Jr. Weekend

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Jr. Weekend

Postby zkalinowski » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:42 pm

A friend's cousin got drawn in the 80's on Saturday at Gray Lodge and the low 50's on Sunday for Sac. I have a decent handle on Gray Lodge, but the Sac draw is a little more iffy. I know, I've probably lost half the people reading this just after the second half of the last sentence, but all I want to know is, if you were in the position of taking a kid out to a refuge with a ressie like that would you take whatever may be left in the blind/AP category, essentially dooming yourself to a rough hunt nine times out of ten, or would you take free roam, which I have never hunted before and try to stumble onto a good spot? I generally know what to look for to find ducks, but I have my fair share of miscues as well. I just really, really want to put this kid on some birds. Any thoughts? I'll probably lotto next weekend at Sac and try to hop into free roam to get a feel for it, but I can only imagine how much competition I'm going to have at the check station. I also want to make it absolutely clear that I am NOT looking for spots, just an opinion on what you would do between low end blinds/aps or free roam. Thanks.
All your spoonies are belong to us
zkalinowski
hunter

Re: Jr. Weekend

Postby Duckrig » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:55 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if your low 50 is actually a low 20 for a Sunday on the Jr. hunt. Sounds like you got a plan for checking out free roam if you see something you like there go for it. Unless something changes Sundays at Sac haven't been shooting anyway. Might want to consider staying at the Lodge.
Duckrig
hunter

Postby lcates » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:15 pm

don't worry about ressie take him to little dry creek sun
lcates
hunter

Postby calikid » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:45 pm

I agree that Sunday number will become a lot lower.depending on how your Saturday went you could jump on sac in the afternoon and do some scouting and then you would have your fr option if you couldn't get a decent blind.
calikid
hunter

Postby Kernkilla » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:32 pm

Took my nephew to sac on sat of the jr hunt last year. His #25 ended up being #12. He killed 5 geese and 2 ducks. Was really proud. Then on sunday at delevan his #9 was like a #5. Killed 3 geese and then we still made it home in time to watch the super bowl
Kernkilla
hunter

Postby zkalinowski » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks for all the insight, didn't even think of doing recon after the Gray Lodge hunt.
All your spoonies are belong to us
zkalinowski
hunter

Postby zink freak » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:45 pm

your ressie at sac will be about a 20.the jr hunt is usually about half the kids and about 25% the birds on sundays.so take a blind with a big sheet of water,kids just love action.they usually don't care if its a mallard or a boot tip
zink freak
hunter

Postby Mark L » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:41 pm

The way this post is sounding, my son's #5 at Los Banos on Junior Saturday should be pretty darn good.

Any suggestions on a blind out there for that day. We have hunted free roam and Mud Slough a few times, but I would love to get him on some birds since this will be his last year as a junior and first time putting in for the junior hunt.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark
Mark L
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting