Trash...again...

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Trash...again...

Postby fish dog » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:13 pm

When we refilled at San Jacinto Wednesday when we got to the blind it looked like someone had been shooting trap from the blind. We didn't count them but I'm betting we picked up at least 25 to 35 shells along with some miscellaneous wrappers and paper towels and such. We almost filled a plastic grocery bag. I'm not sure that you could totally blame the guy ahead of us because I know he only came out of there with two birds so this may have been an accumlication from the past few hunt days. Not that its that big a deal to pick up after someone, although if you think about it, why should we have to. But, my main beef about this type of thing is that it makes the area look trashed and who knows what big wig from Sacramento might come by some day and see something like that and decide that maybe they should close the area to hunting since hunters can't seem to clean up after themselves. Its just a childish attitude, like "I paid my 16+ bucks to come out here and hunt, someone else can pick up after me." Maybe I'm stupid but I just don't understand it.
:lame:
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
fish dog
hunter

Re: Trash...again...

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:23 pm

Good point.. Way to leave it better than you found it. :thumbsup:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby vanover » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:47 pm

I have found this type trash in every blind i have hunted out here. Its a shame. Thanks for doing your part!
vanover
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:58 am

fish dog wrote: "I paid my 16+ bucks to come out here and hunt, someone else can pick up after me."
:lame:

16 bucks???

Try closer to 1600... But

Seriously. I found a big turd in a blind this year...
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby hntndux » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:24 am

Pigs are everywhere I guess, hard to believe they would leave their crap out in a refuge like that?? Like Ron White says, they must be "Street Shidders"
hntndux
hunter

Postby KenaiHunter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:04 pm

You did what I always do...pick up the trash after the trash who hunted there left it.

Never hunted San Jacinto, however, a lot of the other refuges I've hunted have the same problem. Yolo by far has been the worst I've seen this season. Trash, spent shells, and people urinating in the blinds. It's disgusting, but all you can do is the right thing and play maid for those in front of you.
KenaiHunter
hunter

Postby coachbob » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:15 pm

I agree. Shells can sometimes get away, but how hard is it to to put the empty water bottle back in the same place the full one came from? In a blind, your stuff is right there so absolutely no excuse. Not uncommon to go out with 25 shells and bring back twice that many. Good on ya for doing your part. :mad:
coachbob
hunter

Postby Noobhunter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:32 pm

Tyrtruion wrote:Seriously. I found a big turd in a blind this year...

Its amazing how inconsiderate people can be, im sure that hunter that left that was probably laughing at the next guy getting the blind. Found the same thing in a family blind when I took my daughter on her first duck hunt, Im surprised she still wanted to hunt after that. I kinda understand your 100 yards from dry land and when you gotta go , you gotta go but seriously figure out a way to get it out of the blind.
Noobhunter
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:02 pm

How is this any different then the street you live on? People throw their cigarette butts out the window or their cans etc.. Unfortunately this is the American way anymore..People are pigs and YES they will RUIN it one day for ALL of us....

But I assure you no one on here does that so next year the same thread will appear and the same thing will happen as it has been the same things since the inception of DHC...

Just have to pick up after the person before you and it does no good to complain either..
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby fish dog » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:44 pm

yellowdog53 wrote:How is this any different then the street you live on? People throw their cigarette butts out the window or their cans etc.. Unfortunately this is the American way anymore..People are pigs and YES they will RUIN it one day for ALL of us....

But I assure you no one on here does that so next year the same thread will appear and the same thing will happen as it has been the same things since the inception of DHC...

Just have to pick up after the person before you and it does no good to complain either..

Yeah, yellowdog I'm pretty sure you're right about that. Maybe I'm hoping some lurker will "get it". Preaching to the choir doesn't really do much except to make me feel a little better for venting. I'm just afraid, with the current attitude about hunting in this state, that ANYTHING might used by the antis in Sacramento to shut down hunting on state run areas. That is my big fear. As far as picking up after someone, not that big a deal and I'll continue to do so, I'm just fearful and untrusting of the politicians and even some of the big wigs in DFW. Call me paranoid if you want.

And to clarify, I hope no one gets me wrong and thinks I'm going to blame anyone if they leave a shell or two out there. I'm sure, with our autoloaders and pumps that throw these empties all over the place you're going to miss one or two every once in a while. Large accumulations however, there is no excuse.
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you. -- Gen.9:3
fish dog
hunter

Postby High Sierras » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:20 pm

I took to bringing a few 1 gal ziplock baggies in my blind bag years ago. At the end of the hunt, I'll pick up my own trash, which is typicaly verry little, then I'll use one of the ziplocks to clean up "other peoples trash" in and around the blind until that one ziplock bag is full. Anything beyond that I leave... my concious is clear.

Once, last year, my son and I picked up a counted 83 shotshells out of a blind at Sac refuge at the end of the evening. Took about 15 minutes and filled up two 1-gallon ziplock baggies and a plastic grocery bag we found in the blind.
High Sierras
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:46 pm

I've gone out on "clean up" day at Wister, they do or used to anyway in the spring. It was amazing what we'd find out there. Found a shotgun one year!
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby bellabitch » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:03 pm

Yolo is really a mess. Every blind I have been into has been filled with garbage - water bottles, chew cans, candy wrappers and of course shell casings. Along with all that there is usually a layer of plant debris and mud - and yea - no doubt people are pissin' in the blind. I usually turn the seat upside down and kick all the crap into the upside down seat and lift it out and dump it on the island - I toss all the garbage in my jet sled and haul it back to the parking lot to the garbage can. Every blind I have been in this year at Yolo has been left clean when I left it.
I don't understand why you would piss in the blind - or crap - I wonder what kind of conditions these people are living in at home. :no:
bellabitch
hunter

Postby killneatstuff » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:44 pm

Free roam LDC. picked up 123 hulls 4 water bottles and various wrappers from chips, jerkey etc.

Could have picked up more 2X more hulls but pack and pockets were stuffed.

*** is wrong with people?
killneatstuff
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting