Precious water next season?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Precious water next season?

Postby duckdoa » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:41 pm

So if the draught continues who will have wells or water to hunt their existing blinds?
I've seen the posts on the lack of water forcast on the west side and their woes and also the links for Glen/Colusa Water District posted earlier. Does anyone have links or info on Butte County water or surrounding areas primarily used by waterfowlers?
Every single hunter I've talked to seems to be at the mercy of some unknown or tight lipped entity. There has to be some source we can all get more info from. I'll keep asking around and also am wondering what the costs per acre are to pump from a well if needed. I'm sure someone out there knows.
Good luck and let it rain!
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Oops that's just ducks and geese...
duckdoa
hunter

Re: Precious water next season?

Postby blugoose » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:27 pm

Twice as much to use well water. Still don't make the ducks fly
blugoose
hunter

Postby hntndux » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:11 pm

Could be interesting, I have seen districts in the past release water at the last minute??, and I know they all have different sources so it depends on their source? West side probably wont get much grow water never mind decomp.. and yes wells are very expensive to run, most hunters would opt out?? But that being said.. if there turns out to be 15-30% of the water we have been seeing out there? the ducks aren't going to have anyplace to hide except the refuges. and they wont all fit there..Could be good for the guys that have water???
hntndux
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:18 pm

I have friends in all aspects of CA water. they all say that we are pretty much screwed. we will be having to play catch up in CA regarding these bad years.

oh yeah, even guys with wells won't have water either next season at this rate.
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby Butta boom » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:34 pm

First, the amount of rice grown will be greatly reduced. That will cut the possibilities to winter flood by about half. Then a greatly increased term 91, or a Gov. intervention will cut it further. The farmers will decide what to plant based on the highest yield potential acres, duck hunting rents won't matter in this equation, unless you are in a owner/operator type of gun club.

The lack of information is due to the final appraisal of our situation not being formulated yet. The farmers will know by April what they can plant, the winter water won't be known until Sept.

Anybody that signs a lease that doesn't allow for a refund for lack of water is very foolish.
Butta boom
hunter

Postby hntndux » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:50 am

A lease?? whats that?? in all the years, the only paper I ever received was from Conway Ranch, back in the day and Murdock. Everyone else, cash and a handshake.. I have a buddy who paid this year, down near Sac airport, never got flooded, now the guy says he's holding their money for next year??
hntndux
hunter

Postby quack-attack » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:37 am

alot of guys around the richvale area are saying about the same thing..first they dont know if the fields will be planted, likely wont have water, if they do have water they might sell it, (water might be worth more than rice this year), if they do have rice they dont know if they will have water to flood for ducks. quail hunting is starting to sound pretty good next year...or spend my duck money on an out of state elk.
“A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise.” Aldo Leopold
quack-attack
hunter

Postby retired » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:59 am

We have had years in the pass with no rain in the winter. But come March & April we ended up with 10 -12 in of rain. So there is still some hope Just have to wait and see how it goes.
retired
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:00 pm

If you guys like to shoot we may have a 50 year long clays season. :grooving:

Dust off that clay gun, buy a vest and a train car load of shells.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:27 pm

I manage our small family club in the grasslands. Our water was cut off the weekend before Christmas. Luckily I had planned ahead and raised the water level in our club to the Max and we finished the season in good shape. Our grasslands water district ditch tender said if we don't get anymore rain we will flood as normal in September once the clubs are full that's all there is. There is no spring or summer maintenance water period. Pray for rain.

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Postby Privileged hunter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:04 pm

If we don't get rain I can only amagine how the delta will shoot next year
Privileged hunter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:43 pm

Nothing but mallards out at the Delta and you don't want to hurt them. You should hunt at Yolo. :hammer: :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting