Gray Lodge 1st time - low resi / new dog

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Gray Lodge 1st time - low resi / new dog

Postby ntm711 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:06 am

I drew #6 for my first hunt tomorrow at Gray Lodge. I've got a "rookie duck dog" and am concerned as to which side I should hunt and would appreciate any advice the seasoned vets are willing to share. The majority of the posts in this forum indicate that the west is the hot side, but that the east has a few honey holes if you're willing to put the time in and locate them. So my question is: is there more elbow room on the east side? Specifically, if I don't like my first spot will it be easier to pickup, scout the area and setup again on the east side without disturbing anyone else's hunt. My primary objective this time out is two fold: 1) get my dog dialed in to water fowl hunting and 2) scout the area and get the lay of the land for future hunts. I'm not going to ask for your hot spot, but if you're willing to share recommendations on parking lots -- or areas to flat out avoid -- I'd appreciate it.
ntm711
Newb

Re: Gray Lodge 1st time - low resi / new dog

Postby mikemac » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:44 am

talk with the guys at the check station. Find out how many people on the sweatline are going East/West. That will give you an idea where most of the shooters will be. Make sure you keep your dog under control. Nothing worse than having a dog take off on you and end up following another hunter.
mikemac
hunter

Postby darkwater27 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:37 pm

To answer your question I would say hunt the west side but avoid the west end that is where the firing line will set up. Do a google earth view and pick out some spots in the middle of the west side. You won't have as much company and there are lots of spots to move to if need be. Oh and leave the dog in the kennel at the check stand........there are normally quite a few dogs at the lodge.
darkwater27
hunter

Postby ntm711 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:37 am

Thanks for the advice. Being my first time out at GL it was an experience to say the least. I took the ranger's advice and hunted out of parking lot #6 since he claimed there was a decent bird population out there the day before. Found a descent spot with plenty of separation between me and all the other hunters. Took one drake shortly after shooting time and passed on two spoonies. The shooting in my area dropped off significantly after 9AM, but the guys out of lot #7/#8 had descent activity through midday. Looking forward to future hunts now that I've scouted out a few more spots and have a slightly better idea as to what it's all about.
ntm711
Newb

Return to California Duck Hunting