Stone Lakes Refuge

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, duckman2000

Stone Lakes Refuge

Postby duckhunter209 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Any suggestions on best spots to hunt at Stone Lakes refuge? Got drawn for next week.

Anyone hunt it this year?
duckhunter209
Newb

Re: Stone Lakes Refuge

Postby yellowdog53 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Where the ducks are :)
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:43 pm

Walk out the check station and look for the big pond with the X in it. Cant go wrong.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:45 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:Walk out the check station and look for the big pond with the X in it. Cant go wrong.

:lol: Usually the ponds with the diagonal lines going through them shoot the best
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:59 pm

wanapasaki wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:Walk out the check station and look for the big pond with the X in it. Cant go wrong.

:lol: Usually the ponds with the diagonal lines going through them shoot the best

So that is what the X looks like. I always walked around looking for it but could not find it so I would just shoot from the levees at all the swing birds.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:06 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
wanapasaki wrote:

So that is what the X looks like. I always walked around looking for it but could not find it so I would just shoot from the levees at all the swing birds.

LOL, I set up by the X by parking lot 16 at mendota and 3 kids setup 30 yards to the west of me and one 50 yards to the north of me butted up against the X. He had no calls, no deeks, no camo... Nothing... I was in a bind.. If anyone was at mendota wednesday and heard a guy yelling "wait till they get a little higher" that was me.. :yes:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:43 pm

wanapasaki wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
wanapasaki wrote:

LOL, I set up by the X by parking lot 16 at mendota and 3 kids setup 30 yards to the west of me and one 50 yards to the north of me butted up against the X. He had no calls, no deeks, no camo... Nothing... I was in a bind.. If anyone was at mendota wednesday and heard a guy yelling "wait till they get a little higher" that was me.. :yes:

THIS IS MY NIGHTMARE... THIS IS MY NIGHTMARE.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby yeltrk05 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:03 pm

i posted earlier but it didnt post. this is a great little refuge, 7 or 8 blinds spaced way a part from each other, former duck club years ago. I love this place, all blinds shoot , no free roam, mixed ducks and geese. Enjoy your day there.
yeltrk05
hunter

Postby takemnow » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:41 pm

I drew there a couple of years ago, wasn't impressed. Didn't have too many opportunities Even though it doesn't cost anything to put in, I haven't applied. I'd rather loto at a NVR. YMMV.
takemnow
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting