NEXT YEAR...IN THE RICE???

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

NEXT YEAR...IN THE RICE???

Postby hntndux » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Im hearing 50% cuts for farming water??? And probably NO De-comp water??? And perhaps NO rice water on the west side?? Could be interesting....
What say You??? :huh:
hntndux
hunter

Re: NEXT YEAR...IN THE RICE???

Postby svwaterfowl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:40 pm

I say....being realistic, that "good" hunting is over in the valley besides the select million dollar clubs
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” -Walter Cronkite
“When I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck.”-
James Whitcomb Riley
svwaterfowl
hunter

Postby svwaterfowl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:44 pm

Guys think about it seriously. All the weather that we did not get this year went straight up to canada and north. Canada pretty much froze hard in November. Washington and Oregon never shot well neither did Idaho or Nevada. ???? Raise any questions to you?
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” -Walter Cronkite
“When I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck.”-
James Whitcomb Riley
svwaterfowl
hunter

Postby Privileged hunter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:50 pm

But,but they said the long term ave. we're at record highs again
Privileged hunter
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:38 am

Uhhhh beg to differ on Oregon and Washington and Canada they all shot very very well..

NO RICE FOR YOU!!!!!
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby JonD » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:08 am

yellowdog53 wrote:Uhhhh beg to differ on Oregon and Washington and Canada they all shot very very well..

NO RICE FOR YOU!!!!!

Ya I don't know what these guys are talking about, all my friends in Washington had an amazing year.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
JonD
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:13 am

hntndux wrote:Im hearing 50% cuts for farming water??? And probably NO De-comp water??? And perhaps NO rice water on the west side?? Could be interesting....
What say You??? :huh:

That's pretty close to what I'm hearing. West side is going to be hit hard, and water districts are planning for worst case scenarios. Already know some farmers who were told they potentially won't have enough water to farm their fields this year. And there is real fear that those who have huge ag wells will pump and drop the water table even further.
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby hntndux » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:30 pm

JonD wrote:
yellowdog53 wrote:Uhhhh beg to differ on Oregon and Washington and Canada they all shot very very well..

NO RICE FOR YOU!!!!!

Ya I don't know what these guys are talking about, all my friends in Washington had an amazing year.

I have a friend who went to Eagle lakes 2nd week of Nov. After the first two days, 3men 8 ducks and 1 goose? Day 3 they took then to the triangle and got limits. Thats not great for 1500.00 in my book, but I have no other Wa info. Idaho wasnt great nor was Montana
hntndux
hunter

Postby JonD » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:58 pm

hntndux wrote:
JonD wrote:

NO RICE FOR YOU!!!!!

I have a friend who went to Eagle lakes 2nd week of Nov. After the first two days, 3men 8 ducks and 1 goose? Day 3 they took then to the triangle and got limits. Thats not great for 1500.00 in my book, but I have no other Wa info. Idaho wasnt great nor was Montana

Sorry to hear that, unfortunately I think your friends were a victim of bad timing. I have friends that live there and they had a phenomenal year. I was too busy with work to make it up there but they had no problem telling me what I was missing :mad:

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
JonD
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:40 am

Put in a deposit and then lose it when the farmer declares bankruptcy.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby yolodc » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:12 am

hntdux. I absolutely believe that, and have heard the same thing. CA is in the worst drought in history. Seriously. It will take people into July/Aug, however, to really comprehend that. Buckle up....
yolodc
hunter

Postby blugoose » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:58 am

What say you? Its true! If nothing happens ( rain and snow) west side will get 50% for crops east 75%. This came from the water meeting my farmer went to.As for decomp that will eebe determined at a later date for that will be inanother water year. Most contracts start Nov 1. If this happens it will not be good for us or the birds.The farmers that do plant should do well as the shortage will most likely bring the price up.If no decomp water for winter it might change things a bit. Still, you can't make the birds fly if they don't want to. They have gotten real good at coming in at nite. Bring back the half hour after so we can get a few birds in these lean years. $6,000 for 50 or 60 birds? We will still do it though. And all my Idaho people did well. Location etc..... Time for turkey.
blugoose
hunter

Postby ericwjennings » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:12 pm

blugoose wrote: ...$6,000 for 50 or 60 birds? We will still do it though. And all my Idaho people did well. Location etc..... Time for turkey...

$6k for 50 or 60 birds??? Ouch!!! I've killed about that many birds just at Gray Lodge this year. Although that meant putting up with a lot of the public land free roam hassles. I know a lot of buddies are not keeping their blinds for next year, getting burned on little or no water this year and being afraid that next year will obviously likely be worse.
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
ericwjennings
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:54 pm

i honestly fealt guilty walking to my blind last week when i went over the inlet and saw water flowing into our rice field. at some point my desire to shoot ducks has to take a back seat to the greater need. We are going to be hurting. I have a damn good blind that I am not going to put money toward next year knowing there is a good chance it will not be flooded. Oh well if the water comes great. but not a risk i am going to take.
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting