idiots

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

idiots

Postby spoonysmaker » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:21 am

I was in line this morning waiting to pre register at sac and I overheard a guy behind me talking about hunting somewhere around butte creek. Guy starts talking about how the geese were getting up from behind them and flying over the top. Apparently he had told a buddy it was his job to call the shots. First wave goes over and guy doesn't call it. Said he asked his buddy why he didn't. Thought they were to far away he said. Dude answered..... "I got 3.5" hypersonic black cloud bbbs, I coulda smoked those" :no: then proceeds to brag alt the next group that came over and they unloaded... not doing anything but puffing feathers everywhere. People are idiots and no wonder there's so many sky busters. They are recruiting more and more every day. They are by far the downfall of refuge hunting and part of the reason for the season being so crappy for most.... they are educating the hell out of all the birds. If this is you please stop. You don't have to admit it but just do us all a favor and stop being an a$$hole. Thanks. :beer:
User avatar
spoonysmaker
hunter
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:19 pm
Location: livermore, ca


Re: idiots

Postby friedcoot » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:32 am

Smart call is to always let the first flights thru. As more flights pass, the followers will be lower if no one shoots and your well concealed. Problem is, most guys can't be patient and try those first marginal shots. If your lucky enough to bring one down, chances are you just broke a wing and your going to spend a lot of time hunting that bird down.
User avatar
friedcoot
hunter
 
Posts: 1627
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 am
Location: Behind a laptop

Re: idiots

Postby hntndux » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:26 am

Same Story..New Breed of Idiots..I remember hunting Sutter back in the 70's&80's, getting a good draw up on the North end and watching the Idiots at the firing line..Glad we cant use 10 gauge's
hntndux
hunter
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Northern, ca.

Re: idiots

Postby yellowdog53 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:22 pm

It's refuge hunting this time of the year same thing every year..Why complain on a forum where people who do that kind of stuff don't exist it is a waste of time and your effort...
yellowdog53
hunter
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 8:47 am

Re: idiots

Postby nut4duck » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:40 pm

spoonysmaker wrote:I was in line this morning waiting to pre register at sac and I overheard a guy behind me talking about hunting somewhere around butte creek. Guy starts talking about how the geese were getting up from behind them and flying over the top. Apparently he had told a buddy it was his job to call the shots. First wave goes over and guy doesn't call it. Said he asked his buddy why he didn't. Thought they were to far away he said. Dude answered..... "I got 3.5" hypersonic black cloud bbbs, I coulda smoked those" :no: then proceeds to brag alt the next group that came over and they unloaded... not doing anything but puffing feathers everywhere. People are idiots and no wonder there's so many sky busters. They are recruiting more and more every day. They are by far the downfall of refuge hunting and part of the reason for the season being so crappy for most.... they are educating the hell out of all the birds. If this is you please stop. You don't have to admit it but just do us all a favor and stop being an a$$hole. Thanks. :beer:


Did you pull him off to the side and explain things in person... :hammer: :hammer: Or just come on here and rant in hopes he or others will take note.. :huh:
nut4duck
hunter
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:40 pm
Location: central valley swamps

Re: idiots

Postby spoonysmaker » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:45 pm

nut4duck wrote:
spoonysmaker wrote:I was in line this morning waiting to pre register at sac and I overheard a guy behind me talking about hunting somewhere around butte creek. Guy starts talking about how the geese were getting up from behind them and flying over the top. Apparently he had told a buddy it was his job to call the shots. First wave goes over and guy doesn't call it. Said he asked his buddy why he didn't. Thought they were to far away he said. Dude answered..... "I got 3.5" hypersonic black cloud bbbs, I coulda smoked those" :no: then proceeds to brag alt the next group that came over and they unloaded... not doing anything but puffing feathers everywhere. People are idiots and no wonder there's so many sky busters. They are recruiting more and more every day. They are by far the downfall of refuge hunting and part of the reason for the season being so crappy for most.... they are educating the hell out of all the birds. If this is you please stop. You don't have to admit it but just do us all a favor and stop being an a$$hole. Thanks. :beer:


Did you pull him off to the side and explain things in person... :hammer: :hammer: Or just come on here and rant in hopes he or others will take note.. :huh:


I openly expressed my feelings about the situation rite there in front of him. He proceeded to talk as if he didn't hear me. Sad thing was he was an older gentleman. I guess sky busting isn't just a young eager person thing.

On a side note. People should take notice to what the sleek closure does to the birds. 3 weeks of not getting shot at and all you have to do is cluck a few times and you can get birds to break off and work. The same thing would happen with ducks and snow geese if they weren't blasted at at 100 yards. I'm over it already. Ready for the spring time.
User avatar
spoonysmaker
hunter
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:19 pm
Location: livermore, ca

Re: idiots

Postby Huck » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:41 pm

It is called the tragedy of the commons. If they screw everyone in the refuge but get one bird it is better from their prospective than waiting a little for the birds to work so everyone can get more birds.
User avatar
Huck
hunter
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:41 pm

Re: idiots

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:06 am

It's not just at the refuges. The club I shoot has been really bad this year. I think its because so many guys are frustrated with the amazingly low number of birds we're seeing, but it only takes one guy to poison the well. Birds are regularly skirting wide on his spread so he scrapes at a couple, the guy next to him gets pissed and starts shooting higher, the guy next to him does the same thing.
User avatar
clampdaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 3687
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Where spoonies go to die

Re: idiots

Postby Calikev » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:23 pm

"Just shoot a little higher" is the slogan these days for the equipment lusting inexperienced waterfowlers. They can't get it done with the basic stuff they need to hunt so they think buying the biggest, baddest equipment will provide them increased success. When it comes to shooting they go for the biggest gun, biggest shells and fastest loads that will spank the birds at long distances. Dial long distance..........yep..........that will make up for their ineptitude as hunters.

Pathetic....... :sad:
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:14 pm
Location: Oakdale

Re: idiots

Postby yellowlabhunter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:15 pm

2 3/4" 12 gauge is it for me. Never wanted or needed more. I like to be patient and see how close they are willing to close. It happens at the club adjacent to mine. Sky busters at them Specks.....hell they even shot at Specks last Fri. and it was closed in our area. Idiots are all over.... no shortage of them. All I can say is do what you can and keep your ethics in tune. It won't change much men. Be well.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Re: idiots

Postby nut4duck » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:45 pm

Calikev wrote:"Just shoot a little higher" is the slogan these days for the equipment lusting inexperienced waterfowlers. They can't get it done with the basic stuff they need to hunt so they think buying the biggest, baddest equipment will provide them increased success. When it comes to shooting they go for the biggest gun, biggest shells and fastest loads that will spank the birds at long distances. Dial long distance..........yep..........that will make up for their ineptitude as hunters.

Pathetic....... :sad:


I can handle a guy taking a poke at a high one once in a while BUT going to the plug everytime or worst yet 3 guys going 9 rounds when they are already 80 yards and climbing when the first round goes off :no: :mad:
nut4duck
hunter
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:40 pm
Location: central valley swamps

Re: idiots

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:50 pm

spoonysmaker wrote:I was in line this morning waiting to pre register at sac and I overheard a guy behind me talking about hunting somewhere around butte creek. Guy starts talking about how the geese were getting up from behind them and flying over the top. Apparently he had told a buddy it was his job to call the shots. First wave goes over and guy doesn't call it. Said he asked his buddy why he didn't. Thought they were to far away he said. Dude answered..... "I got 3.5" hypersonic black cloud bbbs, I coulda smoked those" :no: then proceeds to brag alt the next group that came over and they unloaded... not doing anything but puffing feathers everywhere. People are idiots and no wonder there's so many sky busters. They are recruiting more and more every day. They are by far the downfall of refuge hunting and part of the reason for the season being so crappy for most.... they are educating the hell out of all the birds. If this is you please stop. You don't have to admit it but just do us all a favor and stop being an a$$hole. Thanks. :beer:

I don't see why people think everyone can do this. I can consistently knock down geese at 60-85 yards, but not everyone should try this. Plus blackclouds are the wrong round for that, they don't have the right ballistics at that range. Blindsides seem to be pretty good though because of the diamond cut wads. Plus most of the people who try this don't have the proper barrel or choke.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: idiots

Postby Duck_Stank » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:56 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
spoonysmaker wrote:I was in line this morning waiting to pre register at sac and I overheard a guy behind me talking about hunting somewhere around butte creek. Guy starts talking about how the geese were getting up from behind them and flying over the top. Apparently he had told a buddy it was his job to call the shots. First wave goes over and guy doesn't call it. Said he asked his buddy why he didn't. Thought they were to far away he said. Dude answered..... "I got 3.5" hypersonic black cloud bbbs, I coulda smoked those" :no: then proceeds to brag alt the next group that came over and they unloaded... not doing anything but puffing feathers everywhere. People are idiots and no wonder there's so many sky busters. They are recruiting more and more every day. They are by far the downfall of refuge hunting and part of the reason for the season being so crappy for most.... they are educating the hell out of all the birds. If this is you please stop. You don't have to admit it but just do us all a favor and stop being an a$$hole. Thanks. :beer:

I don't see why people think everyone can do this. I can consistently knock down geese at 60-85 yards, but not everyone should try this. Plus blackclouds are the wrong round for that, they don't have the right ballistics at that range. Blindsides seem to be pretty good though because of the diamond cut wads. Plus most of the people who try this don't have the proper barrel or choke.

