Odds and Ends

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby slowshooter » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Mallards Only wrote:Care to have an IQ test competition? Loser stops posting on these forums forever?


You can't compete yourself out of the hole you dug yourself into. Plus, competing would take you away from valuable teat sucking time that you need to keep taxpayer money flowing in your direction.

Besides, if you went away I would miss the laffs.

So tell the truth (if you can).

Are you a farmer or a landowner? (I'm going to guess yes)
Have you ever crowded someone on the refuges? (I'm going to guess yes)
Did someone almost clock you and that's why you stopped going to refuges? (I'm going to guess yes)

At this point I'm curious because I appear to have pegged you on all counts just by reading what you've posted.

On a completely different note. Yesterday I was mentioned to someone that in my entirely unschooled opinion, you exhibit signs of being an undiagnosed psychopath. Please don't take that as insult because being one doesn't automatically make you a criminal or a killer or even remotely naughty. I also mentioned that type of development can manifest itself as excessive competitiveness, and here you are posting up the very next day that you want to compete your way out of the corner into which you have painted yourself. Lucky guess?

Going to guess further that your compulsive competitiveness has probably has made you pretty good at your job. Another lucky guess on my part?

I will bet on this with some confidence though... That competitiveness probably has made you a complete pain in the butt to hunt around, since you would try to force your way into a pond without regard to folks already there... When people are solely guided by their own desires during recreation, it's tough to be considered anything but a jerk - even if they're decent at home and work. It would also address what appears to be an emotional range that barely crosses the small divide between scorn and anger, although that would further explain my earlier observations about how you must define everyone with a low bar so you can function. In short, folks with that issue would act like a jerk no matter what they did, and they wouldn't really care enough to try and change - not because they might be lazy - but because they wouldn't be able to change even if they wanted to do so.

Again, no offense meant, none of us gets to chose which alleles we get or how our brains are formed. If you are functioning well at home and work, good for you and good for your family. I'm just trying to divine an answer that explains the cognitive issues that I see exhibited in your posts.

If my opinion is on the money, this thread is just another competition that you think you can win - as long as you keep swinging. Which is why you say you are done and as you yourself stated, you have no explanation as to why you keep coming back.

All that said. If you are taking government money and aren't poverty stricken and hungry? You're being an opportunistic welfare recipient and IMO that is ethically indefensible.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9019
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA


Re: Odds and Ends

Postby Mallards Only » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:26 pm

Wrong on most counts. You figure out which ones. After all, you're the expert.
Mallards Only
hunter
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:49 pm
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby slowshooter » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:06 pm

High Sierras wrote: The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Oh, wait, there's a big chunk up you left nostril. Mmmmmmm... sticky!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Keep trying... it's almost working.


Any time anyone says "mmmmm... sticky!" I have to laugh... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9019
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby slowshooter » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:12 pm

Mallards Only wrote:Wrong on most counts. You figure out which ones. After all, you're the expert.


Sorry bub. I can only offer opinions. Only you can legitimately answer the questions - although I'm not sure than anyone would believe you - even if you were truthful.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9019
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby PetriDuck » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:15 pm

.
Attachments
Keep scrolling.jpg
Keep scrolling.jpg (68.31 KiB) Viewed 480 times
PetriDuck
hunter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby marsh-mello » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:20 pm

Nyhan, a PhD student at Duke University, and Reifler, at Georgia State University, suggest that Republicans might be especially prone to the backfire effect also closely linked with confirmation bias because "conservatives" (much like the one who self describes and labels here) may have more rigid views than liberals: Upon hearing a refutation, conservatives might "argue back" against the refutation in their minds, thereby strengthening their belief sometimes in misinformation. I present this not because I am universally applying these principles as much as I am pointing out how some here have self identified and there seem to be some obvious congruency.

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/06/10/ ... re-effect/

Given the attempted political polarization and repeated references to conservative and liberal attributes even including unabashed references to Fox News, I would say we have a classic case of the backfire effect. Where presenting facts with regard to a debate only serves to further strengthen ones previously held opinions. The reality is that a position is already been taken and the search for "facts" is not the subject of debate but the interpretation and application to supporting or refuting ones position is. Hence it matters not whether the farmers receives subsidies because in this case with a few there has been an acceptance that corporate welfare is positive and approved by those who are benefactors regardless and in the face other detrimental associative effects or other ironic fundamental conflicts with free market conservative ideology. I would say this is especially prevalent when one has a preconceived notion and as a sole emotion charged rebuttal attempts to pigeon holed the opposition based off of polarized political assumptions, where these positions have not been attributed to either the right or left. Having constructed a political supposition and applying this to a position in which one is never right before factual information is even presented, by this virtue alone, is actually a hallmark of extremist rhetoric and manifests itself across many self constructed boundaries.

This is not a conservative nor a liberal issue although by applying those attributes I think some posters they believe they will demonize the opposition by descriptive default have greater support from the "bandwagon" all the while conveniently ignoring their own mendacious complicity.

Tolstoy wrote,
"I know that most men—not only those considered clever, but even those who are very clever, and capable of understanding most difficult scientific, mathematical, or philosophic problems—can very seldom discern even the simplest and most obvious truth if it be such as to oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions they have formed, perhaps with much difficulty—conclusions of which they are proud, which they have taught to others, and on which they have built their lives."

Slow what you ultimately hope for is that a person be more introspective and take the road less traveled, learn and gain actual wisdom from life's experiences. Wisdom is different than just being "smart". There are plenty of "smart" people in the world and deluding themselves may actually be a convenient escape clause. The road less traveled....well they don't call it that for nothing.

While everyone who is human is subject to these effects...the conclusion from the study is that the effect has a more profound manifestation with conservatives. Hmm.... FACT For anyone to say any different they would have to conduct their own study and maintain scientific integrity as the researchers have done. Like that is going to happen. To make counter claims to the research would be the exact evidence of the effect.
Last edited by marsh-mello on Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Charter member of the "I only shoot bar belly geese club". I'm a Bar belly goose purist!
marsh-mello
hunter
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:30 pm

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby Mallards Only » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:54 am

Interesting article. Your interpretation and conclusion though--not so much. As usual, you have misinterpreted the article and misled those reading this thread who choose not to follow the link into one somehow defending your position when, in fact, it points to exactly the opposite. Perhaps, you should re-read it and open your own mind as the assertions go both ways and do not only apply to conservatives. The facts don't lie. Follow the truth.
Mallards Only
hunter
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:49 pm
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby LeakyW8ers » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:52 am

FIFY

Mallards Only wrote:The facts don't lie. Only I do.


Proof wrote:
LeakyW8ers wrote:Here is the Federal Tax Tables: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf

Here is the CA FTB tax rates for 2013: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2013_California_Tax_Rates_and_Exemptions.shtml


Mallards Only wrote:Here are the true tax tables, rather than the Romper Room ones that Leaky provided:

http://taxes.about.com/od/Federal-Income-Taxes/fl/Federal-Income-Tax-Rates-for-the-Year-2014.htm

http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/blog/2013/06/california-income-tax-rates-2013-now-highest-in-america/


Mallards Only wrote:The "tax table" that you provided is not from the IRS or the FTB. The ones I provided are. Even those on your side of the argument that know anything about taxes disagree with the validity of that table.


Apparently that high IQ you are claiming to have still does not provide you with the ability to read. I linked DIRECTLY to the IRS and FTB websites. YOU, however, DID NOT.




Yep, those look like they are directly from the IRS and FTB websites to me.

Start being honest with yourself and maybe, I seriously doubt it's possible, but maybe, you can be honest with others.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving isn't for you.

California Waterfowl Association Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member
National Rifle Association Member
User avatar
LeakyW8ers
hunter
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:49 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby Mallards Only » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:17 am

Sorry. My mistake. It was huntsprig who posted the tax tables that were misleading, if not inaccurate. All the posts run together sometimes. Unlike some, I can admit when I'm wrong.
Mallards Only
hunter
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:49 pm
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby Huntsprig » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:07 pm

Mallards Only wrote:Sorry. My mistake. It was huntsprig who posted the tax tables that were misleading, if not inaccurate. All the posts run together sometimes. Unlike some, I can admit when I'm wrong.

So, how are they misleading?
Huntsprig
hunter
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:42 am
Location: Sacramento, Ca.

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby slowshooter » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:32 pm

Hear that? Crickets.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9019
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:39 pm

chirp.




chirp.




chirp.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9019
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby Nabs » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:06 pm

When someone shows they have no intention of having an open mind, Intelligent people stop debating with them. Thus the crickets that you so eloquently point out. Subsidized farming puts more money back into the economy (and government coffers) than it takes out.

Would unsubsidized farming put in the same amount? Less? More?

I do not have the answer to that.
User avatar
Nabs
hunter
 
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:35 pm

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:12 pm

Nabs wrote:When someone shows they have no intention of having an open mind, Intelligent people stop debating with them. Thus the crickets that you so eloquently point out. Subsidized farming puts more money back into the economy (and government coffers) than it takes out.

Would unsubsidized farming put in the same amount? Less? More?

I do not have the answer to that.


http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/ten-reasons-cut-farm-subsidies

Still valid. Take a read.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9019
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby Nabs » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:40 pm

I read it, 35 billion in subsidies? Funny I can hardly find half that number mentioned anywhere else.
User avatar
Nabs
hunter
 
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:35 pm

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:10 pm

Nabs wrote:I read it, 35 billion in subsidies? Funny I can hardly find half that number mentioned anywhere else.



That must mean that he's entirely wrong and the sun revolves around the earth. :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9019
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby Nabs » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:29 pm

It is like starting a story with "It was a sunny night in California......"

anything after that is fiction
User avatar
Nabs
hunter
 
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:35 pm

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:13 pm

I'm sorry I can find nothing that states it was a sunny night in California so you must be wrong. :lol3:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9019
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:56 pm

http://www.cato.org/blog/five-reasons-repeal-farm-subsidies

Rugged individualists indeed. :lol3:
Especially when it comes to 4-wheeling over to a handout.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9019
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:27 pm

Hey, there's no point in being a welfare momma if it costs you personal capital. Most people would just stop.

Not the Farmers - they just go keep that taxpayer support on the down low.

http://www.downsizinggovernment.org/save-ewg-farm-subsidy-database
Last edited by slowshooter on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9019
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:28 pm

All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9019
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby speczilla » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:29 pm

Nabs wrote:Subsidized farming puts more money back into the economy (and government coffers) than it takes out.


That is the same nonsense that those who advocate for an extra two years of unemployment benefits (or any other government handout) argue. By extension, the federal government should be giving subsidies to every business, no?
speczilla
hunter
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:55 pm

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:33 pm

Farmers pretend that we're cutting and that they are going to die because of they won't get subsidies...

To quote the article... "Hogwash!"

http://www.downsizinggovernment.org/farm-bill-would-increase-spending-47
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9019
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby slowshooter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:36 pm

GOP hypocrisy? LOL! Yer kiddin'! :lol3:

This guy lifted the kilts and found shortcomings.

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/gop-hypocrisy-farm-bill
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9019
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Odds and Ends

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Easy, Slow. Not all farmers are eligible for subsidies.

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/jun/10 ... -subsidy10
User avatar
clampdaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 3616
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Where spoonies go to die

PreviousNext

Return to California Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: California Sprig, Google [Bot] and 13 guests