Annual Father-Son-Nephew hunt trip - Jan 2014

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Annual Father-Son-Nephew hunt trip - Jan 2014

Postby DuckFan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:59 pm

Just completed our annual Father-Son-Nephew trip.

My son and nephew got in some great action at a friend’s north grasslands club on Wed, the 15th. They each got birds before heading north to meet me at Granzella’s. We were to hunt 2 days together this year, on Greg Galli’s unguided blinds (River Valley Outfitters). Greg has new locations for these blinds and it was time to get in a couple of rice hunts.

Up early Thursday morning and headed to the blind. Blind area was very clean, decoys looked great and anticipation was high. Unguided means just that, but it is always nice to have decoys already out (duck and goose).

This year has been tough in the rice – as we all have seen and/or heard. While I always anticipate a great hunt, my ‘expectation’ for the numbers we would see was kept in check. After all, reports had been mixed.

But, on this first day (Thursday), we had a major highlight: Chris got his first goose! A beautiful Ross with a clean head shot. The Ross came in silent on the back side. Mike and Chris saw them first and Chris took his shot. It was a slow day so this shot made it all worthwhile.

On Friday, we hunted a different unguided blind from Greg, and had a similar hunt. Very slow all around us, but my son Mike dropped a beautiful bar belly Speck that came in, from a pair that flew in silently. His shot was into the sun and we could not get on the 2nd bird as we all were staring straight into that sun.

But, watching that bird fall – it also made my day.

We checked out the lotto at Sac refuge for a possible Sat hunt, but drew a very high number, so we headed back to the hotel to figure out the next move. I had to return early Sat to the Bay area for a Memorial service, so the boys headed down to our club in the grasslands for an afternoon shoot.

I got the call later that day on their success….which was beautiful to hear. Canvasback, GW and Cinn Teal, and a Spoon. The Can came in just before LST expired. They both stood and took a simultaneous shot. The Can dropped right in front of them, almost able to reach out and catch it from the air.

They slept well that night at the trailer and headed home on Sunday.

They started in the Grasslands on Wed with success; each got a special goose up north on Thur-Fri, and finished it off back in the grasslands on Sat with a great PM shoot.

Having the opportunity to hunt with these young men means a lot to me. The stories told, the jokes and ribbing, meals together and sharing time together is what mattered most. And it was time well spent.

Thanks to Greg for the unguided blind service he offers.

And, especially - Thanks to Mike and Chris for another memory filled trip.

Here are 2 pictures of the trip I wanted to share. The first is Chris coming in with his first ever goose a Ross. And the second of my son Mike with his Speck.

I love these pictures because they both show a mirrored image of them in the water as they walk back in.

We all should be so blessed to enjoy time with family in the marsh. It’s food for the soul.

Last edited by DuckFan on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Re: Annual Father-Son-Nephew hunt trip - Jan 2014

Postby slowshooter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:04 pm

What a great story! Nice to see some success down there and those pictures are awesome. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice to see that tradition is being kept - look forward to seeing pictures of your family hunt every year now. Yeah, I'm a sap but hey, family is where it's at. :thumbsup:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:11 pm

slowshooter wrote:What a great story! Nice to see some success down there and those pictures are awesome. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice to see that tradition is being kept - look forward to seeing pictures of your family hunt every year now. Yeah, I'm a sap but hey, family is where it's at. :thumbsup:

Thanks Slow....and you are right: "family is where it's at" :beer:
Last edited by DuckFan on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:18 pm

Great pics and story duckfan...sounds like a great tradition. I look forward to carving out my own traditions with my son as well :clapping:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby quigby979 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:37 pm

Good story duckfan, those pictures are cool with the reflection. Thanks for sharing
quigby979
hunter

Postby Tag stew » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Looks like a good time Duckfan! Congrats to the guy's!
Tag stew
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting