Los Banos Wildlife Area Help

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Los Banos Wildlife Area Help

Postby xyz123d » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:23 pm

Hi,

Newbi to Duckhunting chat and looking for some pointers hunting Los Banos. Drew #47 for next weekend and am stoked to try the area for the first time. Some questions i have are: Is there a local spot to camp? Is the cover significantly different on the north versus the south? are certain areas deep or is it all generally accessible with waders? Any general guidance you can give is appreciated.

Thanks.
xyz123d
Newb

Re: Los Banos Wildlife Area Help

Postby friedcoot » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:24 am

Find water. Ducks like water. Find cover, ducks will see you. Hunt at least 500 yards from others, nobody likes being crowded.
Use Eider, Black duck, bluewing teal, and tree duck decoys. If any are in the area, they will suck into your spread.
Good luck. Hope that helps.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby Calikev » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:18 am

Give the check station a call . They can answer all of those questions for you in more detail and then you don't have to get blasted on the net for asking for information on your very first post.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby ditchbanker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:18 pm

Calikev wrote:Give the check station a call . They can answer all of those questions for you in more detail and then you don't have to get blasted on the net for asking for information on your very first post.

what he said...good luck :thumbsup:
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
ditchbanker
hunter

Postby Portuguese Duck Slayer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:36 pm

Calikev wrote:Give the check station a call . They can answer all of those questions for you in more detail and then you don't have to get blasted on the net for asking for information on your very first post.

Would tend to agree with this....

First time on a refuge can be challenging. Do yourself a favor.... walk away from crowds as far as possible, find water, and hunt the morning. You can always move later for the afternoon. I wouldn't get to excited about finding the X.... you will have a better time off the beaten path. Last thing you want to do is stumble around in the dark with flashlights in your eyes.
Portuguese Duck Slayer
hunter

Postby Calikev » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:52 pm

Portuguese Duck Slayer wrote:

Would tend to agree with this....

First time on a refuge can be challenging. Do yourself a favor.... walk away from crowds as far as possible, find water, and hunt the morning. You can always move later for the afternoon. I wouldn't get to excited about finding the X.... you will have a better time off the beaten path. Last thing you want to do is stumble around in the dark with flashlights in your eyes.

Well said! :beer:
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby xyz123d » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:17 pm

Good to see a sense of humor coming through. Thanks for the check station tip. I will try to dig up the number right after i find my eider decoys and unicorn bait.
xyz123d
Newb

Postby xyz123d » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks for the pointers. We limeted today with a varied bag. Red Head, green wings, blue wings, cinnamon, gadwalls, golden eye, ring necks. Special thanks to the dfg guy who pointed us to blind 1a.
xyz123d
Newb

Postby slowshooter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:49 pm

Good for you guys! Glad to see that there was some traffic for you.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting