Odds and Ends

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Odds and Ends

Postby #4Buckshot » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:44 pm

After a hunt this season, I decided to go to the Maxwell Inn for some dinner. Seated at the big table was a large group of rice farmers. You could tell by their all similar age that they either inherited their farm, from their grandfathers or had taken over operations from their fathers. There was a little talk about de-comping, none about waterfowl and most of the talk
revolved around mundane issues, at least to waterfowlers, concerning machinery. The big issue, shared by everyone, seemed to revolve around crawdads and how they "gummed-up" everything. Then, one of the "farmers" stated: "You know my grandfather, and father, used to talk about how Maxwell, and this surrounding area, was once the pheasant capital of the world"
"What the heck happened?"
I tell you what, that entire table got so quiet you could've heard an ant fart...and it stayed that way for at least a minute or two. Then the clinking of tableware on dishes took over and finally one of the other "farmers" said: "Yeah, them damn crawdads"....and the discussion was on again.
There's no moral to this little story, but among other things, the absolute and total generational
disconnect is what saddened me.

With the season 2/3rds plus two days gone, I found myself talking to the operators of a well known "bait-shop", which processes birds, about how their business was doing. As some of you know, this operation processes birds by the thousands up to 10k at the end of the year. At that point in the season, they were almost 80% down in birds received. I asked if a good January would improve things and they said there was no chance of that.
I wonder what their final #'s were?

Best staff of the year award goes to Little Dry Creek.
On a foggy morning in December I showed up, alone, at the check station, to have my MI reservation processed. Evidently the fog and the sinage, or lack of, could have been a problem for me since I had never hunted those blinds before, so one of the staff took the time to draw detailed directions, on the LDC map, to the MI parking lot and then to the blind.
As I thanked him and turned to leave he said: "Wait a minute" "If you can wait till we're done with reservations, I'll grab another guy and we'll go up there with you, help you find the pond, get to the blind, set up your decoys and get you all squared away"
I swear to God I almost started to get "weepy" as this was the most generous offer, from refuge personal, ever presented to me in 51 yrs of refuge hunting.
I declined and thanked him once again, ending up waiting for light before leaving the MI parking lot to set up.
Second place goes to Yolo.
The manager there is very approachable and is a fountain of information. He will take the time to explain
to you any aspect of the operation from bird counts/harvest #'s to water costs and everything in between.
The others in the group seem to follow his lead.
Plus, I like the speed-bumps he put in between Jan 15 and Jan 18th to slow down the youngsters speeding towards the check station. I saw more than 1 bag of decoys get launched from the bed of a truck.
It's not a coincidence that both these venues are state run.
#4Buckshot
hunter

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby duckdoa » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:19 pm

Where's the "like" button? Great to hear humanity and compassion survives.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Oops that's just ducks and geese...
duckdoa
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:36 pm

Thanks for sharing. good read.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby 34 grains of Herco » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:24 am

great post.
34 grains of Herco
hunter

Postby Green with ring » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:35 am

Yea, good story, I liked reading it.
Green with ring
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:36 am

This story stinks we all know those lazy welfare tax dollar sucking leaches we hear about all the time would never do anything of the sort... :grooving:
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby Butta boom » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:50 am

[quote="#4Buckshot"]After a hunt this season, I decided to go to the Maxwell Inn for some dinner. Seated at the big table was a large group of rice farmers. You could tell by their all similar age that they either inherited their farm, from their grandfathers or had taken over operations from their fathers.

Just how does one look that has inherited a farm? Is it the same look as someone that has inherited a stock portfolio or a home in Beverly Hills? Or is it more like someone that is still living at home and driving their moms old car?

Please, keep your bias against farmers to yourself until you are experienced enough to have gained some first hand knowledge about one. Most hunting for waterfowl in this state is done on private land, by the grace of a farmer. If you will lose the attitude, and make an effort you may find a gracious landlord that becomes your best hunting partner for the rest of your life. Keep up the good refuge stories.
Butta boom
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:09 pm

Butta boom wrote:Please, keep your bias against farmers to yourself until you are experienced enough to have gained some first hand knowledge about one. Most hunting for waterfowl in this state is done on private land, by the grace of a farmer.

You don't keep your bias to yourself why should anyone else? :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Butta boom » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:37 pm

Giving a class of people a fair judgement until proven otherwise is not a bias. And I am not hunting on any liberal individuals land, if there is any. I understand where the template comes from that feeds that attitude. Some of it is media fed, some even comes from our schools, and all of it is generally wrong, and might prevent an otherwise decent young hunter from ever finding a good place to hunt.

Many rice farmers hunt ducks. Some of them are not only great at hunting but have the talent and desire to develop properties into more productive farms, that are also great hunting/habitat properties as well. Most of these lands in the Sac Valley form the foundation of our resource. The grasslands owe their existence to the cattlemen Miller and Lux. They first devised the system to divert water from the San Joaquin onto those lands to irrigate their winter pastures. That area would not have water rights otherwise.

Somewhere it has become fashionable to demean the character or intelligence of the American Farmer. Instead of eavesdropping in on a conversation I suggest perhaps striking up a real conversation, introducing oneself and get some real understanding of what it takes to grow crops for a living.
Butta boom
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:42 pm

Butta boom wrote:
Please, keep your bias against farmers to yourself until you are experienced enough to have gained some first hand knowledge about one. Most hunting for waterfowl in this state is done on private land, by the grace of a farmer. If you will lose the attitude.

Lose the ATTITUDE you got to be kidding me...take a look in the mirror, reflect on your own postings and then read your own advice...where does that lead you? A bit of hating without regard to applying the same principles you espouse to others somehow exempting yourself....that and the fact you go overboard just bit with your one man propaganda campaign.

This from the guy who called folks who work at the refuges drones and glorified gate openers showing them no respect at all! Tell you what, meet a few of the folks who work at the refuges spend some time doing what they do and then come back and let's have this conversation all over again with that same first hand knowledge you lack yourself but are demanding from others.

I'll let you know you how can tell who the rice farmers are and they are easy to identify, they are the ones occasionally driving around the fields in the new trucks and having lunch with their buddies at the Maxwell Inn while the rest of the real work is actually being done... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

There are some other facts you might ponder what was there "before" the farms....perhaps wetlands and waterfowl? Who drained the wetlands? Oh Yeah those who you are championing who are responsible for the infrastructure which drained the wetlands and then sends water to desert areas to "farm". The same guy who's new friend isn't some unattached hunter but goes by the name or the "Grace" of Benjamin. I also bet you are glad you got that "farm" bill past as well...so you can continue to rag on liberals all the while sucking at the same subsidized government teat with a vaccum cleaner. :eek:

You certainly have the power to man up and apologize were you might have went astray.
Last edited by marsh-mello on Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:17 pm

No he doesn't. :lol3:
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Butta boom » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:35 pm

Mr. Mello, the farm bill that just passed, ended all direct payments. That's right. It did. It will make no difference to me and my farm. It will however fully fund the food stamp program for another five years.

The new pickup part, well I did buy one in 2013, replacing a 2011 model that had over hundred thousand on the odometer, mostly looking at my crops. The jealousy over other peoples success and accomplishments may prove harmful to your overall well being.

I still want to know what somebody who inherents a farm looks like?
Butta boom
hunter

Postby marsh-mello » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Butta boom wrote:Mr. Mello, the farm bill that just passed, ended all direct payments. That's right. It did. It will make no difference to me and my farm. It will however fully fund the food stamp program for another five years.

The new pickup part, well I did buy one in 2013, replacing a 2011 model that had over hundred thousand on the odometer, mostly looking at my crops. The jealousy over other peoples success and accomplishments may prove harmful to your overall well being.

I still want to know what somebody who inherents a farm looks like?

No jealousy here just satirizing some of your inconsistency and lack of self application especially regarding the first hand knowledge issue which you side stepped...and of course Slowshooters last accurate statement. Well a 5 billion dollar program which paid out farmers not to grow crops...it's about time don't you think? Although it appears only to be a political bait and switch, in this case robbing Peter to pay his co-joined twin Paul who is one and the same. It does beg the question who would have taken those kinds of payments or figured they were entitled to them while openly criticizing others?
Last edited by marsh-mello on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marsh-mello
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:59 pm

Butta boom wrote:Mr. Mello, the farm bill that just passed, ended all direct payments. That's right. It did. It will make no difference to me and my farm.

Or anyone elses... Here's why:

NYT-
Some of the savings from the elimination of direct payments will be added to the crop insurance program, in which the federal government covers losses from poor yields or declines in revenue. It also has its critics.

“It’s a classic bait-and-switch proposal to protect farm subsidies,” said Vincent H. Smith, a professor of farm economics at Montana State University and a longtime critic of agriculture subsidies. “They’ve eliminated the politically toxic direct payments program and added the money to a program that will provide farmers with even larger subsidies.”
slowshooter
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:05 pm

The few rice farmers I have run into are mostly tenant farmers leasing the land from owners who rarely live in the area. The owners, who may have or not inherited the land probably knew how hard farming really is . They got the hell out finding that college and practicing a career in banking, medicine, or law is much easier than living the life as a farmer.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:17 pm

You know, I didn't pick up any negative bias from #4's story, I think he was just colorfully describing the age of the farmers, and that they had the air of having been around it a while. I actually got a perfect picture of farmers that I know towards whom I have no ill will. And yes there are some really helpful and polite people working on refuges who have to put up with quite a few impolite hunters year in and year out, so it is a wonder there are some who are still polite and helpful.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:04 am

goosehappy wrote:You know, I didn't pick up any negative bias from #4's story,

Me neither. Just sounded like time moves on and in the process sometimes memories get lost.

And yes there are some really helpful and polite people working on refuges who have to put up with quite a few impolite hunters year in and year out, so it is a wonder there are some who are still polite and helpful.

Some? I would say most. There really was only one guy at the refuges that I felt was genuinely unqualified and the USFWS determined the same thing and transferred him elsewhere. Never have had to deal with someone working at the refuges that has been disrespectful or otherwise a jerk. If they aren't all sunshine and roses 24/7 that's okay by me. Even the professionals have days that are tough - the only pros that have to slap on a happy face are actors because that's what they are paid to do.
Last edited by slowshooter on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby Gomerking » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:13 am

goosehappy wrote:You know, I didn't pick up any negative bias from #4's story, I think he was just colorfully describing the age of the farmers, and that they had the air of having been around it a while. I actually got a perfect picture of farmers that I know towards whom I have no ill will. And yes there are some really helpful and polite people working on refuges who have to put up with quite a few impolite hunters year in and year out, so it is a wonder there are some who are still polite and helpful.

Completely agree.

GK
Earning Your Respect One Post at a Time

Dacowboy wrote:Jesus christ it's like the last day on Fiji with you guys on here.
Gomerking
hunter

Postby Mallards Only » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:34 am

marsh-mello wrote:
Butta boom wrote:
Please, keep your bias against farmers to yourself until you are experienced enough to have gained some first hand knowledge about one. Most hunting for waterfowl in this state is done on private land, by the grace of a farmer. If you will lose the attitude.

Lose the ATTITUDE you got to be kidding me...take a look in the mirror, reflect on your own postings and then read your own advice...where does that lead you? A bit of hating without regard to applying the same principles you espouse to others somehow exempting yourself....that and the fact you go overboard just bit with your one man propaganda campaign.

As usual, the liberal voice of ignorance and jealousy has spoken. This is a direct result of the Obama administration who has mistakenly given all their liberal leaches who have never done anything to merit being considered in the upper echelon of wage earners the belief that they are almighty and somehow responsible for the success of America.
marsh-mello wrote:
This from the guy who called folks who work at the refuges drones and glorified gate openers showing them no respect at all! Tell you what, meet a few of the folks who work at the refuges spend some time doing what they do and then come back and let's have this conversation all over again with that same first hand knowledge you lack yourself but are demanding from others.

That's pretty much what you are. Prove to me different.
marsh-mello wrote:I'll let you know you how can tell who the rice farmers are and they are easy to identify, they are the ones occasionally driving around the fields in the new trucks and having lunch with their buddies at the Maxwell Inn while the rest of the real work is actually being done... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Have you ever spent a day in the life of a farmer? Obviously not, although you insist that he should spend some time doing what you do. I'm sure the >100K mi that he put on his truck came from trips to the restaurant in Maxwell. The same truck that stimulates the economy and keeps many others with jobs in Detroit in addition to the many workers in the field that he employs as well. Does that mean that all the work done on the refuges is done by those below you while you sit around and respond to posts on the forums?
marsh-mello wrote:There are some other facts you might ponder what was there "before" the farms....perhaps wetlands and waterfowl? Who drained the wetlands? Oh Yeah those who you are championing who are responsible for the infrastructure which drained the wetlands and then sends water to desert areas to "farm". The same guy who's new friend isn't some unattached hunter but goes by the name or the "Grace" of Benjamin. I also bet you are glad you got that "farm" bill past as well...so you can continue to rag on liberals all the while sucking at the same subsidized government teat with a vaccum cleaner. :eek:

I don't see any north state farmers championing the Brown's water pipeline to maintain left-wing water needs in the liberal leaning parts of the state. Nor do I see any north state farmers championing sending our water to allow farming in desert areas. As for draining the wetlands, be consistent. In one breath, you all are complaining about too much decomp water which seems to be a pretty good resource based on the numbers of wintering waterfowl using it for loafing and food. The same decomp water that is now required as a direct result of whining by liberal urbanites about the smoke resulting from rice burning. In the next breath, you're complaining that farmers drained the resource. Take some responsibility for what you caused.

Sucking on the subsidized govt teat?? Far from it but, with your ignorance, it's no surprise that you would fall for the left-wing propaganda and believe that farmers are sitting around waiting for their subsidy checks to arrive so they can head down to the local bar and bask in their new-found wealth while laborers toil in their fields doing all the work. Do you have any idea how much those direct payments amounted to in the overall scheme of farming? Hardly anything, although it's no surprise that you wouldn't know that since you've never walked a single day in a farmer's shoes as you insist he do. Your ignorance shows even more in your statement about the Farm Bill as those direct payments are now a thing of the past so there are no subsidies any longer. What will this mean? It means that small family farms will have an even more difficulty in keeping up with technology and higher yields and will likely lose their farms to larger conglomerates who are increasingly taking over the farming industry as they are the only ones who can afford to do it efficiently and make any kind of profit. When that happens and they no longer allow hunting on those properties, guys like you will complain that the big corporations are taking away more and more of their liberties and pastimes and whine about the way it used to be, all-the-while denying that they had anything to do with the sad state of affairs through their liberal policies. I got news for you. It's called Capitalism and the successful hard workers and "1%" in this country will continually find ways to remain successful through hard work, entrepreneurial-ism, and innovation. Despite what your fearless cult-leader has led you to believe, the wealth gap and class gap is widening, not narrowing, as a result of his policies. As long as socialistic policies continue to drive this country, the economy will continue to suffer and more individuals will continue to leach off food stamps, welfare, and other subsidies rather than finding ways of supporting themselves like farmers do.
Mallards Only
hunter

Postby finsnfeathershunter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:02 am

Mallards Only sounds a lot like Green Is Gold. Hmmmmmm.......

"Must be somebody else who relies on facts, truth, and observation rather than propaganda. :thumbsup: "

:no: No that's not it.
Last edited by finsnfeathershunter on Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
finsnfeathershunter
hunter

Postby Mallards Only » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:04 am

finsnfeathershunter wrote:Mallards Only sounds a lot like Green Is Gold. Hmmmmmm.......

Must be somebody else who relies on facts, truth, and observation rather than propaganda. :thumbsup:
Mallards Only
hunter

Postby LeakyW8ers » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:16 am

Mallards Only wrote:
finsnfeathershunter wrote:Mallards Only sounds a lot like Green Is Gold. Hmmmmmm.......

Must be somebody else who relies on facts, truth, and observation rather than propaganda. :thumbsup:

Yep, one and the same.

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showpost.php?p=9985907&postcount=21

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=186316&p=3998809&sid=e325be860badad61fde69f40a5956178#p3998809
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
LeakyW8ers
hunter

Postby Mallards Only » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:31 am

WOW! Sherlock Holmes! :bow:
Mallards Only
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:48 am

That's not possible. Green is Gold is a certifiable moron - but Mallards Homely just pretends to be a dufus.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby finsnfeathershunter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:54 am

:hi:
Last edited by finsnfeathershunter on Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
finsnfeathershunter
hunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting