spring goose hunt guides

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

spring goose hunt guides

Postby ricemanff » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:34 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation on a guide service for a spring goose hunt? California or Oregon doesn't matter
"Ducks on The Water" The movie will be out one of these days
R.L.T. 3/23/81-6/27/04 Best duck hunting partner/brother ever

www.woodbutchercalls.com
ricemanff
hunter

Re: spring goose hunt guides

Postby AJCsurf » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:46 pm

At this point i would be looking for openings.... I know River Valley Outfitters has some days open...
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby hntndux » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:59 am

Remember when booking, we will be in a full moon cycle.. Hunting could be affected???
hntndux
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:12 am

I watched the guide that uses the dry fields next us, he had a group of 10 guys and they dummped 80 specks in about 2 hrs. It was a show to watch. He is obviously booked up. If there are still opening for a late gooses hunt now it's probably for a reason. Should have thought about this at the begging of the season.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby blugoose » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:51 pm

10 guys and 80 spks. Either they or you can't count worth beans. And full moon don't mean nothing if you are where they want to be. All about the X as they say on the internet. Don't if I would pay 2 days wages to maybe get a goose Time for turkey scouting.
blugoose
hunter

Postby blugoose » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:54 pm

P.S. Check into Wild Times Guide Service. In Oregon -Cali border
blugoose
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:12 pm

blugoose wrote:10 guys and 80 spks. Either they or you can't count worth beans. And full moon don't mean nothing if you are where they want to be. All about the X as they say on the internet. Don't if I would pay 2 days wages to maybe get a goose Time for turkey scouting.

That was there day totals. They brought a group out for the evening. It's seemed like watching them
Shoot 80. Auguas frias and richvale hwy. Drive by and you will see the big burnt X out there.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby JonD » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:01 pm

If you find a guide try to book your hunt in the first 2 days of the late season. From what I've seen the birds are so stupid the first 2 days that anybody with a field and a few hundred decoys can do pretty well. By the 3rd day the geese seem to figure out they're being hunted so that's when the huge decoy spread and access to multiple fields really helps. Usually we hunt one field for the first 2 days of the season and hunt different fields for the last 3 days, limits for up to 9 guys are pretty common for us during the late season.
JonD
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:48 pm

JonD wrote:If you find a guide try to book your hunt in the first 2 days of the late season. From what I've seen the birds are so stupid the first 2 days that anybody with a field and a few hundred decoys can do pretty well. By the 3rd day the geese seem to figure out they're being hunted so that's when the huge decoy spread and access to multiple fields really helps. Usually we hunt one field for the first 2 days of the season and hunt different fields for the last 3 days, limits for up to 9 guys are pretty common for us during the late season.

Field... Check

Few hundred snow and speck decoys... Check.

Please if we were ever to get some weather this year be it that weekend.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby ricemanff » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:52 pm

Thanks for the input. This is going to be a quick trip to get us ready for our hunt in March south of the border. I think we settled on Webfoot outfitters, Oregon. We will see how it goes. You learn something from every hunt, go or bad. Good luck out there only a few hunts days left
"Ducks on The Water" The movie will be out one of these days
R.L.T. 3/23/81-6/27/04 Best duck hunting partner/brother ever

www.woodbutchercalls.com
ricemanff
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:00 am

For those still looking:

Tell Greg that Duckfan sent ya. :-)

Greg Galli
River Valley Outfitters
530-592-9931 iPhone

He is running dry field spring hunts in NE California. The season runs Feb 7 thru March 10 (Whites Only). From March 5 thru March 10 you can kill Specs and Whites. He has 2 ranches near Ash Creek Wildlife Area. It is $250 per hunter. Lodging is in Beiber
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:21 pm

blugoose wrote:10 guys and 80 spks. Either they or you can't count worth beans. And full moon don't mean nothing if you are where they want to be. All about the X as they say on the internet. Don't if I would pay 2 days wages to maybe get a goose Time for turkey scouting.

A full moon can be very important for goose hunting. If you scare 30,000 geese out of the field when you go out to set up decoys at 4:00 am that means the geese may have been feeding out in the field for hours and they may not come back to that field during legal shooting hours.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby blugoose » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:39 pm

I heard that spread go off also at Aguas frias. They had a lot of guns going off for sure. Sounded like a chinese firedrill. Webfoot Outfitters a good choice also. They have some good property. Good Luck. And all hunting situations differ. We took geese over the weekend with lots of moon and I took geese last nite and this morning. You just never know what the little buggers are going to do. Just like guides, you just never know what they are going to do.
blugoose
hunter

Postby Frog Ponds » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:15 am

ricemanff wrote:Thanks for the input. This is going to be a quick trip to get us ready for our hunt in March south of the border. I think we settled on Webfoot outfitters, Oregon. We will see how it goes. You learn something from every hunt, go or bad. Good luck out there only a few hunts days left

Good luck. Did you ask John Woods why the name of his outfit was changed and why the license is now in his son's name?
Frog Ponds
hunter

Postby stew870 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:16 pm

webfoot
The grass is greener where you water it .
stew870
hunter

Postby rocketma1n » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:08 am

I am also thinking about going on a guided spring goose hunt for the first time. Anyone ever go with someone more local to Sacramento than the Oregon border?
rocketma1n
Newb

Postby Tag stew » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:37 pm

I emailed Greg at River valley outfitters and he seams like a stand up guy! Unfortunately he is only running hunts up near ash creek refuge, for the spring season which is like 33 days there,
so it didn't work for me , but he recommended someone else for me. Greg was great about emailing me back and super helpful. So anyone looking to do a spring hunt maybe try him, everyone I know who has hunted with him has had a blast.

Jaime
Tag stew
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting