Be careful from the Sun

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Re: Be careful from the Sun

Postby dave3006 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:28 pm

This whole thread is a joke on multiple levels. I still want to know if the OP turns himself in when he speeds? Does he have the CHP on speed dial?

The whole thing is a "Look at me. I'm so ethical" combined with a victim like, creepy groveling to authority for validation.
dave3006
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:31 pm

dave3006 wrote:This whole thread is a joke on multiple levels. I still want to know if the OP turns himself in when he speeds? Does he have the CHP on speed dial?

The whole thing is a "Look at me. I'm so ethical" combined with a victim like, creepy groveling to authority for validation.

He does have them on speed dial. His wife and kid are cops he said.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:42 pm

911 on a cell phone goes to the chp... If you have an iPhone then you too have them on speed dial.
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:43 pm

Whatever some of you guys...

I think he IS an ethical guy and I know when you do make mistakes they kind of sits on your gut and gnaws at you even if no one knows but you, so it was probably cathartic to some degree to not only turn himself in but to come here and "confess" for his sins. Obviously not the most forgiving crowd for sure. Ironically Yellowdog53...who often derides people and just recently sarcastically pointed out how everyone here only shoots feet down at 20 yds., doesn't sky scrape, calls like a state champion, etc...is jumping on the bandwagon as well.

While I certainly think there is some culpability for shooting more than two pintail he certainly realizes this and will not shoot into the sun anymore w/o identifying the species and that this was no excuse just the reason. There is a difference there some seem to be confusing. We all have made mistakes and everyone here can choose to do as they wish..stomping birds, or hiding them among the other certainly not less culpable decisions some suggested. However if you did indeed get caught doing that I am more than sure they would throw the book at you for those decisions and you wouldn't IMHO have a ounce of credibility to defend yourself with.

In this case the guy made a mistake took his punishment and as far as I am concerned it's the end of the story. Before anyone throws any more stones from their glass houses let's hear your stories...I have my own, I human, I just choose to keep them to myself, dealt with them and chose not hypocritically criticize others who might have big enough stones to share some here. Heck it's not a felony nor even anything close and most here think they should be shooting 7 a day anyway. :rolleyes:
Last edited by marsh-mello on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:59 pm

Dave hit the nail on the head... Just can't figure out why someone would confess on a forum where there will be both a bashing and a atta boy handed out.. I'm not bashing anyone I just can't figure out why anyone feels the need to confess on here and do we now stop at over th elimit or do we go to speeding to get to the place we hunt or what is confessable ( I know that isn't a word but sure sounded good)

The real question is why are we shooting at something we did not identify before hand.. How many times does it happen where someone mistakes a deer for a person or a turkey and they say Opps....

I like everyone else on these forums always shoot ducks at 20 yards or less feet down, never crowd anyone, never leave a empty casing or trash in the field, never yell at anyone and always shoot my limit of big ducks...I am entitled to do so..
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:02 pm

OGblackcloud wrote:
wanapasaki wrote:
OGblackcloud wrote:Thanks for sharing and your honesty . Don't see a whole lot of that anymore :thumbsup:

Says captain skyscraper lol. Did you like that gadwall drake I smoked that flared off your spread Saturday? Lol

The only reason he flared was because I was picking up decoys. Did you enjoy the show ? Might I add my shooting was on par with Tom Knapp (RIP Tom) I see you still think you can kill them at 70 to 100 yrds :no: If it wasn't so late in the season I would take you under my wing and teach you the right way maybe next year or better yet lets make plans to work on it in the off season. I will give you credit for not being a loud smart aleck this time so you are a fast learner. Any how I hope the rest of your season goes good. :lol3:

I think your mistaken.. Still didn't get on kern.. Showed up late... Your shots were plenty off, though why did you leave a coot in the blind? :fingerpt: Only took one shot that morning till you left.. 1 shot 1 gadwall pal :beer: Season must be going better than yours cuz I still haven't shot a coot yet :hi:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:20 pm

yellowdog53 wrote:Dave hit the nail on the head... Just can't figure out why someone would confess on a forum where there will be both a bashing and a atta boy handed out.. I'm not bashing anyone I just can't figure out why anyone feels the need to confess on here and do we now stop at over th elimit or do we go to speeding to get to the place we hunt or what is confessable ( I know that isn't a word but sure sounded good)

The real question is why are we shooting at something we did not identify before hand.. How many times does it happen where someone mistakes a deer for a person or a turkey and they say Opps....

I like everyone else on these forums always shoot ducks at 20 yards or less feet down, never crowd anyone, never leave a empty casing or trash in the field, never yell at anyone and always shoot my limit of big ducks...I am entitled to do so..

Well I told you why you might go back and read it again...

I do agree with you and I am sure the original poster would as well. Do not shoot at something you cannot identify even if in his case he made a mistake by doing so and owned up to it. Probably not going to mistake a duck in the air and in the glare of sun for a person though can you agree with that? Keep it real and don't go overboard with comparing mistaking a person for a flying duck. Don't confuse my point with making an excuse or excusing him.

Also it's not like everyone drives 100 mph through school zones everyday when everyone is comparing the speeding issue so let's get real. Going 5 mph or so over the speed limit, I ASSume is what most people do regularly as I see it on a daily basis? Really come on now, it isn't a felony either and certainly nothing to turn yourself in for.

More like breaking a bottle or item in a store...what should you do just walk away or let the store manager know and take what comes with the mistake? Probably just paying a small price for the mistake owning up to it and NOT making any excuses even if your hands were sweaty and you should have wiped them off before handling the item or you tossed it in the air. A mistake you should have known better but you're a human so pay the price and move on. You and the rest of the crowd decide that one too and let me know.

Some of the Apples and Oranges getting juggled around may not be quite hitting the mark here.
Last edited by marsh-mello on Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:27 pm

Marsh

I'm just saying WHAT IF know before you shoot is all... Plus when you post openly on a forum expect all types of responses both positive and negative from your post... Still not sure why a confession is needed on a forum.. :huh: :huh:
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:38 pm

yellowdog53 wrote:Marsh

I'm just saying WHAT IF know before you shoot is all... Plus when you post openly on a forum expect all types of responses both positive and negative from your post... Still not sure why a confession is needed on a forum.. :huh: :huh:

NO that's not all your saying and that's NOT all your agreeing with as you agreed with the other poster which adds just a bit more to your comments. If all anyone said was just know what your shooting at that no one is going to debate...but it got into levels of wrong, ethics, validations, and creepy and ridiculous comments regarding confessions. That's all.

I'll say it again, because most really honest people have a conscious and it is cathartic to confess and relieve yourself of some of the guilt you might have and perhaps also to put oneself out there so others can learn from your admitted and recognized mistakes. That's just human nature and thats why we have priests who listen to this stuff all the time. Perhaps it was the wrong venue perhaps it was not? Although we have many Saints here they certainly can choose as you say...comment as they see fit, just as I do. just because someone comments doesn't make their comment worth squat...especially if it is overtly negative and is missing the point. If I have an opinion I certainly should be able to defend and explain it to anyone just as I have done here to you. With some of the negative comments made the OP may choose to just let it drop which is what I would do and he has appeared to do have done at this point

I'm ready now for the never ending Kern Battle to take precedent..LMAO!
Last edited by marsh-mello on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:55 pm

Marsh

Now you are reading into it what you want to like most people do when things are typed.. In relaity could care less if he was speeding or shooting a duck over the limit..

For the last time I am more concerened about not knowing what you shoot when you shoot at it. Again confessing on a forum will never end well....Why the need to confess over shooting a duck is well I don't even know what it is and honesty and the like has nothing to do with it here on this forum as the confession was already made..

So your misisng the point here with the confession and not focusing on the fact that someone just shot into the sun... So if I confess I can just shoot into a bush and if your sitting in it I confessed so it is all good??

We can agreee to disagree and it is all good :)
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:02 pm

yellowdog53 wrote:Marsh

Now you are reading into it what you want to like most people do when things are typed.. In relaity could care less if he was speeding or shooting a duck over the limit..

For the last time I am more concerened about not knowing what you shoot when you shoot at it. Again confessing on a forum will never end well....Why the need to confess over shooting a duck is well I don't even know what it is and honesty and the like has nothing to do with it here on this forum as the confession was already made..

So your misisng the point here with the confession and not focusing on the fact that someone just shot into the sun... So if I confess I can just shoot into a bush and if your sitting in it I confessed so it is all good??

We can agreee to disagree and it is all good :)

What do you mean honestly has nothing to do wth it...it has everything to do with it along with integrity and a few other traits missing from some peoples conscious now a days. Especially given some of alternatives suggested which others feel better serve them personally? I am not reading into anything Dave said it you agreed with it go back and read it yourself and see who is reading into what. Ethics being mentioned ethics are what a person does above and beyond what is required usually by law and is done for personal reasons..no one has the right to question another's good ethics in this situation, let alone referring to it as a joke? What say you?

