What was the last bird you shot 13/14 season?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Re: What was the last bird you shot 13/14 season?

Postby terenceb » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:34 am

Canvasback Hen. Probably the best hunt of the year for me: ended w/ 2 Scaup, 1 Canvasback, 1 Ruddy, and 1 Buffie.

Not sure what to expect next year but we'll see if we get any rain or snow in the next 2-3 months
terenceb
hunter
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:05 pm


Re: What was the last bird you shot 13/14 season?

Postby slowshooter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:56 am

Guy tailgating me on Pacheco Pass. Shot that bird out the window and waved it around for emphasis.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9019
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: What was the last bird you shot 13/14 season?

Postby spoonysmaker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:58 am

[[/quote] Probably the best hunt of the year for me: [/quote]

I'm sorry.
User avatar
spoonysmaker
hunter
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:19 pm
Location: livermore, ca

Re: What was the last bird you shot 13/14 season?

Postby DUKHNER » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:02 am

quack-attack wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
DUKHNER wrote:Nice. Looks like a euro/American hybrid.


Is it a hybrid or just a euro.

looks like a bloody american widgeon...what part looks euro?

Maybe because of the cinnamon neck on it.
User avatar
DUKHNER
hunter
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:04 pm
Location: San Carlos

Re: What was the last bird you shot 13/14 season?

Postby quack-attack » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:12 am

DUKHNER wrote:
quack-attack wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
DUKHNER wrote:Nice. Looks like a euro/American hybrid.


Is it a hybrid or just a euro.

looks like a bloody american widgeon...what part looks euro?

Maybe because of the cinnamon neck on it.

we shot over 100 widgeon in my rice blind over the last couple weeks... i bet half of them looked exactly like that. that is an imature drake american widgeon...most have alittle rust color around the neck. If we are calling that a hybrid then hell i have shot a ton of hybrids.

i am deeebag...sorry..never mind
Last edited by quack-attack on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
User avatar
quack-attack
hunter
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: chico

Re: What was the last bird you shot 13/14 season?

Postby quack-attack » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:24 am

and i almost forgot..i finished with a double on bull sprig..before that i shot a few transexual Euro/american/GWT/mallard hybrids
Attachments
last day.jpg
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
User avatar
quack-attack
hunter
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: chico

Re: What was the last bird you shot 13/14 season?

Postby DUKHNER » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:34 am

quack-attack wrote:
DUKHNER wrote:
quack-attack wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
DUKHNER wrote:Nice. Looks like a euro/American hybrid.


Is it a hybrid or just a euro.

looks like a bloody american widgeon...what part looks euro?

Maybe because of the cinnamon neck on it.

we shot over 100 widgeon in my rice blind over the last couple weeks... i bet half of them looked exactly like that. that is an imature drake american widgeon...most have alittle rust color around the neck. If we are calling that a hybrid then hell i have shot a ton of hybrids.[/

I too have shot my fare share of wigeon. Mature and immature. Not one of them had a CINNAMON neck like this. Except the Euro I shot in the earlier pic. So I guess we can leave this as a agree to disagree kind of thing.
User avatar
DUKHNER
hunter
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:04 pm
Location: San Carlos

Re: What was the last bird you shot 13/14 season?

Postby quack-attack » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:49 am

DUKHNER wrote:
quack-attack wrote:
DUKHNER wrote:
quack-attack wrote:
Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
DUKHNER wrote:Nice. Looks like a euro/American hybrid.


Is it a hybrid or just a euro.

looks like a bloody american widgeon...what part looks euro?

Maybe because of the cinnamon neck on it.

we shot over 100 widgeon in my rice blind over the last couple weeks... i bet half of them looked exactly like that. that is an imature drake american widgeon...most have alittle rust color around the neck. If we are calling that a hybrid then hell i have shot a ton of hybrids.[/

ok.. looking on my computer now..not phone...i thought that was blood on the back of the neck...maybe i was wrong...it happens now and then...
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
User avatar
quack-attack
hunter
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: chico

Re: What was the last bird you shot 13/14 season?

Postby terenceb » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:18 pm

spoonysmaker wrote:[
Probably the best hunt of the year for me: [/quote]

I'm sorry.[/quote]


Yea, haha. It's alrite, I was thankful I was able to scratch out some birds the last hunt of the season. They'll make some good raviolis or pizza for Superbowl Sunday.
terenceb
hunter
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: What was the last bird you shot 13/14 season?

Postby SFGregS » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:26 pm

Last duck of the year for the past 2 years was a bull sprig. Always a great way to end the season.

This morning i woke up - "Is it turkey season yet?"
User avatar
SFGregS
hunter
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:44 am
Location: Bay Area, Ca

Re: What was the last bird you shot 13/14 season?

Postby WisterSpoonieSlayer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:33 am

Drake G.W. Teal
WisterSpoonieSlayer
hunter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:04 am
Location: Simi Valley, Ca

Re: What was the last bird you shot 13/14 season?

Postby PetriDuck » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:50 am

Drake gadwall
PetriDuck
hunter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: What was the last bird you shot 13/14 season?

Postby berdnird » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:23 am

Last shot was a drake gwt. Second to last shot I dropped two bull canvasbacks in one shot :grooving:
berdnird
hunter
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: What was the last bird you shot 13/14 season?

Postby bugman » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:31 am

Bull sprig! Monday I took 4 pheasants at the club. And today, while cleaning out the residue of the duck season from my pickup, I heard the neighborhood turkeys mating.
bugman
hunter
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: What was the last bird you shot 13/14 season?

Postby ericwjennings » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:23 pm

Bull Sprig.
I'm an old snipe hunter from waaay back...
User avatar
ericwjennings
hunter
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:53 pm
Location: Gridley, CA

Re: What was the last bird you shot 13/14 season?

Postby Beretta06 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Mine was a drake greenwing my partners was a 1 shot double on Bullsprig. A bad season bookended by a good opener and a good closer.
Attachments
image.jpg
Beretta06
hunter
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:44 pm

Previous

Return to California Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests