Be careful from the Sun

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, duckman2000

Be careful from the Sun

Postby coachbob » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:33 pm

Yesterday hunting Delevan, I had two birds come out of the sun and set into the decoys. Saw the first was a drake spoonie and shot it. Pulled up on second bird and dumped it as well. Awesome up til the dog brought back the second bird and it was my 3rd Sprig!! :no:
Met the warden on the way back, explained the situation and took my medicine, a ticket for $175. OUCH!! So don't assume identity of birds flying together, it can bite you in the A--.
If only I didn't shoot spoonies :fingerhead:
coachbob
hunter

Re: Be careful from the Sun

Postby OGblackcloud » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks for sharing and your honesty . Don't see a whole lot of that anymore :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby sweatliner » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:42 pm

So that's where he was headed. Saw him in the lot before he drove out there.
sweatliner
hunter

Postby Miggs » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:22 pm

That sucks ! but did he let you keep the bird?
Miggs
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:27 pm

unless they (the warden) see you shoot the illegal bird here in MO, most of the boys around here do a little Missouri mud stomp.

*not saying I have done this nor encourage others to do so. Just stating what I have herd though the grape vine.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby chinogoose » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:40 pm

OGblackcloud wrote:Thanks for sharing and your honesty . Don't see a whole lot of that anymore :thumbsup:

X2 :thumbsup:
chinogoose
hunter

Postby zkalinowski » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:34 pm

Kudos on taking the ticket instead of stomping it or tossing it in the bushes. Hate seeing birds go to waste...
All your spoonies are belong to us
zkalinowski
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:01 pm

zkalinowski wrote:Kudos on taking the ticket instead of stomping it or tossing it in the bushes. Hate seeing birds go to waste...

I am sure it was still wasted. I bet the warden had to take it. Should have just stuck it down the Wadders. Not like they strip search you.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:37 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
zkalinowski wrote:Kudos on taking the ticket instead of stomping it or tossing it in the bushes. Hate seeing birds go to waste...

I am sure it was still wasted. I bet the warden had to take it. Should have just stuck it down the Wadders. Not like they strip search you.

I'm all for honesty and what not but unless your made of money that's the strangest thing iv ever heard of. Do you call the police and tell them that yellow light you thought you could make turned red before you made it? :huh: either way. I bet you won't let that happen again.
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby coachbob » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:09 pm

Wardern was headed to late shooters in another blind. But I didn't know that. Married to a retired cop and son is a cop. Honesty is best policy.
coachbob
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:16 pm

OGblackcloud wrote:Thanks for sharing and your honesty . Don't see a whole lot of that anymore :thumbsup:

Says captain skyscraper lol. Did you like that gadwall drake I smoked that flared off your spread Saturday? Lol
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:47 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:

I am sure it was still wasted. I bet the warden had to take it. Should have just stuck it down the Waders. Not like they strip search you.

Wait, you mean to tell me I'm the only one getting strip searched??? Haha, just kidding. I've been shell checked in the morning and had them ask me to step out of my waders to make sure I didn't have shells in my boots. It's annoying, but if it keeps jackwads from packing out 5 boxes of shells and skyscraping all day I'm all for it. Warden presence helps keep people honest, just wish I saw more wardens out at the refuges. I'm amazed at the ridiculous stuff I see at refuges, always call it in, but only had warden respond a few times.
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:00 pm

ericwjennings wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:

I am sure it was still wasted. I bet the warden had to take it. Should have just stuck it down the Waders. Not like they strip search you.

Wait, you mean to tell me I'm the only one getting strip searched??? Haha, just kidding. I've been shell checked in the morning and had them ask me to step out of my waders to make sure I didn't have shells in my boots. It's annoying, but if it keeps jackwads from packing out 5 boxes of shells and skyscraping all day I'm all for it. Warden presence helps keep people honest, just wish I saw more wardens out at the refuges. I'm amazed at the ridiculous stuff I see at refuges, always call it in, but only had warden respond a few times.

I have seen them ask once because they had a tip some one was sneaking shells in. Busted the guy with a full extra box down his pant leg. I also wish there was more officer presence out on the refuges. Some of the stuff that goes on out there is rediculeous .
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby zkalinowski » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:05 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:

Touche. I had a friend get busted for late shooting a couple years back, and he forgot his license at home and they let him keep his birds. $1200 for a honker and a hen mallard wasn't exactly worth it, though. The best part was it was his birthday :lol3: lesson learned.
All your spoonies are belong to us
zkalinowski
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:37 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
ericwjennings wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:

I have seen them ask once because they had a tip some one was sneaking shells in. Busted the guy with a full extra box down his pant leg. I also wish there was more officer presence out on the refuges. Some of the stuff that goes on out there is rediculeous .

I've been checked mostly at Sac and Delevan, but that's because the federal warden Randy gets after it, and focuses on those refuges. Versus DFG guys being spread thin. Hunting all this season at Gray Lodge I've definitely seen some ridiculous stuff. Makes my 1 day at Delevan this year all the more fun. Nobody crowding in, not having 9 people trying to hunt the same small pond, and being able to work birds in without someone shooting at them at 100+ yards.
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:21 pm

wanapasaki wrote:

Says captain skyscraper lol. Did you like that gadwall drake I smoked that flared off your spread Saturday? Lol

The only reason he flared was because I was picking up decoys. Did you enjoy the show ? Might I add my shooting was on par with Tom Knapp (RIP Tom) I see you still think you can kill them at 70 to 100 yrds :no: If it wasn't so late in the season I would take you under my wing and teach you the right way maybe next year or better yet lets make plans to work on it in the off season. I will give you credit for not being a loud smart aleck this time so you are a fast learner. Any how I hope the rest of your season goes good. :lol3:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Butta boom » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:39 pm

Honesty is the best policy, only if it yields the best outcome. To volunteer that you made a mistake, or your dog caught a cripple on your way in, and the wardens have zero leeway, then honesty is not the best policy. The best policy is trying to hide every violation no matter how innocent, because the outcome is the same.

I have thirty years ago, seen wardens show discretion and leniency, especially towards younger hunters, that admitted an honest mistake. Those days are gone. The wardens complain that they are being lied to, but if there is no possible discression on their part, whose fault is it really?

The new crop of wardens will reap what they have sown, with the hunting public. Maybe their training is at fault, but if their training is at fault, then isn't the state at fault for providing that training? And if the state of California is at fault, being the largest state, doesn't that indict the entire country? Well, I'll be danged if I will sit here and let the United States of America take the blame for a bunch of jerk wardens!
Butta boom
hunter

Postby ShootThemInTheEye » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:16 pm

Every hunter that has hunted long enough has made a mistake. Maybe pointing at one bird and killing the one behind or over limiting with one shot. As long as there is no intent there should never be a violation. unfortunately that isn't the case these days. 30 years ago wardens would look at a situation and could make a judgment call. Now they just write tickets. If you weren't feeling guilt you probably would have gotten away with it? Personally I would never bring in a mistake I think that compounds the problem. Wonder if you called the warden and told him what you did if it ends any different? Probably not and that's sad.

Just remember it wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor! :lol3:
ShootThemInTheEye
hunter

Postby hntndux » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:31 am

Id have to agree with the "Honest Mistake" rule, The Wardens are not going to give you an ounce of slack. I was "Honest" one time at SAc 25 years ago when being checked, forgot a 10 pack of shells in my bag from clubbing and offered it up to them, $250.00..
hntndux
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:35 am

Butta boom wrote:Honesty is the best policy, only if it yields the best outcome. To volunteer that you made a mistake, or your dog caught a cripple on your way in, and the wardens have zero leeway, then honesty is not the best policy. The best policy is trying to hide every violation no matter how innocent, because the outcome is the same.

I have thirty years ago, seen wardens show discretion and leniency, especially towards younger hunters, that admitted an honest mistake. Those days are gone. The wardens complain that they are being lied to, but if there is no possible discression on their part, whose fault is it really?

The new crop of wardens will reap what they have sown, with the hunting public. Maybe their training is at fault, but if their training is at fault, then isn't the state at fault for providing that training? And if the state of California is at fault, being the largest state, doesn't that indict the entire country? Well, I'll be danged if I will sit here and let the United States of America take the blame for a bunch of jerk wardens!

Not always true. I was with a father/son this year and the son shot a hen pheasant. went to the check station and self reported. The warden came and talked to the kid and the father. had the son right a shor essay about wildlife management and offered to take the two on a ride along. Kept it out of the courts, kid learned a lesson and now he wants to be a warden. There are still good wardens doing good things out there. we just always hear about the bad ones.
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby dave3006 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:43 am

Do you turn yourself in every time you go over the speed limit?
dave3006
hunter

Postby coachbob » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:36 pm

Thanks for all the support. When I saw Randy, I didn't know if he was after me or someone else, but it didn't matter. A federal citation would have cost 3 times as much as a state 'failure to obey regs' ticket which is what I received. Could I have gotten away with it? Probably. Would it have bothered me more than getting the ticket? ABSOLUTELY!! Even though I took hunter safety 50 years ago, I still remember the part about ethics and hunting. Sounds like some could use a refresher. Stay safe! :beer:
coachbob
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:14 pm

coachbob wrote:Thanks for all the support. When I saw Randy, I didn't know if he was after me or someone else, but it didn't matter. A federal citation would have cost 3 times as much as a state 'failure to obey regs' ticket which is what I received. Could I have gotten away with it? Probably. Would it have bothered me more than getting the ticket? ABSOLUTELY!! Even though I took hunter safety 50 years ago, I still remember the part about ethics and hunting. Sounds like some could use a refresher. Stay safe! :beer:

Not everyone has enough cash to go and willingly give themself a citation. You can learn a lesson without punishing yourself.
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:35 pm

The real question is why the duck was not identified before pulling the trigger.. The sun is no excuse as many a hunter has shot another hunter because they "thought" it was game and didn't identify the target before pulling the trigger.

Look mistakes happen and it is beyond me why someone would come on a forum and tell everyone they shot into the sun and to be careful and ohh and by the way I did the ethical thing and reported it?? Is it the good boy award were looking for or what?? I am not sure why anyone would tell strangers this story not to mention you know this goes on your hunting license record and could cause problems down the road if another "mistake"or two happens???

:help: :help: :help:
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:00 pm

yellowdog53 wrote:The real question is why the duck was not identified before pulling the trigger.. The sun is no excuse as many a hunter has shot another hunter because they "thought" it was game and didn't identify the target before pulling the trigger.

Look mistakes happen and it is beyond me why someone would come on a forum and tell everyone they shot into the sun and to be careful and ohh and by the way I did the ethical thing and reported it?? Is it the good boy award were looking for or what?? I am not sure why anyone would tell strangers this story not to mention you know this goes on your hunting license record and could cause problems down the road if another "mistake"or two happens???

:help: :help: :help:

That what I was thinking from the start but didn't want to be that guy.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting