Sportsman Expo

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Sportsman Expo

Postby bandedbrant » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:44 pm

Any body going to the sportsman expo at the Cal Expo this weekend? Ill be there on Saturday looking for a new speck call and maybe a few turkey calls. What's your guys thoughts about 200 companies trying to sell a blind after the season we are having...?
Hope your lucks better with the birds than mine is.....
bandedbrant
hunter

Re: Sportsman Expo

Postby kyle916 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:56 pm

I used to go, but frankly it's like 90% guides there. I go to see cool stuff. with so many guides and other crap, there's not much else there. as for all the guides, I would never book a trip with a guide just based on what they told me at an expo and show me some fancy pictures. I would/will always go with guides that I know people have used and that I know are good. too many jerks out there.

my buddy said he was going tomorrow. he thinks he'll get a good deal on a new lanyard. and he might, but by the time you pay the $10 to park and $15 to get in... that ten or fifteen bucks you saved on the lanyard doesn't make sense.

just my 2 cents.
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:12 am

kyle916 wrote:I used to go, but frankly it's like 90% guides there. I go to see cool stuff. with so many guides and other crap, there's not much else there. as for all the guides, I would never book a trip with a guide just based on what they told me at an expo and show me some fancy pictures. I would/will always go with guides that I know people have used and that I know are good. too many jerks out there.

my buddy said he was going tomorrow. he thinks he'll get a good deal on a new lanyard. and he might, but by the time you pay the $10 to park and $15 to get in... that ten or fifteen bucks you saved on the lanyard doesn't make sense.

just my 2 cents.

Exactly. All guides or cooking stuff. Like 3 kennels booths and a few call booths. Don't forget the 9 dollar beers. :fingerhead:
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby das mudhen » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:19 am

No thoughts about blinds, haven't seen much of anyone actively trying to sell a duck blind at a Cali ISE show in maybe 20+- years....

Blinds with water for 2014-2015 are going to sell no matter what...

I go to the show to support the industry...

das mudhen
"Lighten up Francis"

Sgt. Hulka
das mudhen
hunter

Postby hntndux » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:25 am

Face it we are all SAPS!!! Throw down for the Sportsmens Show, It amazes me how WE keep coming back to the rice??Oh well it gets in your blood, could be out selling crack?
hntndux
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:45 am

das mudhen wrote:No thoughts about blinds, haven't seen much of anyone actively trying to sell a duck blind at a Cali ISE show in maybe 20+- years....

Blinds with water for 2014-2015 are going to sell no matter what...

I go to the show to support the industry...

das mudhen

I have gone for 5 years now and I have never seen guys trying to lease blinds out there.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:15 am

There used to be smokin deals on all kinds of sporting items at the expo. I remember when it was only in San Mateo. You could go on Sunday and make offers on the items and the dealers would sell things at dirt cheap because they didnt want to be packing the stuff up and taking product home with them. Now there are more shows for them to go to and internet sales so they are not in as big of a crunch to get rid of the product. Now with the cost of parking, food, etc. It just doesnt seem like there are any good deals there. And I certainly would never purchase a hunt there. might get some info and do some further research but would never sign up for a hunt at the show.
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby Portuguese Duck Slayer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:31 am

Haven't attended one of the ISE show's for several years. Driving from the Bay Area to Sac just isn't worth it to me. As far as the parking, food cost..... I don't see how that would deter most from attending. People pay more to go to watch the A's or Giants. Everyone has their priority list.....
Portuguese Duck Slayer
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:54 pm

I want to go there in a big crowded room and pick up some H1N1.

It's free. So we have that going for us.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:18 pm

slowshooter wrote:I want to go there in a big crowded room and pick up some H1N1.

It's free. So we have that going for us.

Hahahaha
Exactly!!!
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby ricemanff » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:07 pm

I went to the show. It wasn't too bad. I just like to see what the latest and greatest is. I did get to meet Jim Ronquist from RNT so that was pretty cool. I didn't get to meet him the last time I was out there hunting in Arkansas. He is a nice guy even offered to tune the calls up, too bad I had left them at the clubhouse. I did pick up a JJ Lares speck call, easy to blow. So for all of you nay sayers, your loss, you can get sick anywhere. I have been around a lot worse than the H1N1, thats why I duck hunt, to build up my immune system. Just my 2 cents. Also if you have kids, take them the youth center is awesome. My kids loved it last year. They got to shoot a bow, bb guns, catch a fish, get a fishing passport, and they had a bunch of raptors that were used for falconry and going thru rehab. For all of you that are duck hunting tomorrow, Good Luck the season is almost over.
"Ducks on The Water" The movie will be out one of these days
R.L.T. 3/23/81-6/27/04 Best duck hunting partner/brother ever

www.woodbutchercalls.com
ricemanff
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:11 pm

Basin calls will be there. Check out there speck call
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Glenn Underwood » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:57 pm

I bought a box call from this guy at the show last year. He makes really nice turkey calls.

http://www.bbcustomboxcalls.com/
Glenn Underwood
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting