Grey Lodge - Sunshine and Pintail

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Grey Lodge - Sunshine and Pintail

Postby jn30497 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:07 pm

Needed the sunblock @ 70+ sunshine but the hunting was great. 14 for 2, limits of Pintail, lots of teal and Widgeon. Out by noon, could have been 10 but we had to pass on a 100 Pintail to get into a Wigeon or Teal. Lots of birds and a Cali suntan!
jn30497
Newb

Re: Grey Lodge - Sunshine and Pintail

Postby bellabitch » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Well, I am not 'burning' a NWR by saying this since we are at the last day of the season - but I was at Gray Lodge yesterday - yea at least 70 degrees - I did get a sunburn - and I have never seen so many birds - flying - and on straps at the check station - and people - Not sure how many people got on to hunt out there yesterday but I got on at about 1pm with number 504 - While I waited from about 11-1 virtually everyone who came out had full straps of birds - upon leaving it was same story - had to wait in line while check station guys checked all of the straps of birds. I bet that the average was close to 7 with 2000 birds taken for the day - not counting all the specks and snow geese I saw at the check station. What a great year it has been for a refuge hunter. Easily one of the best in the 30 years I have been hunting Gray Lodge.... oh and yea ... it is a zoo.
bellabitch
hunter

Postby JonD » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Oh ya gray lodge was amazing on Saturday

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
JonD
hunter

Postby fully_loaded » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:23 pm

Yes it was. I had sprig landing in my deeks all day after I limited on them. My buddy and I limited around 230. It took us that long to shoot another 10 non pintail. What a fun day and a great day to bring out the wife as well. She had a blast and is now considering getting her license next year! The ducks better beware. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wine Country DU Committee Member
fully_loaded
hunter

Postby JonD » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:40 pm

fully_loaded wrote:Yes it was. I had sprig landing in my deeks all day after I limited on them. My buddy and I limited around 230. It took us that long to shoot another 10 non pintail. What a fun day and a great day to bring out the wife as well. She had a blast and is now considering getting her license next year! The ducks better beware. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey I recognize that car. I hunted right across from you. I was the one in the gray dodge truck that was parked next to you.
Oh and by the way you guys owe me a shell for finishing off that last pintail that sailed on ya :yes:
JonD
hunter

Postby fully_loaded » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:35 pm

Lol. You should have said something, I would have hooked you up with a few (even though it was my buddies bird). Next year my friend. :beer:
Wine Country DU Committee Member
fully_loaded
hunter

Postby Green with Envy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:49 pm

bellabitch wrote:Well, I am not 'burning' a NWR by saying this since we are at the last day of the season -hunting Gray Lodge.... oh and yea ... it is a zoo.

The juniors might disagree. But yes, every one knows about Gray Lodge so you really can't sport burn that place.

If this was your best year in 30 years of hunting refuges, congratulations. :beer:
Green with Envy
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting