Taxidermist work around Butte county?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Taxidermist work around Butte county?

Postby KeepOnDucking » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:34 pm

I shot my first blue goose today and I was wondering if there are any taxidermist around Butte county that's not too far from Oroville where i can drop off my bird then have my dad go pick it up. Im moving to New Mexico for work next week so i wont be able to pick it up. The only problem is one of the wing is broken. Will they still be able to do a stand up mout with a broken wing? I also want to know how to store it before i bring it to them. Thanks.

KeepOnDucking
hunter

Re: Taxidermist work around Butte county?

Postby Nocalhonker » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:55 pm

PM sent
Nocalhonker
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:50 pm

friends that ask me to mount birds for them, I send them this. should help. also, don't go with a taxi just because of location. go with quality of work!

Field care for a duck you want mounted-
First and most importantly, be gentle with the bird! Do not throw it in the mud next to the blind, ring its neck, carry by its neck or put it on a duck strap. Throw your other birds on your strap but gently carry the one you want mounted. I recommend carrying it like a football in your arm. Be gentle. Do not let the dog retrieve it. The less handling the better to mount will be.

When you get home, wipe it off softly with a towel or paper towel in the direction of the feathers to rid of excess water/dirt. Curve head to tuck under wing. Place in two or three plastic bags sealing with tape to be air tight. If you have a vacuum sealer that is even better. Attach a note with your name, address, phone number, hunting license number and date. Put in freezer ASAP.

Birds that have been really “shot up” cannot be mounted. Normal shot can be repaired, only I can determine whether it is mountable or not. Broken wings and blood stains are acceptable most of the time. Birds with patches of feathers missing cannot be mounted. Local birds and large birds (geese) require hours of extra work, therefore the charge is more.
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:24 pm

Wing is fine .. Easy fix especially for a standing mount.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby KeepOnDucking » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:21 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I'll look around before I make my decision.
KeepOnDucking
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting