Found the ducks in the valley today

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Postby svwaterfowl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Hunted my blind this morning without touching my gun which was strange because 2 days ago hammered the spoonies with same weather conditions. Did a search for the ducks after and decided to drive back to the Bay Area on 99 to the ISE show in sac. All the ducks are in between yuba city and Sacramento ave on the west side of the freeway. Amazing sight. You guys should check it out if you travel hwy 99 to your blind. Good luck this weekend guys.
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” -Walter Cronkite
“When I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck.”-
James Whitcomb Riley
svwaterfowl
hunter

Re: Found the ducks in the valley today

Postby Butta boom » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:05 pm

I think you must have driven past Dingville, the headquarters for Montna Farms. The ducks and geese tend to stack up next to the hwy. there. They are mostly sprig, and the members are not shooting many ducks outside of the sprig limit.

Why they like to sit by the highway who knows, they do the same thing along 113 south of the bypass as well. Maybe they like the road noise.

While it is nice to see the ducks, the lack of wigeon and teal on these ponds is puzzling.
Butta boom
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:12 pm

svwaterfowl wrote:Hunted my blind this morning without touching my gun which was strange because 2 days ago hammered the spoonies with same weather conditions. Did a search for the ducks after and decided to drive back to the Bay Area on 99 to the ISE show in sac. All the ducks are in between yuba city and Sacramento ave on the west side of the freeway. Amazing sight. You guys should check it out if you travel hwy 99 to your blind. Good luck this weekend guys.

My friend has a pit out there off of the 99 on Nelson rd on the freeway side. It's been tuff shooting. There are plenty of birds in the area, they have just been here to long and know where to go. We need a good push of birds from
The north that don't have evey blind south of Chico on their map.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:39 am

Butta boom wrote:I think you must have driven past Dingville, the headquarters for Montna Farms. The ducks and geese tend to stack up next to the hwy. there. They are mostly sprig, and the members are not shooting many ducks outside of the sprig limit.

This is not entirely true. The ducks and geese are definitely in there by the thousands, but we haven't been getting the sprig to decoy, mainly the widgeon. We definitely pay waaaayyy to much money but it is all forgotten for the last few weeks when the birds come in. Pretty awesome thing to see. I am saddened to hear the lack of birds around the valley and i have actually stopped going to the blind in biggs. I know we are extremely fortunate right now, but I know everyday is different out there and I know these birds will push and move on. My fiancé is finishing up the video editing on the last hunts since Christmas. I just wear the go pro, I am not good at the movie part.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby svwaterfowl » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:54 am

Ya it was definetly the bulk of holding birds on the east side of the valley. It was field after field for about 3 miles stacked with widgeon pintail and spoonies. There only reason I'm still hunting my blind by Biggs is for the pup, he's only made about 30 retrieves this season and has a lot more to learn.
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” -Walter Cronkite
“When I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck.”-
James Whitcomb Riley
svwaterfowl
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:01 am

Yea it is pretty awesome to see. If all goes to plan, based on my thread about Teal, the trainer wants her back to me by the 18th. We will be getting her on her first hunts out in Biggs. She cannot be introduced in dingville. It would be way to hectic. Unless I can get the blind partners to only fire once. I doubt it though.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting