Junior Hunts a good idea?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Junior Hunts a good idea?

Postby slowshooter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:08 pm

I'm concerned about the message that the Junior Hunt sends.

Hunting Juniors in the Deep South might be fun because they can hide flooded timber. But at places like Sacramento Refuge where there are just open ponds of sheet water - they are just stuck out there in the open.

I can certainly see the antis getting upset about the Junior Hunts but you know what sticks in the mud those people are.

Maybe they should be called something else… Any ideas?
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Re: Junior Hunts a good idea?

Postby deltahunter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Let's just hope they don't shoot any of those poor mallards
deltahunter
hunter

Postby Gomerking » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Bountiful Harvest Weekend for the Age Deprived
Earning Your Respect One Post at a Time

Dacowboy wrote:Jesus christ it's like the last day on Fiji with you guys on here.
Gomerking
hunter

Postby sharks » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Post season sure, that's great. Weekend before the NE opener, not so much a fan of.
sharks
hunter

Postby ShootThemInTheEye » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:49 pm

sharks wrote:Post season sure, that's great. Weekend before the NE opener, not so much a fan of.

Agree with this. Haven't made the drive to hunt the early NE opener since they started the junior hunts way to far to drive to hunt pounded birds. Not a real fan of the late season hunts either we are already hunting WAY too late. I would like to propose a solution so I don't sound anti youth hunt. A junior only week mid season say first week of December on all refuges and shorten our season another week and allow junior only on all refuges for the last week of January. Hunting into Feb. is just dumb. Hardcore hunters can still get out on private and other public lands during those 2 weeks. a win win win.

My 2 cents
ShootThemInTheEye
hunter

Postby Tyrtruion » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:20 pm

slowshooter wrote:Hunting Juniors in the Deep South might be fun because they can hide flooded timber.

Hahaha I get it...

I heard juniors taste better slow roasted over hickory. And smothered in sauce. Besides... Just like veal and lamb... Juniors taste better before the reach maturity.
Trust me. 8 hours in a pond with leaky waders, to not fire a single shot... Is still better than work.
Tyrtruion
hunter

Postby das mudhen » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:22 pm

Every hunt day can be a junior hunt day!!

das mudhen
"Lighten up Francis"

Sgt. Hulka
das mudhen
hunter

Postby zink freak » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:39 pm

not to sure what to call it.i hope they get a pic of my kids killing a whole family of specks tho.so happy they open the specks for the kids
zink freak
hunter

Postby yeltrk05 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:44 pm

i,m all for the junior hunts..i dont see a problem here...leting kids experience a good hunt is great... :thumbsup:
yeltrk05
hunter

Postby Rem887 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:08 pm

I don't see a problem with the junior hunts either
Rem887
hunter

Postby Green with Envy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:47 pm

NE CA junior pre-season hunts are two weeks before the NE Opener. This year, it was almost 4 weeks before the opener on the public areas so it had no effect. :hammer:

Not sure it impacts the NE opener. On some of the smaller areas like Almanor..perhaps. But not the larger areas.

Post-season junior hunts in BOS......great idea. Looking forward to it. :grooving:
Green with Envy
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:59 pm

I support junior hunts 100%
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:30 am

Junior hunts are a good idea. But why is it hardly anybody takes them out during the regulary season? Ive see like 10 jr hunters on a saturday when the birds were here. Then the jr hunt comes and then suddenly theres 75 or more?
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby PaulyQuackers » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:42 am

Where I'm from, the youth hunt as we call it, is the weekend before the season opener, which is the way it should be. As they say, women and children first, so why give them the last weekend to hunt, after most areas have been trashed. I believe they also have a second one in the middle of the season, now. I'm all for it. I can't wait till my kids are old enough to go duck hunting.
PaulyQuackers
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:52 am

i just love that people dont get the joke in the OP
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby das mudhen » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:08 am

quack-attack wrote:i just love that people dont get the joke in the OP

We get it, it was lame even for Slow, so we just ignored it and replied however we wanted....

das mudhen
"Lighten up Francis"

Sgt. Hulka
das mudhen
hunter

Postby Rem887 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:17 am

quack-attack wrote:i just love that people dont get the joke in the OP

I understood the joke but I'm going off what everyone else thinks he meant :lol3:
Rem887
hunter

Postby lcates » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:49 am

mendotakiller wrote:Junior hunts are a good idea. But why is it hardly anybody takes them out during the regulary season? Ive see like 10 jr hunters on a saturday when the birds were here. Then the jr hunt comes and then suddenly theres 75 or more?

I have never understood this myself guys just want to hang out and drink with their buddies I guess u hardly see any kids during the year its pretty sad.Hunt with your kids all year and teach them right don't just take them on the jr hunts and then when they r older they really haven't learned how to hunt right and sent out on their own to hunt like the rest of the refuge idiots teach them to work birds in close or don't shoot stop the dam sky scraping
lcates
hunter

Postby Noobhunter » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:22 am

mendotakiller wrote:Junior hunts are a good idea. But why is it hardly anybody takes them out during the regulary season? Ive see like 10 jr hunters on a saturday when the birds were here. Then the jr hunt comes and then suddenly theres 75 or more?

I think for some kids depending on where you hunt the walks and wading can be a bit tough, especially if you have to free roam. My daughter is my main hunting partner really good a getting up early and a pretty good shot. I think the hunts where only Juniors get to shoot are great, you can focus on safety and them getting the shots on the birds. this weekend will be the third time this year that I am just the retriever , looking forward to it.
Noobhunter
hunter

Postby bugman » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:35 am

I'm all for anything that recruits more juniors. They are the future of hunting and need to be supported and encouraged. Plus more hunters means more money for F&G and more participants to argue against the antis.
bugman
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:58 am

I have been taking both my kids duck hunting since they were 3, including to refuges. The jet sled is great for this. Before they had waders I would drag them out to an island or blind, in their little "boat" as they called it. I get really annoyed when I hear someone with a kid say "I cannot wait until my kid can go with me." What the hell are you waiting for? If you do not get them involved at an early age you will lose the battle to xbox, nintendo..etc. I hate that kids would rather stay home and play minecraft than go out in the field. Sure you give up some opportunities, You may not get to go as far as you would normally go or hunt as long as you normally would. Heck i used to take my son pheasant hunting and I used the jogger stroller. a hen spoonie with my kids is worth a stringer of greenheads by myself.
Attachments
20131208_095119.jpg
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:41 pm

Yea exactly everyone just wants to stand around and get drunk. Saying "oh I dont want my kid to learn on a refuge" My dad took me to places that nobody hunted...there was a reason. Because those ponds sucked! haha But we did get some shooting and we were never botherd by anyone. When I learned the ropes some more (and got addicted) we learned of new spots and then the rat races begin.
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby Noobhunter » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:49 pm

quack-attack wrote: a hen spoonie with my kids is worth a stringer of greenheads by myself.

Totally Agree! its amazing how I can't get my daughter to get off her phone to walk the dog a block but put if I put a gun in hand she will walk to the farthest and deepest pond on a refuge without a complaint.

SacJr.jpg
SacJr.jpg (75.11 KiB) Viewed 856 times

Sac Jr hunt 12/7
Noobhunter
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:16 pm

quack-attack wrote:I have been taking both my kids duck hunting since they were 3, including to refuges. The jet sled is great for this. Before they had waders I would drag them out to an island or blind, in their little "boat" as they called it. I get really annoyed when I hear someone with a kid say "I cannot wait until my kid can go with me." What the hell are you waiting for? If you do not get them involved at an early age you will lose the battle to xbox, nintendo..etc. I hate that kids would rather stay home and play minecraft than go out in the field. Sure you give up some opportunities, You may not get to go as far as you would normally go or hunt as long as you normally would. Heck i used to take my son pheasant hunting and I used the jogger stroller. a hen spoonie with my kids is worth a stringer of greenheads by myself.

Did you just say minecraft. Man I am older and that was before my time. Lol
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby LeakyW8ers » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:22 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
quack-attack wrote:I have been taking both my kids duck hunting since they were 3, including to refuges. The jet sled is great for this. Before they had waders I would drag them out to an island or blind, in their little "boat" as they called it. I get really annoyed when I hear someone with a kid say "I cannot wait until my kid can go with me." What the hell are you waiting for? If you do not get them involved at an early age you will lose the battle to xbox, nintendo..etc. I hate that kids would rather stay home and play minecraft than go out in the field. Sure you give up some opportunities, You may not get to go as far as you would normally go or hunt as long as you normally would. Heck i used to take my son pheasant hunting and I used the jogger stroller. a hen spoonie with my kids is worth a stringer of greenheads by myself.

Did you just say minecraft. Man I am older and that was before my time. Lol

https://minecraft.net/
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting