Purchasing a blind

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Purchasing a blind

Postby greasy70 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:38 pm

I am getting my gear to start duck hunting and was looking into purchasing a portable blind. I really like Ameristep Brick home one. Seems like a good blind with good viewing. But wanted to know if it would be good to shoot out of, or am I really limiting my field of view with this? Is it best to go with a blind that has a top that opens? It would mostly be just me and my buddy. Please let me know your thoughts. Also if it helps, we will do most our hunting down in Salton Sea.
greasy70
Newb

Re: Purchasing a blind

Postby lcates » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:30 pm

never been to salton see but if its a lot of open water and low weeds I would get float tubes and camo up they would never see u
lcates
hunter

Postby Limitsx10 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:53 pm

I don't think you'd be happy with that kind of blind at all. The top would interfere with a good number of your shooting opportunities. If you are hunting an area with tulies or other vegetation you can just suck into them and be still. If there is no cover I'd go with layout blinds. Good luck.
Limitsx10
hunter

Postby Portuguese Duck Slayer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:59 pm

Limitsx10 wrote:I don't think you'd be happy with that kind of blind at all. The top would interfere with a good number of your shooting opportunities. If you are hunting an area with tulies or other vegetation you can just suck into them and be still. If there is no cover I'd go with layout blinds. Good luck.

Second that.... :thumbsup:

Don't think that's a "duck" blind. Rule of thumb..... a good blind is no higher than the cover around you.
Portuguese Duck Slayer
hunter

Postby Duckmansmoon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:06 am

Did that once at Wister with that type of blind. Never again, I stuck out like a preacher at the bunny ranch.
Duckmansmoon
hunter

Postby greasy70 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:29 am

Thanks. I will most likely build my own with painted pvc and camo netting. Hey Duckmansoon, what did most people seem to have at Wister for blinds?
greasy70
Newb

Return to California Duck Hunting