Must be Audubon Supporters

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Must be Audubon Supporters

Postby mikemac » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:27 am

This past Saturday I must have been set up in a pond with a bunch of Audubon life members. Besides these guys setting up about 40 yards from me and my buddy, yelling at their dog, Zeus or Goddammit, or Dammit or whatever he was calling the pup, the most wonderful aspect of the hunt was watching them instruct the ducks on how NOT to come to our pond under 100 yards in the air. :thumbsup:

Blowing their horns as if they were at a sporting event, talking and swearing loudly, and not respecting our lights were not a problem for them. They did their duty to protect the ducks the best they could. They made loud noises with the thunder guns, stated loudly "that was in my range", and then stole my goose I knocked down.

I am sure the Lifer is not on this forum. But if he or his buddy is, that Mallard you winged and did not look for, my Water Spaniel found it in the deep tullies about 40 yards from you and directly behind me. It was very much alive and was my dog pushed it out of the tullies and got it in the open water.

Can't wait to see how next week shoots at the Lodge. Spoony, you would have had a fit. :lol3:
mikemac
hunter

Re: Must be Audubon Supporters

Postby berdnird » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:52 am

I forget the exact quote, but I think it goes something like:

"There is nothing better for the conservation of ducks than a poorly used duck call".

Having someone blaring their horn right next to me is just as annoying as someone skybusting.
berdnird
hunter

Postby mikemac » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:14 am

berdnird wrote:I forget the exact quote, but I think it goes something like:

"There is nothing better for the conservation of ducks than a poorly used duck call".

Having someone blaring their horn right next to me is just as annoying as someone skybusting.

I agree. This time of year, it is usually better to be light on the call, and work them in with the whistle. But, hey, they educated and saved a lot of lives this weekend. :wink:
mikemac
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:54 am

Good to hear you have a aws that will get in the tules for you. Mine, retired now, was the worst hunting dog for fowl that I ever took a chance with. He never could bust the tules like a long legged american lab or chessie. He was fine for open water and light field cover but worthless in the tule marshes. On another note, he started having seizures at 7 and eye problems not long after. Like all dogs I've owned, they still become part of the family even with their issues ($$$). Hope yours does much better.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby mikemac » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:30 pm

friedcoot wrote:Good to hear you have a aws that will get in the tules for you. Mine, retired now, was the worst hunting dog for fowl that I ever took a chance with. He never could bust the tules like a long legged american lab or chessie. He was fine for open water and light field cover but worthless in the tule marshes. On another note, he started having seizures at 7 and eye problems not long after. Like all dogs I've owned, they still become part of the family even with their issues ($$$). Hope yours does much better.

Jimmy is a hunter: duck and upland. He comes from good stock and the SoCal breeder knew exactly what I was looking for in a dog. He is 4 today and has grown into a wonderful hunting companion. He figures out a way to get in the tullies, and thrashes about in them. We stopped by Quail Point on our way home on Sunday and as soon as we got off the freeway, his nose was working. That tail was heliocoptering non-stop. No medical conditions as of now. And he is a great housedog. Likes to spend his time laying his head on my wife's lap or mine. The most money I had to spend was $400 to get a deeply embedded foxtail out of his ear. Won't go back to that vet, I think they took advantage of the situation and could have done it without putting him under.
mikemac
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:14 pm

Wait until he finds a field with these. The long curly hair between his toes and under his legs is a nightmare to remove. Picked my dog out down in Fallbrook.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocklebur
friedcoot
hunter

Postby mikemac » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:32 pm

friedcoot wrote:Wait until he finds a field with these. The long curly hair between his toes and under his legs is a nightmare to remove. Picked my dog out down in Fallbrook.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocklebur

that is what Pam spray or olive oil is used for. Nasty stuff.
mikemac
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:49 pm

Don't poop on the audobon society. It's a good org. :smile:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:46 pm

slowshooter wrote:Don't poop on the audobon society. It's a good org. :smile:

That was before the reins and bit were changed. Theres a new cowboy riding the members now and he parties with a bad gang.

http://www.audubon.org/newsroom/press-r ... quiring--0
friedcoot
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:32 am

That's not a reason to hate them.

In fact that's in perfect keeping with their mission. You may not agree with them - but they are clear about why they exist in relative harmony with the hunting community.

There are a lot of people that pushed for that ban. Some were anti gun and some were anti hunting. The Audubon Society has never been either of the above and supports ethical hunting and sensible limits. If folks don't like that ammo ban - come up with better science to prove the current science wrong.

Attacking the studies used without supporting evidence to back up the claim their science is bad, isn't particularly reasonable - or convincing.

Traveling partners that arrive at the same destination may have completely different reasons to get there. So grouping the AS with a bunch of idiots doesn't make sense to me.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:41 am

I skimmed over friedcoots link....how is lead harming us? Dosent lead come out of the ground in the first place? So when we shoot and the shot or bullets go back into the ground how is that lead harming us?? And as far as the condors my teacher ( a retired game warden) said thats BS. He said that when people test the condors for lead that sylnium shows up the same as lead. SORRY I dont know how to spell it. But the birds are actually just full of sylnium.
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby JonD » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:48 am

With unlimited taxpayer funding I'm sure I would have no problem coming up with scientific studies that support my pro hunting agenda.....just saying.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
JonD
hunter

Postby mikemac » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:24 am

slowshooter wrote:Don't poop on the audobon society. It's a good org. :smile:

Actually, I was not attacking the Society. In fact, one of my club members is a long-time Society member. Face it, most Society members have a disdain for killing ducks, even though the Society founder was a big duck killer (he killed them in order to study them).

I was referring to the expert shooters who believe they can fold a duck from 100 yards on every shot. But, Slow, you knew that already. :wink:
mikemac
hunter

Postby ditchbanker » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:57 pm

mendotakiller wrote:I skimmed over friedcoots link....how is lead harming us? Dosent lead come out of the ground in the first place? So when we shoot and the shot or bullets go back into the ground how is that lead harming us?? And as far as the condors my teacher ( a retired game warden) said thats BS. He said that when people test the condors for lead that sylnium shows up the same as lead. SORRY I dont know how to spell it. But the birds are actually just full of sylnium.

Not gonna weigh in on the real topic here just now...'
but looking at your argument...c'mon :fingerhead:

Petroleum (gasoline) comes out of the ground...and we dont find it in condors
poppies (heroin) comes out of the ground...
gold comes out of the ground...
potatoes come out of the ground...

If you're gonna make arguments like this...the lefties will rip you a new one and you will deserve it :wink:
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
ditchbanker
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting