up and ready to start nesting that late.
ShootThemInTheEye
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:17 pm

How about lower all the limits and shorten the season by a few weeks

Watch this go crazy now :)
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby ShootThemInTheEye » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:01 pm

Honestly I think the commission has a pretty good handle on most of the duck species...Scaup , sprig and even though we see tons of canvasback their numbers fluctuate so wildly due to not being able to walk after hatching I can see them being cautious but they are missing a very big piece of the mallard puzzle or completely ignoring it. If indeed we are not getting a northern migration of mallard we are putting way too much pressure on our local population. Sure the flyway population is fine but what good does that do us if we keep killing the locals and don't get a migration? Again plenty of rain up north so the flyway is going to be just fine if we don't get a drop of rain here. Rather than stop killing mallard now we should have had a limit of 2 through mid December in my opinion.
ShootThemInTheEye
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:21 pm

Finally someone who gets it :) Sweet Baby Ray
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:52 pm

yellowdog53 did those 20 gauge shells knock those fat mallards down ok? haha
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Mendy

yes they did just find son see those birds laying there on the ground your 20 guage shells helped do the trick :)
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:25 pm

lol probably coulda shot them with a 410 the way they came in i bet
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:05 pm

Didn't read the whole thread. Was the original lure surface iron, or feathers? :lol3: :lol3:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby #1wingnut » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:16 pm

Mean Gene wrote:Didn't read the whole thread. Was the original lure surface iron, or feathers? :lol3: :lol3:

Are you kidding me.. :fingerpt: This is an all live bait thread. :yes:
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby ShootThemInTheEye » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 pm

#1wingnut wrote:
Mean Gene wrote:Didn't read the whole thread. Was the original lure surface iron, or feathers? :lol3: :lol3:

Are you kidding me.. :fingerpt: This is an all live bait thread. :yes:

More like a bottle of fish oil. Everyone knows it's good for them but no one is willing to swallow it.
ShootThemInTheEye
hunter

Postby Privileged hunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:53 pm

Just for the record I don't consider myself to be a privileged hunter. It means I feel privileged to be able to hunt. And what the hell is a troll? Glad to see some people know what there talking about, but some others are completely lost. For the guy that shot the sprig that was banded in maxwell, tell me what you think the history of that bird is.
Privileged hunter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:51 am

Egg. Wings. Flight. Bang.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:29 am

Privileged hunter wrote: And what the hell is a troll?

image.jpg
image.jpg (21.04 KiB) Viewed 768 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (22.17 KiB) Viewed 768 times
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:28 am

slowshooter wrote:Egg. Wings. Flight. Bang.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby JonD » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:19 pm

slowshooter wrote:Egg. Wings. Flight. Bang.

:lol:

Beat me to it. You forgot about the getting banded part though haha
JonD
hunter

Postby Privileged hunter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Arrest my case
Privileged hunter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to California Duck Hunting