Knock down or cleanly kill? There's a big difference.
Master of Reality
User avatar
Duck_Stank
hunter
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:35 am
Location: Greenville, Pennsylvania

Re: idiots

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:59 pm

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
User avatar
clampdaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 3687
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Where spoonies go to die

Re: idiots

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:00 am

Duck_Stank wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
spoonysmaker wrote:I was in line this morning waiting to pre register at sac and I overheard a guy behind me talking about hunting somewhere around butte creek. Guy starts talking about how the geese were getting up from behind them and flying over the top. Apparently he had told a buddy it was his job to call the shots. First wave goes over and guy doesn't call it. Said he asked his buddy why he didn't. Thought they were to far away he said. Dude answered..... "I got 3.5" hypersonic black cloud bbbs, I coulda smoked those" :no: then proceeds to brag alt the next group that came over and they unloaded... not doing anything but puffing feathers everywhere. People are idiots and no wonder there's so many sky busters. They are recruiting more and more every day. They are by far the downfall of refuge hunting and part of the reason for the season being so crappy for most.... they are educating the hell out of all the birds. If this is you please stop. You don't have to admit it but just do us all a favor and stop being an a$$hole. Thanks. :beer:

I don't see why people think everyone can do this. I can consistently knock down geese at 60-85 yards, but not everyone should try this. Plus blackclouds are the wrong round for that, they don't have the right ballistics at that range. Blindsides seem to be pretty good though because of the diamond cut wads. Plus most of the people who try this don't have the proper barrel or choke.

Knock down or cleanly kill? There's a big difference.

As long as I make the effort to retrieve them I don't see the big difference.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: idiots

Postby Duck_Stank » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:08 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Duck_Stank wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
spoonysmaker wrote:I was in line this morning waiting to pre register at sac and I overheard a guy behind me talking about hunting somewhere around butte creek. Guy starts talking about how the geese were getting up from behind them and flying over the top. Apparently he had told a buddy it was his job to call the shots. First wave goes over and guy doesn't call it. Said he asked his buddy why he didn't. Thought they were to far away he said. Dude answered..... "I got 3.5" hypersonic black cloud bbbs, I coulda smoked those" :no: then proceeds to brag alt the next group that came over and they unloaded... not doing anything but puffing feathers everywhere. People are idiots and no wonder there's so many sky busters. They are recruiting more and more every day. They are by far the downfall of refuge hunting and part of the reason for the season being so crappy for most.... they are educating the hell out of all the birds. If this is you please stop. You don't have to admit it but just do us all a favor and stop being an a$$hole. Thanks. :beer:

I don't see why people think everyone can do this. I can consistently knock down geese at 60-85 yards, but not everyone should try this. Plus blackclouds are the wrong round for that, they don't have the right ballistics at that range. Blindsides seem to be pretty good though because of the diamond cut wads. Plus most of the people who try this don't have the proper barrel or choke.

Knock down or cleanly kill? There's a big difference.

As long as I make the effort to retrieve them I don't see the big difference.

Why shoot if you lose them? It's happened to my by accident, but I certainly don't pass shoot much anymore. View it like jump shooting now, just prefer not to do it. I won't shoot over forty, forty five yards now. That's even too far I think at times. Why not HUNT them rather than being a killer?
Master of Reality
User avatar
Duck_Stank
hunter
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:35 am
Location: Greenville, Pennsylvania

Re: idiots

Postby Duck_Stank » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:11 am

You may get one. But you're scaring the living chit outta the rest and taking them to school. Just my experience as I've grown as a hunter.
Master of Reality
User avatar
Duck_Stank
hunter
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:35 am
Location: Greenville, Pennsylvania

Re: idiots

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:14 am

Duck_Stank wrote:Why shoot if you lose them? It's happened to my by accident, but I certainly don't pass shoot much anymore. View it like jump shooting now, just prefer not to do it. I won't shoot over forty, forty five yards now. That's even too far I think at times. Why not HUNT them rather than being a killer?

Because I go out there and freeze my ass off to put birds on the strap. I am not going to sit there and let geese fly past me all day when I know damn well I can blast some of them out of the sky, and put meat in the pot.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: idiots

Postby Duck_Stank » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:16 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Duck_Stank wrote:Why shoot if you lose them? It's happened to my by accident, but I certainly don't pass shoot much anymore. View it like jump shooting now, just prefer not to do it. I won't shoot over forty, forty five yards now. That's even too far I think at times. Why not HUNT them rather than being a killer?

Because I go out there and freeze my ass off to put birds on the strap. I am not going to sit there and let geese fly past me all day when I know damn well I can blast some of them out of the sky, and put meat in the pot.

Just reassuring you it's more fun and rewarding to decoy them and shoot one at ten yards. 60-85 yards??? Have fun being that guy. To each their own.
Master of Reality
User avatar
Duck_Stank
hunter
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:35 am
Location: Greenville, Pennsylvania

Re: idiots

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:21 am

Duck_Stank wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Duck_Stank wrote:Why shoot if you lose them? It's happened to my by accident, but I certainly don't pass shoot much anymore. View it like jump shooting now, just prefer not to do it. I won't shoot over forty, forty five yards now. That's even too far I think at times. Why not HUNT them rather than being a killer?

Because I go out there and freeze my ass off to put birds on the strap. I am not going to sit there and let geese fly past me all day when I know damn well I can blast some of them out of the sky, and put meat in the pot.

Just reassuring you it's more fun and rewarding to decoy them and shoot one at ten yards. 60-85 yards??? Have fun being that guy. To each their own.
I've decoyed and shot ducks and geese at 10 yards, but I enjoy eating them and everyone I've shot that close it ruined the meat. I try to keep my shots past 20.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: idiots

Postby yellowdog53 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:20 am

I am entitled to shoot my gun so I will that is the motto of the new hunter... They dont put any effort into anything just use the net and aquire information because so many ethical guys are just willing to hand out the X and all the other information instead of allowing them to put in the time and effort thus APPRECIATING learning the ropes of the system and the X spots throughout the refuges. Myabe that is why these threads always go to hell because those who actually put in the time and effort to learn how to do things correctly take exception to those who are "entitled"

Instead they are entitled to information and to shoot higher and higher and so what if I shoot 10 birds to get my limiit who cares I am entitled...

Not sure where most of you have been but for the past amount of years this time of the year it is always the same thing over and over and over again with SHOOTERS showing up and blasting at everything... It hasn't chnaged in years and it is not about to either...

Creating threads about idiots is useless as the idiots are not on here and nor would they care if they were your just preaching to the choir because I have not seen one unethical hunter on DHC to date and threads like these just spin off into exactly what this one has yet another useless bitch session.

Don't expect the next 2 weeks to be any better and then you only have 9 more months to get ready to watch it happen again and again..
yellowdog53
hunter
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 8:47 am

Re: idiots

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:54 am

yellowdog53 wrote: .......Creating threads about idiots is useless as the idiots are not on here......


Oh come on. There's gotta be at least one. :lol3:
User avatar
clampdaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 3687
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Where spoonies go to die

Re: idiots

Postby yellowdog53 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:54 pm

CMON CLAMP have you not read all the ethical posts and threads on here CMON MAN >>>:)
yellowdog53
hunter
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 8:47 am

Re: idiots

Postby calikid » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:37 pm

Lol.at yolo today a guy goes up to the check station when they call lotto 21.he gets up there and 21 is his lotto entry,he drew #4.CS guy goes to let him on anyway,he has no type a pass.CS guy tells him he has to have one and he(hunter) says well on Saturday they let me on without having one.


Playing dumb or could he have got on without one?
calikid
hunter
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:20 pm
Location: Sacramento,CA

Re: idiots

Postby High Sierras » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:16 pm

I had probably the best hunt of the year this morning at an undisclosed NVR. The 'neighbors' about 150 or so yards to my north north-east were blasting at ducks at least 50 plus yards up, and not just an occasional poke... all three shells (x2 guys) as fast as ducks passed overhead. I had crawled & shoved myself into the middle of a dense tule jungle next to a pothole maybe 20 yards across with less than 2 doz dekes. After years of trying, I finally went 7 for 7 (as in 7 ducks for 7 shots!) this morning in less than 2 hours. While I was picking up my dekes, the guys to the north of me looked like they had sent their kids (or maybe they were just really short hunters???) humping it down the levee, then coming back from the parking lot - probably with another box of shells each.

I'm not sure if I was just 'on it' today, or if the little storm we had blow through last Sat brought uneducated birds in with it, but all 7 of my birds were shot at less than 25 yards (and three within 10 yards) with feet down and they sure wanted into my little sanctuary badly. One of the ones I got today had just been shot at by the other group a few seconds before, and instead of climbing for the stars like they usually do, this one stopped climbing and commited as soon as he saw my little oasis in the jungle. I dropped him at 5' off the water, he never knew what hit him.


What a phenominal morning!
High Sierras
hunter
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:34 pm
Location: above the snow line most of the year

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arp21, d_money, norcalweaz and 34 guests