NO it's not good if you shoot into a bush..but I am not going to make some capricious comparison to you shooting into a bush if you are shooting into the sky either. Not to even mention the ridiculous and specious speeding analogy. You applauded Dave's post which is more than you are accepting you agree with or assert now.

Confessing who knows we have many new people to the sport and I bet they will think twice regarding the OP example and yours as well which are both valid examples of where someone could go wrong. Perhaps it may actually help reinforce one of the basic principles which you also state people STILL violate. SO there is room for reinforcement correct? OF course an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and certainly someone's life. I am willing to see this post as a positive in that direction and your point as far as it goes to addressing that issue is not in dispute.

Now did the OP say it was a good thing he did shoot into the sun and say he might do it again? You're certainly acting like it.

How about that store scenario is it not a better comparison and more applicable rather than treating him like a shoplifter?

Do you understand anything I am saying? I am about ready to agree to disagree but you won't even admit to the points you supported so perhaps it's too confusing for you to realize what you think you thought....LMAO!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:21 am

Marsh

You obviously put way too much time and effort into this thread.. Bottom line is he broke the law by not knowing what he was shooting at felt bad and came onto here for atta boys for doing the right thing.. How about not breaking the law to begin with and go from there..

Of course I dont understand a word your saying and of course you are right and your points are valid and I dont understand at all LMAO REALLY?? How about the bottom line and nothing more is that someone broke the law and they are sorry after they did and needed to confess for whatever reasons they might have within themselves...

This has turned into a preaching surmon from you so to that I say AMEN BROTHER !!!!

You win you win I confess I confess now I am free....
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:10 am

Consider just for a moment along with your deeper thoughts on this and other issues, you put too much time into the many posts of your own here as well. Other than this thread, unlike you, I don't have to preach to everyone on every thread and continually beat my head against the wall. Perhaps you should have just gone back and addressed the sentences with questions marks at the end. Sometimes things are not as black and white as some would like to see them.

You never addressed the other more egregious suggestions made by others of other alternative and perhaps more culpable actions after the fact.

You never addressed the alternative analogy which is patently more similar in nature (breaking store items) other than the ridiculous speeding. In addition comparing it to shooting into a bush and endangering people was a stretch although you are correct with regards to knowing your target...he knew it was a duck just not a sprig. He knows that was wrong and manned up about it in a few ways did he not? He doesn't need anyone else to tell him that.

You never addressed the fact that many people think shooting 7 pintail is just fine and they think they should while chastising him here.

You never addressed the statement that Dave thought it was a joke and the other statements you hitched your wagon too nor consider the human condition. Some folks on here are pretty quick to throw stones from their glass houses as I am more than sure anyone who has spent any amount of time in the out of doors probably has more than a few skeletons in their closet. You tell me what takes more balls keeping them swept under the rug or coming clean all the way around even to your peers who you know might be judgmental? Yup that's another question mark...

I am more than sure the OP knows he broke the regulation===double duh. But thanks to Captain obvious we all can rest easy now. What is not so obvious is some peoples inability to apply a little more understanding of what ethics are and a deeper understanding of human nature and psychology. But of course with your advanced degree and astute insights into these things I am sure you know exactly why he came here and how he and we should be subsequently lectured... :no:

I REALLY seriously do not think you understand at all, and making jokes about it and deflecting doesn't help you in the process. You continually disregard some of the salient points I have made and do not address the questions and statements I have made as part of a "discussion". You see part of having a discussion is listening and addressing all the issues being raised and bantered about in these discussions. Your tendency to agree and perpetuate some multiple shotgunned negative statements by not separating out your agreements or disagreements didn't serve you so well in your now weak although more accurate myopic assertions. This time again you boiled it down to something which no one ever disputed while ignoring the rest. Jumping on the bandwagon sometimes while failing to express how you might disagree with other pertinent mitigating circumstances or alternative scenarios or even recognize they exist is intellectually dishonest. I just called you out on it.

Hey as "someone" consistently says here if you don't like hearing what others have to say positive or negative then don't post..now who would say something like that? Other than your sarcasm I do believe some of this stuff did finally sink in.
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby Calikev » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Oops.........I accidentally shot a swan looking into the sun.................

Big white bird and all that glare..................it could happen to any of you...........

Am I ethical now? :huh:
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:57 pm

One time at band camp......Holy crap I think it is Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson for the love of God...

Shoot all the pintain you want shoot all the swans you want do whatever you want just be ready to pay the fine and suck it up... No need to confess on a forum wwhere people will agree and disagree with you for not knowing what you were shooting at..

The bottom line is bad judgement to shoot into the sun without knowing what you were shooting at and that is it.. Nothing more nothing less..

So if you shoot into the sun and shoot Marsh and confess he will be ok with it because you confessed your sins...:) :huh: :huh:

PS I don't really care about this thread either just messing around to get responses and as usual I did...
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:01 pm

Kevin you are what you were both before and after, I don't see any remorse or change there taking place with you on any level just acknoledgement...so just lay off the swans next time and you'll be OK bud. Oh yeah that and be sure to man up pay your fine because all these ethical guys would have turned you in for sure seeing such a "fowl" thing being done. They would never assume you'd do it yourself and some might think you were an idiot on several levels if you did, so no ethical points for you, sorry. You would also have to admit first that you could possibly have shot a white suited skydiver who landed behind a bush taking a dump by mistake. Or perhaps they would suggest you just stuffed it down your pants (is that a swan or are you just happy to see me? :lol3: ) or stomp it into the mud...better use both feet though and weigh 350 lbs! Then you'd surely be their kind of "ethical". :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sheesh you forgot to mention if it was a hen or a drake...makes a big difference you know... Probably a hen. :fingerpt:

"Pintain" Yellowdog53 do you use a syringe to shoot those up with? Is it some kind of mind altering drug you're taking? Just asking...

You guys aren't the only ones who know what fun is...LMAO!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:21 am

Someone acknowledges making a mistake and paying the price.

Then the negative nancies start in and the original sinner is accused of fishing for credibility or forgiveness. Which, no insult meant to anyone, no one here is qualified to hand out. This is the internet after all.

When someone sneers because another admits to making a mistake, it says more about the guy that sneers than the guy that says "oops!".
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:02 am

Damn interracial marriages
"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:12 am

slowshooter wrote:Someone acknowledges making a mistake and paying the price.

Then the negative nancies start in and the original sinner is accused of fishing for credibility or forgiveness. Which, no insult meant to anyone, no one here is qualified to hand out. This is the internet after all.

When someone sneers because another admits to making a mistake, it says more about the guy that sneers than the guy that says "oops!".

The truth about why it doesn't rain in California !
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:56 am

Ahh the joys of the public forum and all that goes with it... If you post you are subject to open forum positive and negative comments so think about that before creating threads...

The freedom of the net :)
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:42 am

sprigs4days wrote:Damn interracial marriages

Guess who's coming to dinner? Lol. I know the old farts will get that.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:19 am

I CONFESS.....I HAVE A RASH IN A PRIVATE AREA!!!!
quigby979
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:01 pm

The guy did not "turn himself in". He elected to walk out of the marsh with an illegal bird he shot...and pay the consequences for it if he did get caught. If the warden had not shown up, I doubt if the OP would have called anyone.
I did the same thing myself and was glad I did: did not get caught and did not waste a fine whitefront (one over the limit).
It wasn't right or wrong, just a decision made out in the marsh to not stomp the bird.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Calikev » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:43 pm

marsh-mello wrote:Kevin you are what you were both before and after, I don't see any remorse or change there taking place with you on any level just acknoledgement...so just lay off the swans next time and you'll be OK bud. Oh yeah that and be sure to man up pay your fine because all these ethical guys would have turned you in for sure seeing such a "fowl" thing being done. They would never assume you'd do it yourself and some might think you were an idiot on several levels if you did, so no ethical points for you, sorry. You would also have to admit first that you could possibly have shot a white suited skydiver who landed behind a bush taking a dump by mistake. Or perhaps they would suggest you just stuffed it down your pants (is that a swan or are you just happy to see me? :lol3: ) or stomp it into the mud...better use both feet though and weigh 350 lbs! Then you'd surely be their kind of "ethical". :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sheesh you forgot to mention if it was a hen or a drake...makes a big difference you know... Probably a hen. :fingerpt:

"Pintain" Yellowdog53 do you use a syringe to shoot those up with? Is it some kind of mind altering drug you're taking? Just asking...

You guys aren't the only ones who know what fun is...LMAO!

I tried to shoot the snows with bar bellies but I couldn't find any.............. :thumbsup: so I just shot the biggest "white" one.

Did I do something wrong??? :huh:
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:56 pm

Kev

Sorry I shot you in the ass man I didn't see you there the sun was in my eyes...

Opps

Guess I will tell Ricky Ranger if I see him on the way out then come to a forum and ask for foregiveness for being stupid.. :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
yellowdog53
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to California Duck Hunting