Loaded guns in cars

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Loaded guns in cars

Postby mendotakiller » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:44 pm

Ok so i was wondering what you guys think of this....I already know the answer but was wondering what others think of this. So would it be breaking the law If i was up deer hunting in the mountains out of the city limits and not in a no shoot zone if i had rounds in the magizine but not the chamber? Would that be considered breaking the law? Watcha guys think?
mendotakiller
hunter

Re: Loaded guns in cars

Postby Camocynergy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:58 pm

mendotakiller wrote:Ok so i was wondering what you guys think of this....I already know the answer but was wondering what others think of this. So would it be breaking the law If i was up deer hunting in the mountains out of the city limits and not in a no shoot zone if i had rounds in the magizine but not the chamber? Would that be considered breaking the law? Watcha guys think?

As far as I know, game wardens would view this as "legal" however, local PD or CHP would probably not.
Camocynergy
hunter

Postby Noobhunter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:09 pm

I think your guns always have to be unloaded in a car unless you have a CCW. seems like an unsafe thing to do regardless
Noobhunter
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:14 pm

Im taking a law enforcement class to become a warden and we had a discusion on this. Kind of blew my mind. Are professor is a retierd game warden. Anyway he said that it was legal as long as your in a no shoot zone or not in town of coarse.
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby Limitsx10 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:33 pm

That has always been my understanding too but did anything change with the new long gun laws that recently came into effect?

As a side note I did talk to a guy one time that got a ticket for a loaded gun when he laid his rifle in the back of the pick up after a long hike. The warden walked up, checked his gun and wrote him a ticket.
Limitsx10
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:53 pm

mendotakiller wrote:Im taking a law enforcement class to become a warden and we had a discusion on this. Kind of blew my mind. Are professor is a retierd game warden. Anyway he said that it was legal as long as your in a no shoot zone or not in town of coarse.

Really? I could definitely see you as a great warden. :lol3: and second of all take a grammar course. There's a difference between are and our.
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:55 pm

Good question, the answer is very simple.....what type of road your driving on? If it is a county or state maintained roadway, you are in violation of the the California penal code. Fire trails, BLM access, thats a super grey area and chances depend on the officer stopping you, coupled with what their district attorney beleives the law to be. Guns are considered to be loaded if the source ammunition is attached or easily accessible.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby eastbaybirdkiller » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:12 pm

X2 depends on the warden
eastbaybirdkiller
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:14 pm

lol spoon....we should become best friends.
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby High Sierras » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:52 pm

Camocynergy wrote:
mendotakiller wrote:Ok so i was wondering what you guys think of this....I already know the answer but was wondering what others think of this. So would it be breaking the law If i was up deer hunting in the mountains out of the city limits and not in a no shoot zone if i had rounds in the magizine but not the chamber? Would that be considered breaking the law? Watcha guys think?

As far as I know, game wardens would view this as "legal" however, local PD or CHP would probably not.
x2.

From my talking to Placer County Sherrifs, CHP officers, & the local F&G warden over the years up here. On a County maintained or State maintained road, bullets may not be attached to the gun in any way. On forest service roads, fire trails, logging roads, etc... no round in the chamber and you're good to go. The one warden I spoke to said if he was pulling someone over for something else on a county road, he would warn them to clear the weapon, but he would not cite. I'd guess if you were a pain in the neck, he might be inclined to call one of his Placer County sherrif buddies while he was running your info... probably pays to be a gentleman while interacting with them.
High Sierras
hunter

Postby fish dog » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:55 pm

Limitsx10 wrote:As a side note I did talk to a guy one time that got a ticket for a loaded gun when he laid his rifle in the back of the pick up after a long hike. The warden walked up, checked his gun and wrote him a ticket.

I've heard of people being cited for loaded in a vehicle for leaning their loaded shotgun up against the side of their pickup on laying it on the hood.
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
fish dog
hunter

Postby USNCPOquackaddict » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:20 pm

It's in the regs... if the road has a name or number starting with FS You can have rounds in the mag, None in the chamber. I've been checked while hunting deer. He just verified the chamber was empty & I was using non lead. After producing all valid liscences and tags the warden was a fountain of info. Seems like they catch more law breakers than law abbiders.
Just to be on the safe side if your not on a national forest road unload it and separate it from the ammo.
:beer:
Click, Bang, Splash, Repeat. Happy Happy.
USNCPOquackaddict
hunter

Postby Limitsx10 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:06 am

fish dog wrote:
Limitsx10 wrote:As a side note I did talk to a guy one time that got a ticket for a loaded gun when he laid his rifle in the back of the pick up after a long hike. The warden walked up, checked his gun and wrote him a ticket.

I've heard of people being cited for loaded in a vehicle for leaning their loaded shotgun up against the side of their pickup on laying it on the hood.

While that does seem extreme, leaning a loaded gun against your truck is a very dangerous practice. My buddy was hunting Gray Lodge about 20 years ago or so. He came back to his truck and the side was peppered, camper window broken, and drivers window broken. Some guy had leaned his loaded gun against his truck and it slid down and went off. Easily could have been a fatality. Lesson learned, gun unloaded and action open when I'm in the parking lot.
Limitsx10
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:29 pm

mendotakiller wrote:Im taking a law enforcement class to become a warden and we had a discusion on this. Kind of blew my mind. Are professor is a retierd game warden. Anyway he said that it was legal as long as your in a no shoot zone or not in town of coarse.

Hey, while you are at school you may want to hit up an english class or two.
Last edited by quack-attack on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:33 pm

most wardens will not cite for the shells in the magazine if you are going to and from hunting areas out in the hills. Problem arose a couple years ago when CHP and DFG had a joint effort check point. All the hunters were coming through with shells in magazine, DFG was fine with it but CHP started citing everyone. DFG wardens packed up and left the checkpoint because they did not want to be associated with it. It actually started a period of some bad blood between the two agencies in that county. That was awhile (years) ago.
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby Noobhunter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:39 pm

Limitsx10 wrote:
fish dog wrote:

While that does seem extreme, leaning a loaded gun against your truck is a very dangerous practice. My buddy was hunting Gray Lodge about 20 years ago or so. He came back to his truck and the side was peppered, camper window broken, and drivers window broken. Some guy had leaned his loaded gun against his truck and it slid down and went off. Easily could have been a fatality. Lesson learned, gun unloaded and action open when I'm in the parking lot.

My thoughts exactly Ive only been hunting for two years and have seen numerous guns slide off the car. I
Noobhunter
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:56 pm

Mendo

Keep it loaded man and point it out the window too LOL

Having a CCW I always have mine loaded and ready to go....
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Yea yea quack addict im on my small little ghetto phone so its kinda hard to get spelling and all that just perfect. But thanks for the tip. and yellowdog I think you have to be 21 to have that? Which im only 12 years old i guess so i still have a ways to go!! lol
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Quak

Thats hear say I say ..... :huh: :huh: :huh:
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby LeakyW8ers » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:44 pm

mendotakiller wrote:Yea yea quack addict im on my small little ghetto phone so its kinda hard to get spelling and all that just perfect. But thanks for the tip. and yellowdog I think you have to be 21 to have that? Which im only 12 years old i guess so i still have a ways to go!! lol

12 years old but taking law enforcement classes? :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Something is not passing the sniff test. Is your first name Doogie by chance?
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Postby Csook » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:50 pm

What's the deal on busting his chops over spelling. Did you not understand what he meant or can you not comprehend something that is not spelled out correctly. People worry so much on this sight about petty crap and rather than the topic at hand. I have to give it to some people :clapping: you have mastered the art of busting peoples chops.
Csook
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:59 pm

Leakeywaders....some people on here think im 12 years old. Im 19 by the way. :)
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:26 pm

Csook wrote:What's the deal on busting his chops over spelling. Did you not understand what he meant or can you not comprehend something that is not spelled out correctly. People worry so much on this sight about petty crap and rather than the topic at hand. I have to give it to some people :clapping: you have mastered the art of busting peoples chops.

Good grammar equals good student, ability to learn, and that you care about how you appear to others. More young people need to get 'schooled' by their peers and elders on forums like this. An occasional misspelled word is one thing, but a paragraph filled with them is another.
I thought it was done in a humorous manner...I doubt spoony broke into tears over it.
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Postby fish dog » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Noobhunter wrote:
Limitsx10 wrote:
fish dog wrote:

My thoughts exactly Ive only been hunting for two years and have seen numerous guns slide off the car. I

Yeah, I know its dangerous. Also know its illegal. I was just pointing it out for those reading that might not know.
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
fish dog
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:59 am

To add, the "full mag, but empty chamber" rule does not apply to handguns. If there is any ammo attached to the gun, it's considered loaded.
clampdaddy
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting