Back to back Yolo's

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Back to back Yolo's

Postby #4Buckshot » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:50 pm

Last Wednesday I lucked into single-digit lotto # (My first try here) and then was able to get the one blind that had been left open. It turned into a day that reminded me of refuge hunting in the 60's and 70's. If I had been allowed an unlimited amout of shells, I could have shot 2-3 dozen spoonbills and half that many again of teal. But, I was patient and ended up with 2 bull sprig, 4 bull widgeon and the only greenhead I saw all day. I discovered on Sat, (shoot #2) that the blind area average was 2-3 birds short (around 200 birds total) of a perfect 7.0 average that day. The day reminded me of "the ol-days" because after the early AM shoot stopped, the sky opened up, around 11, and the birds started pouring in again for a couple of hours. The numbers of birds in the sky also reminded me of times I thought were gone for good.
The day put a big smile on my face as I am celebrating my 51st year of refuge hunting and my 60th overall this new year.

The hunt on Saturday should have been as rewarding, although it was as far as getting an almost identical limit, but I was reminded, once again, that Weds "hunters" seem to be different than weekend "hunters". I got in with a very low double-digit resi and was able to get an even better blind than Weds. (meaning, to me, among other "secrets" an even shorter walk)
At 8:30 AM, I saw the first 2, out of a total of 5 for the morning, make their walk back to the lot for more shells. It only took a couple of early miracle high wounding shots to set the pattern for the rest of the day which resulted in really cranking-up the "gang-shooting" and high shot competition. There were just as many, and in fact more ducks in the sky than Weds. but they were past rifle-range. Even at that height they would jerk, rise up or turn away at every shot no matter where it came from. But, if you were patient and let the "lower-value" (If I may use that term) work/land in your decoy set the big birds would follow in. Unlike Weds, the most numerous bird in the sky seemed to be widgeon. Mid morning I thought my mini-set of decoys
were not working as good as they should have been, so I collected them all and constructed a real small tight pod. The difference was immediate! Goes to show no matter how many mud-miles you have on your boots, there's always something new to learn or try.
On Weds, the geese were too far north in the refuge, but on Sat they were all in the field(s) next to and west of the blinded area. Out of all those geese only 1 small flock of 12 specks ventured east into the blinded area and, of course, only over my blind @ about 45yds. I screwed the pooch and missed using only 2 shots. I was so damn mad from the #1 miss, and then #2, I figured they deserved a total pass and not end up crippling one only to have it go a few yards back into the closed zone. That being, if for some reason, the #3 shot happened to have a different result. Probably wouldn't have anyway. The only excuse, that I won't use, is: if you're a large person, the tanks ARE a little narrow with the end seats too close to the edge. I know, I know, it sounds pretty weak and why it didn't seem to effect my duck shooting I can't answer
These 2 hunt days are the one's we/I wait for. Nice and warm, zillions of birds, no bugs and lots of "stuff" to watch. Watching a small group of swans fly very low over the blinded area, with about 200 ducks closely, VERY closely following them was just epic.
Even if I don't manage to get out the next 3 hunt days I have had my day(s) in the sun. Literally.
#4Buckshot
hunter

Re: Back to back Yolo's

Postby Sprig-Speck Hunter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:16 am

Wow, must've been pretty good. Cause sunday shot a .5 average for the entire refuge. All the birds left. Drove around the yolo area today, nothing. Hopefully the north valley refuges are shooting better. :no:
Sprig-Speck Hunter
hunter

Postby calikid » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:26 am

Should have been at Little dry creek last week.shot lights out!
calikid
hunter

Postby das mudhen » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:18 am

Good to hear that the refuges can still be so good. I know lots of folks that are going to quit club hunting in 2014, and pray for rain so the clubs might improve in a few years.

A refuge like Yolo could really be handy, big place, lots of room for a bunch of new hunters, etc.

I'm actually looking forward to trying the refuge thing for a whole season, instead of just fill-in for when the rice is slow.

I plan to spend at least $600 in resi apps, so maybe I'll survive the drought??

das mudhen
"Lighten up Francis"

Sgt. Hulka
das mudhen
hunter

Postby #4Buckshot » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:27 pm

Actually Sprig-Speck hunter, Sunday had a 1.6 average but that was a big drop off from Weds 4.1 6 and Saturdays 4.40
What surprised me, but shouldn't have, is how on both days, the free-roam area #'s made the total average drop almost 3 birds.
On both days I would hear these distinctive Thump-thumps coming from various blinds that was quite different from most of the reports. (a sound I had heard at other refuges) A deep "tank-echo" if you will. It took me a while to finally figure out it was junior hunters shooting since they stand much lower in the tanks than adults, thus the deeper echo from the gun discharge. In the early morning I had noticed about 8 or 9 juniors @ the check station (inc. a couple of very pretty girls too) before the #'s/resi's were called.
It was very nice to see new blood entering the sport.
#4Buckshot
hunter

Postby coachbob » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:58 am

My hunting partner hunted there last Saturday on a ressie, invited me but 3 plus hour drive so I stuck to Delevan. He also said it was an "Epic" day reminding him of the old days. He said the wigeon were as thick as he has seen in years. Since he lives in Napa, he is now a Yolo convert. Always good to hear about the special hunts, even if sharing does upset some members who think all results should be top secret. :thumbsup:
coachbob
hunter

Postby upcedarcreek » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:42 am

Not bashing anybody but I wouldn't be surprised if the Yolo lottery hits 500 Friday night.........Just sayin'.........
upcedarcreek
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:45 am

upcedarcreek wrote:Not bashing anybody but I wouldn't be surprised if the Yolo lottery hits 500 Friday night.........Just sayin'.........

You can bet you butt it will be. But that is cool. Everyone on DHC knows that I got to shoot some birds. :fingerhead:

Then we wonder why there are so many people ranting about all the jackwads out there sky busting and blowing kazoos

Just look at all the guest that view this site. The first thing that comes up of ca duck hunting in google is this fourm
Internet scouting gold. Got to love it.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby calikid » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:10 pm

U wish mods would just pull these threads.
calikid
hunter

Postby calikid » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:58 pm

And then put them back after the seasons over :lol3:
calikid
hunter

Postby #4Buckshot » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:39 pm

For the cry-babies:
If you think good shooting goes on hunt day after hunt day, at any refuge, then you-just-haven't-been-hunting-very-long.
I waited almost 5 days to post (after the second hunt) about my experience. It's done, it's over with, it's history probably not to be repeated (see Sundays results).
There IS a DFG page that also can tell everyone in the world how each refuge has been doing but once again it's only showing you past history.
#4Buckshot
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:55 pm

#4Buckshot wrote:For the cry-babies:
If you think good shooting goes on hunt day after hunt day, at any refuge, then you-just-haven't-been-hunting-very-long.
I waited almost 5 days to post (after the second hunt) about my experience. It's done, it's over with, it's history probably not to be repeated (see Sundays results).
There IS a DFG page that also can tell everyone in the world how each refuge has been doing but once again it's only showing you past history.

Have you not noticed 90% of the questions asked here would be answered straight out of the dfg hand book. You are giving people to much credit to really think they would look up the results on the interweb. I will just come onto DHC and see where the shooting been.
And don't worry I have nothing to cry about I don't hunt there. It just amuse me when we see all these crowding rants and no one can figure out why :huh:
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Calikev » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:59 pm

Internet jibber jabber always leads to more folks turning out to areas. You can't post detailed success and expect that not to happen.

There has always been a correlation between success and folks showing up. In the old days it was word of mouth or the call lines. Now it is social media and the internet. In either case the word eventually gets out. It just happens very quickly these days.

We all are victims of our own circumstance. Junkies lining up for the fix..........
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Calikev wrote:Internet jibber jabber always leads to more folks turning out to areas. You can't post detailed success and expect that not to happen.

There has always been a correlation between success and folks showing up. In the old days it was word of mouth or the call lines. Now it is social media and the internet. In either case the word eventually gets out. It just happens very quickly these days.

We all are victims of our own circumstance. Junkies lining up for the fix..........

Agreed.
I don't hunt there but I have sent about 10-15 newbies from The Bay Area to yolo. Where can we hunt with out having to drive up north. Send them to yolo because I read it has tons of birds. Now your lotto line goes from 300-500 guys and can't figure out why. And then next year when there seems to be a few extra thousand apps put in for yolo don't wonder why. :huh: I know I will along with my 10-15 hunting buddies will be. :hi:
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby upcedarcreek » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:16 pm

Well, I can at least remember when I could just show up any morning at Yolo and hunt, and how often I was the only guy in the parking lot in the afternoon, sometimes the only guy in the whole north end in the early days....I used to think it was crowded if there were 3 or 4 other groups in the morning in an area that now has 16 blinds.......
upcedarcreek
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting