? About Los banos

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

? About Los banos

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:59 am

In starring at the reg book right now and there are no specifics on Los banos? Did f&g mess up this year? Anyways how many people can you bring with you on a ressie? And has the shooting ever picked up or is it still pretty slow? Thanks for your help guys
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Re: ? About Los banos

Postby 3200 man » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:46 am

Last Sunday there was a lot of shooting at Los Banos but , it was at the trap range down the road ! Traveling down 165
we didn't see a single duck in the air or on the water , nowhere , and that was going through at 8:15 am and coming back
at 3 pm. So , it's your call if you want to go there !
3200 man
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:44 am

2 per card unless you are brining juniors.
All of the grasslands are still terrible.

Sadly Los Banos has been just as bad as San Luis this year... The few times I've gone out, I've stared at empty skies.
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:31 am

Thanks guys. That's what I suspected. Save the last hunt for something local. Appreciate your input
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:33 pm

You don't really believe those guys, do you? :lol3:

That's the second-oldest trick in the book.
If the guys hunting an area say it's terrible, you can bet it's white-hot.
It's the times they tell you it's good that you can be sure it sucks..... :thumbsup:

They may have been born at night, but they weren't born last night!
mudpack
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:01 pm

Now Mudpack , why would you say something like that ? We valley boys try to take care of fellas that come from over the hill ,
with up to date info on how we're doing ................................sometimes ! Just knowing how far of a drive it is , to only
look at the sky , is not what I would want to do ! :huh: :lol3: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:31 pm

695 ducks shot last week @ Los Banos. I'd say there are a fee ducks there...
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Oops that's just ducks and geese...
duckdoa
hunter

Postby PaulyQuackers » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:26 pm

duckdoa wrote:695 ducks shot last week @ Los Banos. I'd say there are a fee ducks there...

I'm guessing these birds were mostly taken right along the closed zone, but why do they post these numbers of waterfowl harvested, if you don't know specifically what area the ducks were taken at? How does this figure help anyone get ducks?
PaulyQuackers
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Weather conditions were right on ONE day. But that day is long gone and there looks like there won't be any repeats this year.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:09 pm

You can get blind by blind numbers at the check station. The report is a useful tool for both field DFG management and bird location numbers in the State. All refuges are required to keep tally of number of fowl taken. It is published as a service to us hunters but not required. There is value to this info, the report also tells you what the number 1 and 2 duck types are.
I personally like to scout it out, not expecting the internet to spoon feed me the areas to be more successful.
Good luck.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Oops that's just ducks and geese...
duckdoa
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:04 pm

duckdoa wrote:695 ducks shot last week @ Los Banos. I'd say there are a fee ducks there...

1.6 avg over those three days. :thumbsup:

I wonder how many groups went home with nothing but a sunrise/sunset....

695 birds is a lot but look at the effort into acquiring those birds.

On the low end:
Every hunter could have shot a bird and then 60% of the total hunters could have added one more bird to the bag totaling two birds.

On the high end:
99 people shoot limits and 334 people go home empty handed.

Other Bag size scenarios:
231 people could have shot three birds and 202 people would have went home with nothing.
173 people could have shot four birds and 260 people would have went home with nothing.
good luck out there, birds are everywhere! :beer:
Lets be honest, everyone is gonna go no matter what. This season has been terrible overall for lots of folks.
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby Calikev » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:24 pm

There isn't much distribution of guys killing birds right now. Averages are misleading because the best spots are being hunted for a lot of hours and guys are hanging on them to get their birds. Those are what is carrying the averages. It is very spot specific. Most of those spots are swallowed up by guys with good ressies who choose well or the locals who know the free roam and are on the spots all the time.

Does that mean anyone should throw in the towel and give up? No. Just go and hunt. Make your best informed decisions and hope for the best. However, be realistic. Most guys won't get enough opportunities to put a few birds in the bag right now. It is just working out that way. Others are getting enough and bringing up the averages on the refuges. I hardly think less than a 2.0 average on any shoot day in January is something to get pumped up about but it is what it is. One has to accept that this season is a poor season and take what he can get.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby #4Buckshot » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:36 pm

What Calikev said X's 2
#4Buckshot
hunter

Postby Green with ring » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:52 pm

What Calikev said x3.
Green with ring
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:14 pm

Dont listen to Kevin what does he know.......All areas are shooting like crazy ducks everywhere hell shoot them from the levees and roads no one cares,, Shoot high shoot far shoot big guns with 4 inch shells and shoot everyone you have and bring about 50 bullets with you in possession too.. Ducks are loaded all over the refuge the blinds and the free roam... Ducks ducks ducks for all I say ....

In case anyone has not noticed the season has been crappy and it is going to end crappy due to weather being very nice almost 70 plus degrees over the next two weeks along with poor hatches and no conditions for hunting ducks...It isn't going to get any better either next year at this rate so get yourself prepared...

Kevin where are you hunting these days I wanna :hi: :hi: :hi: hunt with you ;)
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:28 pm

I think I understand what yellowdog is saying in his sarcastic, cynical, facetious way. Yellowdog, could you go and give the Seahawks their pregame speech.....that would almost guarantee the 49ers a victory. I don't think I have read a positive response from you in any post.....but you are consistent.
quigby979
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:46 pm

Get out there and slay em... just remember that just because the averages are low does not mean these guys and gals didn't have opportunities.

Hell any day out hunting and getting skunked is better than most other things I can think about.
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:49 pm

wanapasaki

If you have a local spot...go for it.
If you want to try Banos....go for it.

We have only a few hunt days left. I knew the hunting in the grasslands where I hunt was less than stellar the past few weeks....yet, I went and have limited the last 4 days I went out.

Stay positive regardless where you go and good luck. We all have a long off season and with the water issues.....I certainly won’t pass up any opportunity.

Take care
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:05 pm

Quigby

Seriously it is a joke man relax it is all good.. Consistency is also good :)

Not sure if you have been out lately but all the yahoos are out on the levees and the shooters are out too...

Duckfan is right but he hunts a club and you can't compare the two for hunts as they are vastly different..

I say go go go

As far as the 49ers go CMON MAN...
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:19 pm

I have been to Mendota and was there Sunday. I have had my encounters with the sky busters, levee sitters and those that can really mess up the day. This year has been tough and as far as birds a poor season. We cannot control that. I have met some good people and enjoyed hunting with them. I apologize for giving you a bad time. We have 2 more weeks and all we can do is make the best of it. Next year we will have new hopes and expectations. If we don't get some water it will make it very interesting. I get to go hunt with wanasapaki at Kern Saturday and look forward to with or without ducks.
quigby979
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:37 pm

Don't worry quig we will get plenty of birds I'm confident
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby PaulyQuackers » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:11 pm

wanapasaki wrote:Don't worry quig we will get plenty of birds I'm confident

It must be that 4 bird average that's drawing you to Kern. It doesn't look like the blinds are doing all that well, though.
PaulyQuackers
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:15 pm

To get out hunting with Wanapasaki that's what it us all about. Its not about averages or getting limits. Its about getting out there and hunting. I have no doubt we will get our shots. But it will be a great day in the marsh either way.
quigby979
hunter

Postby Calikev » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:27 pm

yellowdog53 wrote:Dont listen to Kevin what does he know.......All areas are shooting like crazy ducks everywhere hell shoot them from the levees and roads no one cares,, Shoot high shoot far shoot big guns with 4 inch shells and shoot everyone you have and bring about 50 bullets with you in possession too.. Ducks are loaded all over the refuge the blinds and the free roam... Ducks ducks ducks for all I say ....

In case anyone has not noticed the season has been crappy and it is going to end crappy due to weather being very nice almost 70 plus degrees over the next two weeks along with poor hatches and no conditions for hunting ducks...It isn't going to get any better either next year at this rate so get yourself prepared...

Kevin where are you hunting these days I wanna :hi: :hi: :hi: hunt with you ;)

I don't want to hunt with you. You shot me in the arse buddy...............stupid sun... :eek:
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting