Post Season Youth Hunt Info on Sac Complex Refuges

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, duckman2000

Postby DuckFan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:08 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details from Staff:

I am posting information on this weekends Youth hunt on the 4 North Valley Federal Refuges. I have had several hunters contact me with lots of questions. I do not have information about Upper Butte or Gray Lodge as far as lottery, sweat line, or party size. Hopefully someone will post information.

To participate in these Youth Waterfowl Hunts, federal regulations require that hunters must be 15 years of age or younger and must be accompanied by a non-hunting adult 18 years of age or older.

The adult who accompanies the youth hunter(s) does not need to have a hunting license or purchase a pass.
The youth hunter must have a hunting license with a hip validation. They do not need a Federal stamp. And do not need to purchase a pass.

The maximum party size on the Federal Refuges (Sacramento. Delevan, Colusa and Sutter) is four. No more than 2 junior hunters/non-hunters per adult.

All four Fed Refuges allow 4 people on the reservation, lottery and first serve.

Sacramento NWR has 34 blinds, 9 assigned ponds, 3 disabled blinds and a free roam area. 59 able bodied reservations and 3 disabled reservations are drawn for this refuge. Reservation hunters need to be on the area no later than 2 ½ hrs before shoot time. Lottery hunters should be on the area no later than 1 hr and 15 min before shoot-time.

Delevan NWR has 16 blind sites (stake on an island and you have to stay within 100’ of the stake), 10 assigned ponds, 3 disabled blinds and a free roam area. 39 able bodied reservations and 3 disabled reservations are drawn for this refuge. Reservation hunters need to be on the area no later than 2 hrs before shoot time. Lottery hunters should be on the area no later than 1 hr and 15 min before shoot-time.

Colusa NWR has 13 assigned ponds, 2 disabled sites and east side/west side free roam area. 26 able bodied reservations and 2 disabled reservations are drawn for this area. Reservation hunters need to be on the area no later than 2 hrs before shoot time. Lottery hunters should be on the area no later than 1 hr and 15 min before shoot-time.

Sutter NWR has 11 assigned ponds and 1 disabled site. 19 able bodied reservations and 1 mobility impaired reservation. Reservation hunters need to be on the area no later than 2 hrs before shoot time. Lottery hunters should be on the area no later than 1 hr and 15 min before shoot-time.

The gates will be open at 6pm on Friday night and there will be a lottery draw at 8pm on Friday and Saturday night.
Youth hunters may walk on and sign up to hunt on either day up until 3pm.

There will be over- night parking with a night person to sign hunters in and pre-register reservations. No tents or open fires allowed. There is no running water on these areas. It is recommended that hunters bring their own water.
The Duck and Goose limits will be the same as the in season hunts 7 per day, which may include: 7 mallards no more than 2 females,2 pintail, 2 canvasback, 2 redheads, 3 scaup.The Goose limit is 10 per day, which may include: 10 white geese and 6 dark geese ( including Specks).

Youth hunters may shoot up to 3 White Fronted Geese (Specks) per day on Sac, Del, and Colusa NWR. And 6 White Fronted Geese on Sutter NWR.

The shell limit is the same-no more than 25 in the field. Only the youth hunter can carry shells and must be accompanied by an adult at all times including returning to their vehicle for more shells.

Chest waders are recommended.

Due to lack of cover on some of the better hunt sites it is recommended that you bring portable blinds or blind cover.
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Re: Post Season Youth Hunt Info on Sac Complex Refuges

Postby Dianne » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:19 pm

Thank you Duck Fan. I meant to post the info on this forum but forgot my password..... On another note if anyone needs any information about Delevan's blind sites, assigned ponds or free roam they can send me an e-mail. My e-mail address is alittlebit5150@gmail.com.

Dianne
Dianne
Newb

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:22 pm

I laughed at your email addy. That's funny. :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Noobhunter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:04 pm

That's good info didn't know the req that youths have to accompany parents in walk of shame. Any idea if adults can use gun to finish cripples?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Noobhunter
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Noobhunter wrote:That's good info didn't know the req that youths have to accompany parents in walk of shame. Any idea if adults can use gun to finish cripples?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kids need to use the gun....period. If warden's see a gun in the hands of an adult -ticket will surely follow.
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:56 pm

Dianne wrote:Thank you Duck Fan. I meant to post the info on this forum but forgot my password..... On another note if anyone needs any information about Delevan's blind sites, assigned ponds or free roam they can send me an e-mail. My e-mail address is alittlebit5150@gmail.com.

Dianne

I wasn't sure Di if you were going to post here. I posted the info on 4 forums.

Thans for taking the time to put the details together. You are truly an asset to the hunters. I don't hunt Delevan as much as I used too, but I am still on the Hunter Committe at Sac..... and Del always does a great job!

Rick
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting