Delevan

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, duckman2000

Delevan

Postby Csook » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:17 am

I have hunted Delevan a handful of times and I have only hunted the free roam once many years ago. I drew for Saturday number 35 but it's not low enough for a blind and if there is a blind left it's just going to be the bottom of barrel. Everyone says to go grand central. I am a little unfamiliar with Delevans free roam. Any advice?
Csook
hunter

Re: Delevan

Postby sutterduckhunter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:06 am

I don't think anybody will give you free roam advice. Good luck though! There are plenty of birds at Delevan, if you pick a bad spot before sun-up, then move when you can see birds dumping into a good area.
sutterduckhunter
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:30 am

You could always go on blind waiting in the morning, and wait for one if the top ones to come in. Just an alternative option, I hate free roam issues of crowding so I go on blind waiting, usually works out better for me, but your mileage may vary. My 0.02c.
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby Csook » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:56 am

I am use to the crowding, I hunt Mendota a lot. I figure nobody would tell me where to go but it also doesn't hurt to ask. Other then knowing to go to grand central I really have no idea.
Csook
hunter

Postby msheldon8 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:12 pm

I went there for my first time yesterday with a buddy who had ressi number 28. We shot a blind and ended up with a good amount of birds. There are tons of sprig around. I'm from the valley as well and it's night and day up there compared to what I usually hunt. We did well even on a Sunday so I'm sure you'll shoot birds with that ressi. Like I said it was my first time there but pm me if you have any questions maybe I can be of some help.
msheldon8
hunter

Postby Calikev » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:24 pm

Csook wrote:I have hunted Delevan a handful of times and I have only hunted the free roam once many years ago. I drew for Saturday number 35 but it's not low enough for a blind and if there is a blind left it's just going to be the bottom of barrel. Everyone says to go grand central. I am a little unfamiliar with Delevans free roam. Any advice?

If you hunted free roam years ago then go back to where you hunted then. Pretty simple. A good starting point.

Otherwise hope a blind falls through or get on the waiting list for a refill of a good blind.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting