4th times the charm.

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

4th times the charm.

Postby Tyrtruion » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:18 am

So after missing 3 shots... This little gal turned around and gave me enough time to perform a textbook emergency reload... And no... I didn't take a picture of the coot I shot
Attachments
image.jpg
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Re: 4th times the charm.

Postby mendotakiller » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:02 am

Hard to see on my phone. Is that a bluewing hen or a cinn teal hen?
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby yolodc » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:48 am

looks like a hen cin. teal....
yolodc
hunter

Postby SnG » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:39 am

Tyrtruion wrote:So after missing 3 shots... This little gal turned around and gave me enough time to perform a textbook emergency reload... And no... I didn't take a picture of the coot I shot

I can only imagine how high that bird must have been. Maybe I'm wrong and she came back around to land in your decoys after being shot at 3 times.
SnG
hunter

Postby LeakyW8ers » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:55 am

mendotakiller wrote:Hard to see on my phone. Is that a bluewing hen or a cinn teal hen?

For all intents and purposes, they are indistiguishable from one another. Unless you have one of each in hand you'd never know. The Cinn's bill is slightly longer and wider than a blue wing, as they are with the drakes. Hence why some call them cinna-spoons.

Most are assumed Cinnamon's unless they are shot with a drake blue wing from the same flock.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:02 pm

SnG wrote:
Tyrtruion wrote:So after missing 3 shots... This little gal turned around and gave me enough time to perform a textbook emergency reload... And no... I didn't take a picture of the coot I shot

I can only imagine how high that bird must have been. Maybe I'm wrong and she came back around to land in your decoys after being shot at 3 times.

Well, while looking for a cripple my dog flushed it out right infront of me. I missed three shots at 10/15/20 yards away while she zig zagged away... At about 45 yards she circled back (assuming that because I stopped shooting, the threat was gone). And I was presented with a nice 15yd approach shot.

Her mistake.

My partner and I actually thought she was a bwt until we compared it side by side to the hen bwt he just shot. Slightly larger bird, darker more rustic color, longer bill.
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby SnG » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:42 pm

Tyrtruion wrote:
SnG wrote:

Well, while looking for a cripple my dog flushed it out right infront of me. I missed three shots at 10/15/20 yards away while she zig zagged away... At about 45 yards she circled back (assuming that because I stopped shooting, the threat was gone). And I was presented with a nice 15yd approach shot.

Her mistake.

My partner and I actually thought she was a bwt until we compared it side by side to the hen bwt he just shot. Slightly larger bird, darker more rustic color, longer bill.

Nicely done then :thumbsup: and I apologies for my somewhat snide post. Just doesn't happen that way often and I'm sorry for assuming the worst.
SnG
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:45 pm

SnG wrote:
Tyrtruion wrote:
SnG wrote:

Her mistake.

Nicely done then :thumbsup: and I apologies for my somewhat snide post. Just doesn't happen that way often and I'm sorry for assuming the worst.

It's all good man. I might have assumed the same. :thumbsup:
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:32 pm

Last minute of shoot time at kern yesterday. This guy and 5 others came in. I dropped him first shot. 1st time was a charm for me but second and third shot left the others hauling ass out of there :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting