LDC question

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

LDC question

Postby egduckkiller05 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:42 pm

My buddy drew a top 7 number at LDC this weekend and neither of us have hunted there before. I heard there were 7 blinds out there so not asking where to hunt but just curious how the place is shooting and any advice on hunting out there would be much appreciated. Thanks
egduckkiller05
hunter

Re: LDC question

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:01 pm

So your buddy drew #7 ? lol I believe there are 16 or 17 blinds there. With a seven you guys should get one of the decent ones. Hope for weather and bring bug spray. Good luck
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby WackNstack530 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 am

Pm sent
WackNstack530
hunter

Postby Csook » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:59 am

I just hunted LDC on Wednesday. I drew a number 12. We were not able to get a front blind (1-10) but we still shot 20 ducks for 3 of us. With a number 7 draw you will get a front blind which shoot the best. When you get there they have blind averages posted. Look over the averages and just kind of get a list of your top 7 blinds you want. You can always take someone out with you guys who has hunted there before :hi: I love the refuge and I know you will have a blast. Blinds are up to 3 people, they don't have any blinds over 3 people. If you have any more questions you can pm me or I can give you my number and you can text or call me. Like I said I just hunted there two days ago. Good luck
Csook
hunter

Postby egduckkiller05 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:53 am

Thanks for all the advice boys I really appreciate it!! :beer:
egduckkiller05
hunter

Postby #4Buckshot » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:20 pm

I had a single-digit reservation for Saturday and something told me it wasn't going to be worth it and not to go.
Best, and most dangerous, call I've made all season.

The Edit: Made a mistake, the reservation for LDC was for Sunday as I was @ Yolo on Sat.
I guess this is what happens to an old brain when you've hunted 4 straight days(Weds-Sat) for the first time in decades.
Last edited by #4Buckshot on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#4Buckshot
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:33 am

#4Buckshot wrote:I had a single-digit reservation for Saturday and something told me it wasn't going to be worth it and not to go.
Best, and most dangerous, call I've made all season.

Curious why it was the best decision?
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby calikid » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:15 am

I'm guessing he's talking about the refuges numbers from Saturday
calikid
hunter

Postby deltahunter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:55 am

with a single didit resi refuge averages at LDC are meaningless. Lots of folks wandering around in free roam that don't know what they are doing can destroy the average any given day. But with a single digit resi you should be the guy shooting birds. PM me if you want specifics but you guys should do great. I've shot there a few times this year.
deltahunter
hunter

Postby #4Buckshot » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:40 pm

First of all, I made a mistake. The reservation was for Sunday and it turned out to be an OK call. On reflection, I was looking at Llano Seco's #'s for that Sunday (on the DFG page) showing a 1. something average with Widgeon and Coots being the top 2 birds.
Returning to the list, it turns out LDC had a 2.25 bird average! So I'm happy with my decision.
I was so tired anyway, from 4 straight days of hunting (2 @ Yolo, that I posted about and 2 at my club {Thurs/Fri} that I decided not to brag about) so I was just-not-ready for the long drive up there. But......I absolutely swear on all that's holy, I had already been blessed with 2 #1 reservations for LDC earlier in the year. So, even with the 2.25 bird average attained that day, I'll just pretend I "paid it forward" for some unknown hunter to take my spot.
#4Buckshot
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting