I heard the season is almost over

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

I heard the season is almost over

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:43 pm

I better get my gear ready!
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Re: I heard the season is almost over

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:49 pm

Heck no. 3 more days for ducks. Then jrs next weekend then late goose for BOS in feb then late goose for NE in March. Time to get more goose decoys.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby quigby979 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:51 pm

WOW! another pointless stupid rant about the last day of the season, more stupid stories that we don't want to hear. Why do people come on here to complain about no more ducks, refuge crowding, skybusting its nothing new and and it will not change. Buy into a club, go up north and shoot as many ducks as possible......thats my impersonation of yellowdog53.....if I beat him to it he will not have anything to post hahaha
quigby979
hunter

Postby Calikev » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:01 pm

slowshooter wrote:I better get my gear ready!

Yep.........I haven't gone since opening day so I better get my money's worth off that 2 day pass I bought.
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby hntndux » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:30 pm

quigby979 wrote:WOW! another pointless stupid rant about the last day of the season, more stupid stories that we don't want to hear. Why do people come on here to complain about no more ducks, refuge crowding, skybusting its nothing new and and it will not change. Buy into a club, go up north and shoot as many ducks as possible......thats my impersonation of yellowdog53.....if I beat him to it he will not have anything to post hahaha

OK So im not sure if this is a RANT or a nuck on Yellow.. You got me if so..pretty funny why guys read all this and then complain about everyone else complaining!!! Like they are The Duck Master or something.. cheap entertainment..
hntndux
hunter

Postby finsnfeathershunter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:34 pm

[quote="slowshooter"]I better get my gear ready![/quote]

Put all mine away today. Take me 30 minutes to get ready this October :thumbsup: Only new thing I need for next year is a tube of Aqua Seal for a pinhole leak in my waders.

Don't really need any shells but might buy a box or two on sale if I come across them.
finsnfeathershunter
State Moderator

Postby Butta boom » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:31 pm

The season was over for most of you guys a long time ago. When you don't go, you don't know.

It may be enjoyable to feed of the info here, and offer your help or hurt, but in the end the folks in the know, are the ones that go.

Try to figure out why you no longer care to get up and go, and do something to about it. It will be worth it.
Butta boom
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:59 pm

finsnfeathershunter wrote:

Put all mine away today. Take me 30 minutes to get ready this October :thumbsup: Only new thing I need for next year is a tube of Aqua Seal for a pinhole leak in my waders.

Don't really need any shells but might buy a box or two on sale if I come across them.

A box or two? The way my season went I am going to start buying them by the shell! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:02 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:

A box or two? The way my season went I am going to start buying them by the shell! :lol3:

They will go bad don't you know. At least that what the guys at the refuge are thinking this weekend. Got to use them all.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:03 pm

You got that right. slow. So few people seem to understand such a simple concept. After the closure the hunting improves, the crowds are non-existent, and it's way cheaper. Why fight the crowds at a Macy's Black Friday sale when you can go in about 2 am and browse all the free stuff for hours? :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:05 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

They will go bad don't you know. At least that what the guys at the refuge are thinking this weekend. Got to use them all.

Never really thought about that, sarge. I bet skybusting goes WAY up the last couple of days of the season. Not so much to use up shells as much as a "last chance" type of attitude.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:48 pm

You guys really didn't kill very many birds this season huh? Over the last 3 seasons my numbers have continued to climb.... within that 3 years I have noticed a few changes. It's no longer about limits.... I have no problem leaving the field without a full strap even though there's birds flying still after running out of shells, I enjoy the smaller things such as the company I'm with, and years of hunting the refuges are finally paying off as far as patterning birds go. Yesterday I tied my previous season total and hope to add a few more this weekend. If not, it will be ok. I will be spending the last weekend with people i enjoy doing something I love.... good luck everyone and stay safe! :beer:
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:20 pm

spoonysmaker wrote:You guys really didn't kill very many birds this season huh? Over the last 3 seasons my numbers have continued to climb.... within that 3 years I have noticed a few changes. It's no longer about limits.... I have no problem leaving the field without a full strap even though there's birds flying still after running out of shells, I enjoy the smaller things such as the company I'm with, and years of hunting the refuges are finally paying off as far as patterning birds go. Yesterday I tied my previous season total and hope to add a few more this weekend. If not, it will be ok. I will be spending the last weekend with people i enjoy doing something I love.... good luck everyone and stay safe! :beer:

Jeez, what a buzz buster. :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:32 pm

spoonysmaker wrote:You guys really didn't kill very many birds this season huh? Over the last 3 seasons my numbers have continued to climb.... within that 3 years I have noticed a few changes. It's no longer about limits.... I have no problem leaving the field without a full strap even though there's birds flying still after running out of shells, I enjoy the smaller things such as the company I'm with, and years of hunting the refuges are finally paying off as far as patterning birds go. Yesterday I tied my previous season total and hope to add a few more this weekend. If not, it will be ok. I will be spending the last weekend with people i enjoy doing something I love.... good luck everyone and stay safe! :beer:

Some of us have already been there and done that. Can have just as much fun shooting clays, drowning worms and drinking. Comes a time you start to dread the thought of all the work involved with preparation, engagement, and de-preparation; especially when you know the engagement part has low odds.
I'm done. Finished my day with a few drake widgeon. Nothing special. Had a good shoot. But, I'm tired, my boat and gear are a mess, I have to breast some birds, clean the fire stick, flush the motor, and then, put it all away. It's getting cold in the garage and
I'll probably just do a quick wipe of the gun and deal with the rest tomorrow. Much easier to sit on the couch with a scotch in one hand and take single shots at the keyboard with the other.
Next year, I'll do it all over, esp. if we get weather.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:37 pm

friedcoot wrote:

Some of us have already been there and done that. Can have just as much fun shooting clays, drowning worms and drinking. Comes a time you start to dread the thought of all the work involved with preparation, engagement, and de-preparation; especially when you know the engagement part has low odds.
I'm done. Finished my day with a few drake widgeon. Nothing special. Had a good shoot. But, I'm tired, my boat and gear are a mess, I have to breast some birds, clean the fire stick, flush the motor, and then, put it all away. It's getting cold in the garage and
I'll probably just do a quick wipe of the gun and deal with the rest tomorrow. Much easier to sit on the couch with a scotch in one hand and take single shots at the keyboard with the other.
Next year, I'll do it all over, esp. if we get weather.

Sheesh! And I thought spoonysmaker was a buzz buster! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:44 pm

Think of all those poor soles (souls) who have to gather their decoys out of their $6k rice blinds this season. Now that's a buzz kill.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby Kernkilla » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:19 pm

Not over yet either. Sat and sunday then jr hunt at kern. High number but hay....
Kernkilla
hunter

Postby finsnfeathershunter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:42 pm

[quote="Glimmerjim"][quote="finsnfeathershunter"][quote="slowshooter"]I better get my gear ready![/quote]

Don't really need any shells but might buy a box or two on sale if I come across them.[/quote]
A box or two? The way my season went I am going to start buying them by the shell! :lol3:[/quote]

My first 4 trips I used the same box myself.
finsnfeathershunter
State Moderator

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:53 pm

friedcoot wrote:Think of all those poor soles (souls) who have to gather their decoys out of their $6k rice blinds this season. Now that's a buzz kill.

Riding my quad through the rice drinking beers with my friends that all enjoyed the blind as well. Sounds like a good day to me. And any smart ricer would have been pulling deeks for about a month now. Few hundred left.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:30 am

Calikev wrote:

Yep.........I haven't gone since opening day so I better get my money's worth off that 2 day pass I bought.

LOL! I have a map that shows where all the refuges are if you forgot. :lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:42 am

Glimmerjim wrote:

You got that right. slow. So few people seem to understand such a simple concept. After the closure the hunting improves, the crowds are non-existent, and it's way cheaper. Why fight the crowds at a Macy's Black Friday sale when you can go in about 2 am and browse all the free stuff for hours? :lol3:

It's like going to the drive in the 70s. When we were all skinny enough to fit in the trunk. :lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:50 am

I did put on the waders this week. Turns out that I have a pretty big leak high up on one leg. Looked like I had elephantitis walking down the levee. The other hunters ran away thinking it was fatty leg syndrome.

I need to get some shells as well. Mine are so old that the price on them was less than 8 bucks. They also work as well as throwing an inflated balloon. :grooving: :sad:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby hntndux » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:32 am

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
friedcoot wrote:Think of all those poor soles (souls) who have to gather their decoys out of their $6k rice blinds this season. Now that's a buzz kill.

Riding my quad through the rice drinking beers with my friends that all enjoyed the blind as well. Sounds like a good day to me. And any smart ricer would have been pulling deeks for about a month now. Few hundred left.

HECK THIS YEAR PICKING UP SHOULD BE FUNNER THAN 20 TRIPS TO BIGGS TO SIT IN A HOLE IN THE GROUND AND DRINK COFFEE TILL TEN THEN DRIVE THE 70 MILES HOME WITH A SUN TAN
SARGE, IVE ONLY BEEN ONCE IN THE LAST MONTH...DIDNT FEEL LIKE PICKING UP THEN EITHER!!
hntndux
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:10 am

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:

Don't need decoys to do that do you ?
friedcoot
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:17 am

friedcoot wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:

Don't need decoys to do that do you ?

No you don't need decoys to **** hunt with. I will just leave a few grand worth of gear out there.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting