Coming to a close

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Coming to a close

Postby WackNstack530 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:48 pm

Well as waterfowl season is coming to a close, I look back on my time spent in the field this season. I have had some great hunts, and some goose eggs. I got some juniors, new hunters out, and enjoyed every minute of it. I am not a big numbers guy, my tally is less than 100 birds. I have buddies who are well over 200, and buddies who have only shot a hand full of birds. This season for me has been more about enjoying my time rather than the limits, even though I have had a few limit days. I feel that I have matured more as a hunter from this season than I have seasons past. This season has brought some great memories for me. Hope everyone else has had an enjoyable season too, limits or no limits! Lets hear how your season has been, numbers aside.
WackNstack530
hunter

Re: Coming to a close

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:55 pm

Hunted with my dad more this season then I did ever in my life combined.
2 new hunting dogs for my dad and in law. Thanks nabs.
First speck for my dad.
2 jr hunters first outings.
First band.
Meet a bunch of new DHC members
Bird numbers. Could have had more. Could have had less. Learned some things that will help next year.

Forgot one of the better moments.
The wife even came out to the blind and enjoyed it more than I did.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:20 pm

:thumbsup:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby yeltrk05 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:09 pm

well lets see, I put out $5,000.00 for a rice blind, my first time ever. I spent 18 days in the blind and shot at 2 birds... :crying: y buddy got 1 teal and 1 speck.....bad season or bad blind :help:
yeltrk05
hunter

Postby diverduckduster » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:48 am

I'm not a big numbers guy either. I'm sitting at 32 birds. I don't get down to the valley very often. Most of my birds were killed on clearlake. I too took some new hunters out, you would be surprised how excited to kill his first duck. It was a hen spoonie, you would have thought it was a banded speck by the way he acted. It was a great expierience for the both of us. For me I hunt hard, and each duck I shoot rather its a spoonie or a mallard is a blessing and a added bonus. Seen some gorgeous sun rises/ sets. It's not all about killing, I feel bad for the guys who post their bird count, it's not a competition. Enjoy the hunting expierience.
Canvasbacks= 10
Mallards=7
Widgeon=3
Gw teal=4
Spoons=4
Buffies=4
Posted my # s for you guys to chuckle at :lol:
diverduckduster
hunter

Postby hntndux » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:58 am

I am somewhat of a numbers guy, my fella's and I have spent 29k in the last 3 years and have right at 300 birds total to show for it. A handful of memorable hunts and a whole lot of disappointing ones.. Still love the game but it has changed way for the worse for our way of hunting, too damn old to change now I guess.Love to see the stories of the youngsters getting after the ducks in the refuges. Wonder how long guys are gonna throw down for a rice blind with a 5-15% chance of having a decent season??
Did get some 18 year olds in our blinds this year, it was a blast watching them have a great time..
Well time for Cruising and see what happens next year, Maybe we will get our first Hurricane?
hntndux
hunter

Postby sutterduckhunter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:14 am

We have one more week of the standard season, one weekend of junior (my 11 yr old boy) and a week of late goose season. Im looking at 12 more days of field time roughly! Get out there! :hammer:
After that, go shoot a turkey.
sutterduckhunter
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting