German Wirehaird pups wanted

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

German Wirehaird pups wanted

Postby kar6man6 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Looking for someone, preferably northern California, with German Wirehaired pointer puppies between now and sometime in the spring. Please let get to me with any promising leads you may have.
Thank you, Cody.
kar6man6
hunter

Re: German Wirehaird pups wanted

Postby JonD » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:03 pm

kar6man6 wrote:Looking for someone, preferably northern California, with German Wirehaired pointer puppies between now and sometime in the spring. Please let get to me with any promising leads you may have.
Thank you, Cody.

I don't know of any wirehair pups but there's a Drahthaar(looks like a wirehair but is more awesome) breeder in Sacramento that is having a litter in spring or summer, I cant remember which now. You can go to www.vdd-gna.org for more info on the breed and there's a list of breeders on that site.
JonD
hunter

Postby kar6man6 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:58 pm

Thank you JonD. I've been interested in the Drathaars as well, just not nearly as many of them around.
kar6man6
hunter

Postby TonyM » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:22 am

I was in the same position you are now. Finally settled on a Drahthaar due to the breeding standards. I agree with JonD. Check out the upcoming litters on the website he suggested. There aren't many breeders in California, so you may not find one locally. I had one flown out from North Dakota. He's 6 years old now. Huntin' machine. Tons of drive, but calm, quiet and focused on the stand. May cost you a few hundred more initially, but the strong likelihood you'll get a great dog is worth it. Good luck.
TonyM
hunter

Postby kar6man6 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:19 pm

TonyM, are you able to hunt your dog in extreme cold such as in places as Tulelake? That is my primary concern with a GWP or DD.
kar6man6
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:23 pm

contact some people at the German wirehair pointer club of northern Ca. I purchased my dog from Lynn Sandor, from the Wildwings kennel 10 years ago...been a flat out awesome dog. as for Drahthaar vs GWP remember there is very little difference. a Drahthaar is a GWP with a dutch ancestory, geneticaly they are the same. i have owned dogs that were considered a Drahthaar and dogs that were registered GWP and if they were sitting next to each other you would not be able to tell them apart. As far as AKC is concerned they are the same breed. (real hardcore Drahthaar fans will argue against this...and they may have some legitimate points)

anyway..long and short here is a good resource. http://www.gwpcnc.9f.com

like i said, I have owned a couple and would never own anything different. Awesome as a pointer and great in the duck blind. Super with my kids, mellow, doesnt bark, love my GWP's. My 10 year old dog (Roosevelt) is still going strong but I am going to start looking for a puppy, preferrably one that has some of my dogs ancestory...i know his sisters have had a couple litters...going to try and chase some paperwork and find another one.
Last edited by quack-attack on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby JonD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:29 pm

I'll be getting my Drahthaar pup next month.....can't wait to start the training process

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
JonD
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:32 pm

JonD wrote:I'll be getting my Drahthaar pup next month.....can't wait to start the training process
you will love it. they have so much character and are so fun. i cant wait to get another puppy
Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby kar6man6 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:49 pm

Does anyone have input on dogs out of The Haven kennel out of Santa Rosa?
kar6man6
hunter

Postby TonyM » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:29 pm

I've hunted Lower Klamath with my dog a few times, though not in the late season. It was cold by California standards though…low teens. It wasn't a problem. My last trip up there, I ran into a local with two Drahts. I assume he hunts them all season long. If you get him out of the water and put a vest on him (the same precautions I'd take with any dog), I think you'd be fine. They actually have a very thick undercoat under the wirehair. Good luck with whatever you settle on.
TonyM
hunter

Postby kar6man6 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:33 pm

Thank you Tony. Here is an interesting article explaining the GWP vs DD if anyone is interested. http://www.gundogmag.com/2013/10/11/breed-profile-german-wirehaired-pointer/
kar6man6
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting