The ritual of the closer

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

The ritual of the closer

Postby slowshooter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:36 pm

The two worst days of the year are the opener and closer.

The closer is the worse of the two days because there are always these old chumps that walk around and shoot at anything that flies. It doesn't matter if they shoot from the levee down into the ponds where, you know, the actual hunters might be standing. When you yell at them, they scurry away like rats because their just smart enough to shoot at guys hunting the middle of the pond that might take a few minutes to reach the levee. Canny old creeps.

Each year I go to a refuge, get ticked off, yell a lot, wish death on those old suckers, then quit by noon, then drive to the closest sporting clay range and shoot a round of clays to clean out the duck gun. It's a good way to end the season.

This year might be very different. It's going to be hot so lazy old farts aren't going to go. Plus, there are no ducks. So there's no point in the levee shooters being around longer than 8 am.

With that in mind, I might actually stay at a refuge for the entire LST and then celebrate by closing up the season with either a 6 dollar burger or a Del Taco burrito for dinner. :grooving:

If my reading of the tea leaves is incorrect? See you at the sporting clay range. :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Re: The ritual of the closer

Postby drake slayer » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:27 pm

This is probably going to be the worst season in recent memory scissorbill wise. Just look how crowded the last few weeks lotteries have been and the numbers of scissorbills already out.
Greg Damitz
drake slayer
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm sure it's crowded up north because that's where all the frigging ducks are... But since there are very very few ducks in the grasslands even with a good reservation number, folks are leaving empty handed. I was walking around there this weekend and saw 5 coots. Tough to throw down gas money for that trip and see blue skies.

Woo woo.

On the other hand, if everyone goes to Gray Lodge to kill specks, I'll be sitting in the grasslands, looking at empty skies - happy not to get shot at by some idiot.

Sometimes you just have to take the positive at face value.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:31 pm

After Thursday, I'm putting everything away and start digging out my ice fishing gear. I certainly feel like that old fart who waits for better days. I spent most of the season just hanging around the house and going on more upland hunts and fishing trips than duck hunts. I can honestly say I harvested more doves, quail and band tailed pigeons than shots I fired at fowl (maybe deep into one box).
I know this will be my best winter for trout. On saturday I was fishing @ Pinecrest Lake in a T-shirt. Bugs were still flying and fish were still rising.
http://www.pinecrestlakeca.com/
Last edited by friedcoot on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Yea Right Slow ! Everyday is target time with all this sun ? You never know when a lost Spoonie mite fly by ,
out of station 5 at Rooster !
3200 man
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:52 pm

slowshooter wrote:With that in mind, I might actually stay at a refuge for the entire LST and then celebrate by closing up the season with either a 6 dollar burger or a Del Taco burrito for dinner. :grooving:

Do this ^

can always shoot clays. Hang in there and you might just be rewarded with a nice little PM shoot :wink:
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby zink freak » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:57 pm

we will pick the deeks up from the rice,and complain we wont hunt the rice anymore.then I will cut a check to hold my blind for the next season.its a sickness man
zink freak
hunter

Postby RCN » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:59 pm

slowshooter wrote:With that in mind, I might actually stay at a refuge for the entire LST and then celebrate by closing up the season with either a 6 dollar burger or a Del Taco burrito for dinner. :grooving:

What?! Go for the best, In-n-Out, Santa Nella style.
RCN
hunter

Postby yellowdog53 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:24 pm

Slow

You are a classic man and I love your posts simply the best..

Have a great off season and there might not be a season for many next year as Govenor Browns team just discovered CA is in a drought.. No kidding really you needed a "team" to figure thsat out??

Me I'm headed North not coming back until mid November or later next year gonna stay up there and shoot all the ducks I can :)
yellowdog53
hunter

Postby FowlChase » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:08 pm

zink freak wrote:we will pick the deeks up from the rice,and complain we wont hunt the rice anymore.then I will cut a check to hold my blind for the next season.its a sickness man

Hilarious!! The best part is your being totally honest with yourself rite up front. Your rite. Its a sickness. And as for you and the rest of us, there's no cure in sight. :beer: here's to next season.
FowlChase
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting