Tule lake with Shell Bloch

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Postby Cafowler » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:02 pm

Just read duckfan's post.... Reminded me of the last time I saw Shell. 6 of us had a horrible day on the mash and were staying in the Ellis motel. Shell was not guiding any longer but still loved the pursuit of waterfowl. He casually walked over and asked about our day... Then as he turned around to leave he said go to unit 8 in the morning, it will be foggy and left it at that... Well a sleepless night with a levee race and an unforgettable boat ride.... By 830 in the morning we had 6 limits of ducks and 12 geese.... I know Shell moved to Alaska... Has anyone heard from him?? Any other stories??
Somewhere a small town has awoken, only to find the village idiot has left and taken his shotgun....
Cafowler
hunter

Re: Tule lake with Shell Bloch

Postby finsnfeathershunter » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:54 am

All of my run ins with him were from my younger days. Learned how to ramp block and road block while driving slow, flashlight tricks and blinding others with flashlights water reflection to guys behind you in the canal, dropping off decoys to keep others from coming closer and more tricks.

The best thing I remember was watching him get done shooting out in Unit 4A. He went to the dike/canal and marked the water edge with white flagging on a stick to set his turn off for the next morning in the dark. So after hunting we went and pulled his marker up and put it about 200 yards further down the canal that put him into solid nut grass. With zero moon it would be impossible to see much to his left side.

Then we remarked his old turn with a willow branch that we could use and see. Next morning he was just ahead of us in the canal and we were right on his butt in an empty boat with just me 3 decoys and another guy and our other friend behind us with the rest of the stuff in another boat.

Ol Schell goes flying down the canal, past our willow mark and to his flag. We turn off at the willow, drop me off not too far from the canal in a tule patch with 3 decoys and 2 flashlights and the other guy takes the boat back to where Schell was hunting the day before. About this time I can hear him cussing about not being in the right spot. :lol3: Then our other boat shows up with the remaining gear and makes a show of using lights and setting out decoys not too far from me. By the time he came back it looked like 3 seperate set ups where he was the day before. Man was he pissed!

Those were the days. I was a jr in high school that year.

We used to mess with Marcillac too back then. Him and Schell would team up in 4A but we were quick learners and could pull the same tricks. Moved a shotgun shell box marker on him too next to the canal also but that time up the canal towards the ramp about a couple hundred yards.

Not anymore. My racing anybody days are long ,long past. For the younger crowd.
finsnfeathershunter
State Moderator

Postby derbyacresbob » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:29 am

I will never forget seeing Shell Bloch and his clients posing for pictures in front of the Mallard where they were going to have their birds cleaned.

They had 35 green heads and 10 specks, they had a great day.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby berdnird » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:29 pm

finsnfeathers....

That was one of the best posts I've ever seen. Amazing story, highly entertaining....truly great.
berdnird
hunter

Postby berdnird » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:24 pm

Not being sarcastic at all. That was a great story. I can just see the old timer being pissed that you bested him.
berdnird
hunter

Postby finsnfeathershunter » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:08 pm

[quote="berdnird"]Not being sarcastic at all. That was a great story. I can just see the old timer being pissed that you bested him.[/quote]

OK sometimes typed words are hard to read :thumbsup:

Oh he was pissed for sure. No doubt he knew who we were but never said a word to us. Fun times back then.
finsnfeathershunter
State Moderator

Postby Duckrig » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:03 pm

Shell was the nicest guy on the planet at the boat ramp. Cuss you out in the marsh. Had a few run ins with over the years. Learned alot about playing the game at Lower Klamath watching him.
Duckrig
hunter

Postby Cafowler » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:35 pm

Shell had so many tricks... I remember him running warm water through his motor so it would start faster in the marsh...
Somewhere a small town has awoken, only to find the village idiot has left and taken his shotgun....
Cafowler
hunter

Postby blackdog58 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:49 am

Last time I saw Shell he and Jimmy S were seeing how loud they could yell at each other in area 9. After a while it became quite comical because they were serious as all get out. I couldn't help but imagine how their clients felt. Spent more time watching the other guys then getting birds.

I just sat in the corner and picked off the singles and pairs with minimum shooting. That would quiet things down....for about 10 minutes. Then the WWE started all over again.

I loved the way you get that echo off the hills when you shot in that area.
blackdog58
hunter

Postby Goosecrazy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:22 pm

Tule Lake will now be without the Mallard. Closed its doors for good this past December. The place is really changing.
Goosecrazy
hunter

Postby das mudhen » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:38 pm

Hunted with him a few times, and he treated us extremely well.

Given that others seem to use his tactics, I'd say Shell was a typical duck hunter.....

das mudhen
"Lighten up Francis"

Sgt. Hulka
das mudhen
hunter

Postby ucsdryder » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:33 pm

I remember him and another guy screaming at eachother in tule. The other guy was trying to figure out how to cross the ditch an was threatening to kill him. I am still convinced to this day he was dead serious too. Shell could piss people off like you wouldn't believe. I was about 10 at the time. I will never forget it. The guy is a legend up there. He hunted that hole in tule so often everyone still calls it shells hole. Could never beat that SOB out there. He was so fast at the launch ramp it was unreal.

Great story about moving his marker light. That's classic.
ucsdryder
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting