We are OUT

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

We are OUT

Postby hntndux » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:32 pm

Took five guys today and picked up, cleaned up..Worst year in the Rice I have ever seen. Wonder how long it will take for the "sellers" to come up with a line for selling blinds next year?? We were under 100, killed 5 ducks in 10 trip since the 1st of Dec. in a blind that 4-5 years ago killed 300-500 ducks??
hntndux
hunter

Re: We are OUT

Postby Noobhunter » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:01 pm

That sucks did you have water? My brother in laws near Ollie's never got flooded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Noobhunter
hunter

Postby blugoose » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:39 am

Well of coarse it was the worst "duck" season. No conditions. But it was a great "waterfowl" season! 25 ducks and 87 geese not like the " good ole days" But nothing has changed besides the weather. Nice days you hunt the refuge for that's where they are. Weather days you hunt the rice for that's where they are. We just have this no weather thing going on now. Hope the pattern changes soon. Till then we just shoot them geese.
blugoose
hunter

Postby hntndux » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:13 am

Yes we were fortunate enough to have water early (opener)..Actually been talking about getting in shape enough to hunt the refuges again..been a long time for me..
hntndux
hunter

Postby retired » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:54 am

I would not give up yet. It was just a poor weather year next year could be just what we want. You did better then some people I know. My buddy got water for opening weekend and all the water was gone within a month. He shot 3 ducks & 1 goose. HIs club cost 7500 for the tank. But no one, even the farmers though it would be this bad. I was checking the long range weather forecast back in July & Aug and at that time they called for above normal rain and above normal temp. So there you go even the weather people missed it.
retired
hunter

Postby zink freak » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:01 pm

my club was bad all season,tough year in the rice.however, hunted my friends rice the last weekend.we killed 56 ducks in two days by 9am.his rice had 15000 plus birds in it,and they never left.it was amazing,and changed my thinking on rice.all rice is not equal
zink freak
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:12 pm

Solid 200 bird season for us. Given the weather I couldn't be happier. We got water November 12th and it was very consistent for most of the season. I think we killed just under 80 birds in the last week of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
join the Coot Crusaders!!!
Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:53 am

That's a bum deal about the water. I manage our famialy club in the grasslands. It was a fair season the first 3 weeks and poor till the last week. I think I made 5 trips total.heres the thing about clubs that's probably different than rice. Bills have to be paid wether there's water or not. Infact we pay for water wether it's delivered or not. Final payment on water is due the last day of April. There is opportunity for the guy the shoots a crapy blind on a club if water delivery isn't a guaranty. It's going to be a quick way to move up if members drop out.

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting