Delevan 1/25

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Delevan 1/25

Postby diverduckduster » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:29 pm

Super excited about # 18 ressie. My dad has only hunted the lodge. It will be cool for I'm to expierience a nice refuge. Looking for a bit of advice, don't want your spots or anything. What do you think? Any advice would be appreciated. Hope your having a good season :beer:
diverduckduster
hunter

Re: Delevan 1/25

Postby spoonysmaker » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:10 pm

diverduckduster wrote:Super excited about # 18 ressie. My dad has only hunted the lodge. It will be cool for I'm to expierience a nice refuge. Looking for a bit of advice, don't want your spots or anything. What do you think? Any advice would be appreciated. Hope your having a good season :beer:

Pick the best available blinds when your numbers called. :thumbsup:
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby Greenhead_Wrecker » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:18 pm

I agree. If there is any decent blinds left pick one of them. If not then free roam can kill more birds than a crappy blind in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greenhead_Wrecker
hunter

Postby ducksbucksandbulls » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:39 pm

Go to grand central, in FR
ducksbucksandbulls
hunter

Postby DUKHNER » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:15 pm

If it's just you and your dad. Maybe consider throwing out an invite. You know, my Ressi for your X in FR kind of thing. Not looking for an invite here. I personally don't know FR that well at Del. However, I have offered and accepted in the past. Great way to meet some good people, (most of the time.) And possibly create some future opportunities too. With a #18 draw and the weather we've been having, this would be my .02 cents. Good luck whatever you choose.
DUKHNER
hunter

Postby diverduckduster » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:48 pm

Yeah for sure, my brother might be going, he's not sure if he has to work or not. I will be putting an invite out for sure if he works. Thanks for the advice fellas it is greatly appreciated.
diverduckduster
hunter

Postby berniebiz » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:25 pm

With a #18 you can get at least an assigned pond. Look at the #'s on the window and you can get a general idea of where to hunt. Bring a grass mat if you have one since the cover is pretty beat down now. I have done well in FR and in the assigned ponds on the South. Dont know about the North portion since I have never hunted it.
berniebiz
hunter

Postby belmer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:21 pm

This year, there's been so few ducks flying, that I think much of the difference in blind results might just be due to shooting skill and being awake when that pair of ducks whizzes in every 30 minutes or so. People, will, of course grab the "best" blind they can with a rezzie, but results have been all over the place this year.
belmer
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:50 pm

belmer wrote:This year, there's been so few ducks flying, that I think much of the difference in blind results might just be due to shooting skill and being awake when that pair of ducks whizzes in every 30 minutes or so. People, will, of course grab the "best" blind they can with a rezzie, but results have been all over the place this year.

Several times this season we have refilled into good blinds that shot poorly in the morning, only to find plenty of ducks wanting to work in and killed 2 limits of good birds in a couple hours. Some people can't hit the broad side of a barn.
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby speczilla » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:01 pm

With a #18 you should be able to get a decent blind/assigned pond. I'd bet there will be 5-8 no shows in front of you. Go to the Sac complex website and they have the stats on how each blind has shot over the past three years. Look at the refuge map and where the blinds are located. Make an initial list of the top 15 blinds you want and take that with you.

At the check station before they call numbers do two things: 1.) pre-register with the check station staff 2.) look at how the blinds have shot this year and incorporate that into your list. As blinds are taken by guys in front of you mark them off of your list. When your number is called just take the highest blind on your list not already chosen. This helps you make a quick decision and helps everyone else because you will get checked in rapidly thereby allowing guys behind you time to check in, get out, and set up before LST.

There are lots of variables to consider when choosing a blind like location, habitat, weather, etc but I'll let you figure that out. Use this trip as an opportunity to learn the blinds/AP's around where you end up hunting. Hope you guys have a great shoot.
speczilla
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting