idiots

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Re: idiots

Postby SnG » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:06 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:I don't see why people think everyone can do this. I can consistently knock down geese at 60-85 yards, but not everyone should try this. Plus blackclouds are the wrong round for that, they don't have the right ballistics at that range. Blindsides seem to be pretty good though because of the diamond cut wads. Plus most of the people who try this don't have the proper barrel or choke.

ducks~n~bucks wrote: I've decoyed and shot ducks and geese at 10 yards, but I enjoy eating them and everyone I've shot that close it ruined the meat. I try to keep my shots past 20.

FYI wrong load and choke if you are making duck burger at 10 yards. Try using a improved choke and 2-3/4"#4 instead of extrafull pattern master and 3-1/2" BBB.

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Duck_Stank wrote:Why shoot if you lose them? It's happened to my by accident, but I certainly don't pass shoot much anymore. View it like jump shooting now, just prefer not to do it. I won't shoot over forty, forty five yards now. That's even too far I think at times. Why not HUNT them rather than being a killer?

Because I go out there and freeze my ass off to put birds on the strap. I am not going to sit there and let geese fly past me all day when I know damn well I can blast some of them out of the sky, and put meat in the pot.

Since you are obviously hunting for food rather than recreation like most of us here I personally will give you most of the birds off my strap if you will stay at home. I'll deliver them to your door, I drive through Lake County all the time, I'll even pick and clean them for you. No freezing your ass off, just a nice big strap. If you want to show them off in the parking lot we can meet at some undisclosed location and you can hang them off your mirror if you want. This is win-win I get to hunt with one less skyscraper around and you get the big show. I'll bet there are others here that would make similar offers.

clampdaddy wrote:
yellowdog53 wrote: .......Creating threads about idiots is useless as the idiots are not on here......

Oh come on. There's gotta be at least one. :lol3:

I think we found him.
SnG
hunter

Postby PaulyQuackers » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:22 pm

There's no doubt that pass shooting can be more fun than shooting waterfowl fluttering right in front of you, when it's done correctly. The satisfaction you get when you knock a bird down at 60 or 70 yards is unforgettable, because the odd are so much greater. Don't get me wrong, I don't prefer to hunt this way, because of the cost of shells, I don't like being shell shocked, and I can't stand fighting with people tooth and nail to be the first in line. Other than the obvious; (guns, chokes, and ammo) which are designed for the sole purpose of knocking down birds way beyond the normal range, if you want to have any success in free roam areas, you have to line up at the firing line, so you can be the first to shot at anything that leaves the closed zone, even if it's a little bit too high. It's really no mystery where you can get ducks at any waterfowl refuge...

Overall, I've seen way more poor shooters cripple ducks than good pass shooters, but the problem I have is with everyone crowding the firing line to pass shoot at high ducks, to the point where it's impossible to get ducks anywhere in the surrounding areas. It doesn't take a genius to figure out where the ducks are being taken, so I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of how badly you want to get one. In reality, crowding the line has left no other options but to get a bigger gun, spend a small fortune on ammo, wait one or two days in line, fight with people to claim a spot, all for the opportunity to have the first shot at anything that flies. I'm not sure why people feel they need to compete with each other on private land, though.
PaulyQuackers
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:57 pm

Who the hell shoots ducks at 60 -70 yards and thinks thats fun?? Really people who do that are just plain dumb... Very seldom do you ever find a duck shot at that range and more cripples fly off to die a horrible slow death because you wanna shoot like an ace...

CMON MAN
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:12 pm

yellowdog53 wrote:Who the hell shoots ducks at 60 -70 yards and thinks thats fun?? Really people who do that are just plain dumb... Very seldom do you ever find a duck shot at that range and more cripples fly off to die a horrible slow death because you wanna shoot like an ace...

CMON MAN

Completely agree, once you do it right all else seems less appealing. At least to me. I'm not mister ethics, but I won't shoot over forty five yards...that's even a poke
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:12 pm

Knocking them down and clean kills is a rather large difference.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:47 pm

SnG wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:I don't see why people think everyone can do this. I can consistently knock down geese at 60-85 yards, but not everyone should try this. Plus blackclouds are the wrong round for that, they don't have the right ballistics at that range. Blindsides seem to be pretty good though because of the diamond cut wads. Plus most of the people who try this don't have the proper barrel or choke.

ducks~n~bucks wrote: I've decoyed and shot ducks and geese at 10 yards, but I enjoy eating them and everyone I've shot that close it ruined the meat. I try to keep my shots past 20.

FYI wrong load and choke if you are making duck burger at 10 yards. Try using a improved choke and 2-3/4"#4 instead of extrafull pattern master and 3-1/2" BBB.

ducks~n~bucks wrote:
Duck_Stank wrote:Why shoot if you lose them? It's happened to my by accident, but I certainly don't pass shoot much anymore. View it like jump shooting now, just prefer not to do it. I won't shoot over forty, forty five yards now. That's even too far I think at times. Why not HUNT them rather than being a killer?

Because I go out there and freeze my ass off to put birds on the strap. I am not going to sit there and let geese fly past me all day when I know damn well I can blast some of them out of the sky, and put meat in the pot.

Since you are obviously hunting for food rather than recreation like most of us here I personally will give you most of the birds off my strap if you will stay at home. I'll deliver them to your door, I drive through Lake County all the time, I'll even pick and clean them for you. No freezing your ass off, just a nice big strap. If you want to show them off in the parking lot we can meet at some undisclosed location and you can hang them off your mirror if you want. This is win-win I get to hunt with one less skyscraper around and you get the big show. I'll bet there are others here that would make similar offers.

clampdaddy wrote:
yellowdog53 wrote: .......Creating threads about idiots is useless as the idiots are not on here......

I think we found him.

Burn!!!!! :hammer:
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:58 pm

SnG wrote:

ducks~n~bucks wrote:

clampdaddy wrote:

I think we found him.

I am not hunting for food, I just know I will kill more birds if I shoot them when I have the opportunity.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby yellowdog53 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:59 pm

I shoot all mine in the head.... :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead:
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:14 pm

yellowdog53 wrote:I shoot all mine in the head.... :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :fingerhead:

Well I shoot all mine in the eye form 65 yards. :thumbsup:
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Sgt

Thats frikn funny man but you are a professional though I am just an novice :) :welcome:
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:35 pm

yellowdog53 wrote:Sgt

Thats frikn funny man but you are a professional though I am just an novice :) :welcome:

Keep practicing.

I believe you can get free lessons at your local Refuges firing line of grand central station as some like to call them.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:41 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:I am not hunting for food, I just know I will kill more birds if I shoot them when I have the opportunity.

Anyone will kill more birds if they shoot at every duck that flies by, but you'd also have to not give a crap about anyone else hunting in the area.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:46 pm

I can't keep this up any longer. I started saying that dumbass crap hoping the "awesome" hunters of the California forum would show up and pipe in, but they did not. I honestly don't take very many shots past 35ish yards. I don't hunt with BBB 3 1/2" with an extra full choke. I shoot 3" #3's with a modified choke. I'll pass shoot, but only if it comes over 30-35 yards high. I'm surprised some of y'all didn't catch on quicker.
ps. I also like taking shots past 15 yards just because the birds are easier to hit because of the bigger pattern. That being said, I'll still shoot a duck if i's feet down, coming straight in at 10 yards.
Last edited by ducks~n~bucks on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby Duck_Stank » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:48 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:I can't keep this up any longer. I started saying that dumbass crap hoping the "awesome" hunters of the California forum would show up and pipe in, but they did not. I honestly don't take very many shots past 35ish yards. I don't hunt with BBB 3 1/2" with an extra full choke. I shoot 3" #3's with a modified choke. I'll pass shoot, but only if it comes over 30-35 yards high. I'm surprised some of y'all didn't catch on quicker.

Hahahahah hook line and sinker. I fell for it. Good troll attempt, you succeed with me ha so it was a success. Good to read you do it right man.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Noobhunter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:16 pm

Im a new hunter this is my second year and do it with my 12 yr old daughter. I am a total addict, I'll admit being new I sky busted a bunch of times and felt bad afterward. This year I shared my Refuge ressis a couple times with complete strangers. it was a great experience I learned alot and plan on doing it more and recommend it to others as well. Early November I shared my little dry creek ressi with a guy named Matt. A few ponds over these guys were knocking specs out of the sky at 70+ yards. I was totally impressed and said I was going to get a tighter choke and some of that expensive Ammo. The hunter told me that wasn't hunting. Ive took that to heart.
Noobhunter
hunter

Re: idiotsjhfjhgy

Postby PaulyQuackers » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:59 pm

yellowdog53 wrote:Who the hell shoots ducks at 60 -70 yards and thinks thats fun?? Really people who do that are just plain dumb... Very seldom do you ever find a duck shot at that range and more cripples fly off to die a horrible slow death because you wanna shoot like an ace...

CMON MAN

Noobhunter wrote:Im a new hunter this is my second year and do it with my 12 yr old daughter. I am a total addict, I'll admit being new I sky busted a bunch of times and felt bad afterward. This year I shared my Refuge ressis a couple times with complete strangers. it was a great experience I learned alot and plan on doing it more and recommend it to others as well. Early November I shared my little dry creek ressi with a guy named Matt. A few ponds over these guys were knocking specs out of the sky at 70+ yards. I was totally impressed and said I was going to get a tighter choke and some of that expensive Ammo. The hunter told me that wasn't hunting. Ive took that to heart.

yellowdog53,
believe it or not, people kill birds at this range consistently all the time now. It's not something you want to teach your kids, but after the first couple of days, the local birds will usually stop decoying all together. Spending all your time and money to watch someone else bag their limit in this manner, is just plain dumb. I've often contemplated why I would go through all this work just to watch everyone else shooting. You don't need a license or a gun to be a spectator.

If that wasn't hunting, than what was it?
PaulyQuackers
hunter

Re: idiotsjhfjhgy

Postby SnG » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:02 am

PaulyQuackers wrote:

CMON MAN

Noobhunter wrote:Im a new hunter this is my second year and do it with my 12 yr old daughter. I am a total addict, I'll admit being new I sky busted a bunch of times and felt bad afterward. This year I shared my Refuge ressis a couple times with complete strangers. it was a great experience I learned alot and plan on doing it more and recommend it to others as well. Early November I shared my little dry creek ressi with a guy named Matt. A few ponds over these guys were knocking specs out of the sky at 70+ yards. I was totally impressed and said I was going to get a tighter choke and some of that expensive Ammo. The hunter told me that wasn't hunting. Ive took that to heart.

yellowdog53,
believe it or not, people kill birds at this range consistently all the time now. It's not something you want to teach your kids, but after the first couple of days, the local birds will usually stop decoying all together. Spending all your time and money to watch someone else bag their limit in this manner, is just plain dumb. I've often contemplated why I would go through all this work just to watch everyone else shooting. You don't need a license or a gun to be a spectator.

If that wasn't hunting, than what was it?

It's called shooting and typically goes like this. "I went out and shot four boxes of shells to bag my limit of high flying birds. Oh by the way I criped 3 for every one I dropped and I couldn't find 4 others so I kept shooting until I had my limit because, G*d D*mn it, I have a licenses and gun and I came her to shoot my limit. I'll be d*mned if I'm going to just sit here and watch these a$$holes shoot my birds." Ever wonder why the birds stop working and start flying high in the first place? :fingerhead:

Hunting would sound something like this. "Decoys set and ready to hunt. At first light I see a small flight of birds. I give them a quick hail call, they respond and start making their way towards me. Head down as the make that first pass at 60 yards, I watch out of the corner of my eye as they round and head out. Looks like they are going to loose interest, lonesome hen and a few feeding chuckles, that got their attention. Back around they come this time looking hard, they lock but then start flapping again, not quite convinced all is well. They pass over at 45 yards. I give them a few more chuckles and quacks. That's it, 2 split off and head out, but three are still interested and around they come again. 40 yards and closing but they get cold feet again, climb up and over, quack, and chuckle don't work this time, as they start moving out it's time for the comeback last ditch hail.... That's what hunting is. Did they come back, did I shoot my limit, did I shoot anything? Doesn't matter, that's what hunting is. It is also almost impossible with **** wads shooting everything that's within 100 yards.

Noob - Glad to here you took that to heart. Good luck and have fun out there with your daughter.
SnG
hunter

Postby Noobhunter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:44 pm

calikid wrote:Lol.at yolo today a guy goes up to the check station when they call lotto 21.he gets up there and 21 is his lotto entry,he drew #4.CS guy goes to let him on anyway,he has no type a pass.CS guy tells him he has to have one and he(hunter) says well on Saturday they let me on without having one.

Playing dumb or could he have got on without one?

At Grizzly last year I came away with my day pass, I didn't try to get on without it, either I forgot to give it to them or they forgot to take it.
Noobhunter
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:54 pm

PQuackers

I undertsand totally that YOU DON"T GET IT.... HUnting is hutning and shooting is shooting.. Funny thing I have never read a thread about a guy who hunted but I have seen hundreds of threads about guys skybusting at birds.

People don't consistenly shoot birds at 70 plus yards and retrieve their birds..The birds are cripped off and die a slow horrible death because you have to try to shoot them thathigh... People who do that just plain do not respect the bird and or the hunt. They are there for their own personal gain and nothing more...

Maybe one day the light will come on as in many cases it usually takes guys awhile to get over the "I am entitled" mentality but some do and some never do....

Hunting and shooting are two different things and I have said it numerous times... Anyone can shoot a gun not everyone can hunt...

Ever figure out why you shoot 2 boxes of shells for 4 birds while other guys shoot 6 or 7 birds in 20 shells?? Don't hurt yourself thinking about it just think...
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby frankrizzo56 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:28 am

Hunted the other day had a mallard come in feet down shot him at 20 yards max. 30 mins later a Gadwall landed 45 yards away. And started swimming away, stepped out of the tules took a shot wounded the bird then had a misfire and dropped the bird with a third shot at over 60 yards. Proceeded to hunt the rest of the day shooting 3 of my next birds decoying within 30yards. At LST had a lone mallards (I knew wouldn't decoy) fly by over 50 yards and dropped it dead. (I shot 10 shells)
Needless to say we all hunt and we all want to show off a bunch of birds.

All hunters think that to be a good hunter you have to come out with birds otherwise you carry no weight into a hunting conversation.

Regardless of how you hunt. If your not getting yelled at or getting into fights in the field your doing alright so far.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
frankrizzo56
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:21 am

yellowdog53 wrote:PQuackers

I undertsand totally that YOU DON"T GET IT.... HUnting is hutning and shooting is shooting.. Funny thing I have never read a thread about a guy who hunted but I have seen hundreds of threads about guys skybusting at birds.

People don't consistenly shoot birds at 70 plus yards and retrieve their birds..The birds are cripped off and die a slow horrible death because you have to try to shoot them thathigh... People who do that just plain do not respect the bird and or the hunt. They are there for their own personal gain and nothing more...

Maybe one day the light will come on as in many cases it usually takes guys awhile to get over the "I am entitled" mentality but some do and some never do....

Hunting and shooting are two different things and I have said it numerous times... Anyone can shoot a gun not everyone can hunt...

Ever figure out why you shoot 2 boxes of shells for 4 birds while other guys shoot 6 or 7 birds in 20 shells?? Don't hurt yourself thinking about it just think...

Telling someone that they aren't hunters when they have all the gear and guns is like telling a blind guy that he doesn't see the forest for the trees. It just is something that they can't apply to themselves or put into context.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:14 am

At Kern last Saturday their was a group of 5 standing in a patch of tules with big open water in front. They had placed a dozen decoys out front. Any bird that flew within 100 yards they would unload all 5 guns at the bird or birds. Some were in that 40-60 yard range. Some were out to 100. They knocked alot of birds down. But with 5 guns I would count 6-8 shots for most birds. That's about $10.00 per bird. That's a expensive piece of jerky....LOL. I Definitely call that shooting.
quigby979
hunter

Postby calikid » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:39 am

Lol guy at yolo just went to start his car and his battery is dead
calikid
hunter

Postby berdnird » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:51 am

???

Really, LOL at somebody with a dead battery. I maybe could see GALB (Giggle A Little Bit), but LOL seems like a little much.

Another note, I'm not sure if you are still a kid, but drive long enough and this will probably happen to you more than once...LOL.
berdnird
hunter

Postby SnG » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:04 pm

calikid wrote:Lol guy at yolo just went to start his car and his battery is dead

Not sure how that is funny unless he was crowding in on you in the field, in which case it would be bad CARma.
SnG
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to California Duck Hunting